Homelands - Daily info sheets

Celiac Cruiser

I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to do photos and such on the computer but there is a Live Chat with Carolyn Spencer Brown in April 2015 on Cruise Critic with lots of info and pictures of menus and Dailys from her cruise that will give you an idea of what to expect. If you have specifics, I'm available.

CharTrav, That would be great. How do I access them on Google Drive or Drop Box?

Cheers!

After I scan and post them, I'll provide a link here from which you can download the file(s). Do you want the dailies merged into one big pdf file or one file for each day? I can do it either way.

Btw - our cruise started in Bergen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CharTrav

OK .. 'tis done. Went alot faster than I thought it would. Have uploaded them to my Viking Homelands 2016 folder in DropBox -- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v41tt71jnasjpu2/AADp_Qk6-C8GOPj1Z4uZ0FCwa?dl=0. The scanned Viking Daily sheets -- one for each day -- are stored in their own folder as PDF files. I discovered that I could -- so I did -- save them so that you can search each file for specific text. Hopefully, you'll find this ability useful.

The Viking Homelands 2016 folder also contains material I prepared to help us (hubby and me) select and plan which excursions we'd take: an excursion timeline (in PDF and Excel formats) and a consolidated view of all the excursions (detailed descriptions, prices, times, etc.) at each port of call. I shared this material with folks who were on the roll call for our cruise and on another Viking Homelands related thread. Even tho the information is specific to 2016 (prices) and cruise (schedule,etc.), I don't think 2017 will be all that different given that I started preparing this document in 2015 and then updated it when 2016 rolled around. I found the price changes were quite small and my estimated start times (based on duration and port arrival time) for paid excursions were pretty close. With respect to included excursions, I just had to wait until MyVikingJourney went live to know how many would be scheduled for each port (and when). The Viking Dailys should help alot there.

Just remembered -- there was somebody in the forum who scanned a bunch of menus (you asked about them too) -- including Manfredi's and Mamsen's. I had them but now I can't find them. Didn't keep them!!! However.. just found it .. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2198689.

Oh ... and one last thought - when planning for St Petersburg please remember that, unless you have a Visa, doing it on your own is NOT an option. You must be with either a Viking excursion or a private tour company. You don't want to arrive in St P and discover that you're stuck on board ship for 2 days .. unable to leave... which was the fate of one couple I spoke with as we were returning from our 2 day "Ultimate St Petersburg".

Have a great time planning your trip; it's almost .. but not quite... half the fun!!

Oh ... and one last thought - when planning for St Petersburg please remember that, unless you have a Visa, doing it on your own is NOT an option. You must be with either a Viking excursion or a private tour company. You don't want to arrive in St P and discover that you're stuck on board ship for 2 days .. unable to leave... which was the fate of one couple I spoke with as we were returning from our 2 day "Ultimate St Petersburg".

It is frustrating moments like this one when I wish that everyone would bother to read the fine print-- and that everyone who cruises took part in CC.

To clarify: You do not need to apply for a visa if you are booked with a Viking excursion or with a private tour company. However, you will only be allowed off the ship for the tour and you must stay with your group at all times.

If you wish to leave the ship on your own at any time, you must get a visa before you leave home. Read up about St. P on your own before you decide; there should be plenty of helpful reading in the ports of call section.

Edited by Peregrina651

It is frustrating moments like this one when I wish that everyone would bother to read the fine print-- and that everyone who cruises took part in CC.

To clarify: You do not need to apply for a visa if you are booked with a Viking excursion or with a private tour company. However, you will only be allowed off the ship for the tour and you must stay with your group at all times.

If you wish to leave the ship on your own at any time, you must get a visa before you leave home. Read up about St. P on your own before you decide; there should be plenty of helpful reading in the ports of call section.

Thank you for reinforcing my point. When we were planning this trip I made sure to read the fine print. Especially with respect to traveling in Russia. Perhaps because of the nature of my work or how I think, but I simply can't imagine not being concerned about the procedures for traveling to any country historically unfriendly to the US.

Thank you for reinforcing my point. When we were planning this trip I made sure to read the fine print. Especially with respect to traveling in Russia. Perhaps because of the nature of my work or how I think, but I simply can't imagine not being concerned about the procedures for traveling to any country historically unfriendly to the US.

Where does Viking dock in St.P? Are they able to dock along the Neva or are they stuck in the commercial dock yard?

Where does Viking dock in St.P? Are they able to dock along the Neva or are they stuck in the commercial dock yard?

Per the daily it was Passenger Port St Petersburg which was a huge complex in a particularly ugly area. Clearly meant for handling international travelers. You can find it in Google maps searching on that name. Just did. But couldn't get a link to it using the iPhone app.

Per the daily it was Passenger Port St Petersburg which was a huge complex in a particularly ugly area. Clearly meant for handling international travelers. You can find it in Google maps searching on that name. Just did. But couldn't get a link to it using the iPhone app.

Well that is an improvement over where we docked in 2007, where there was no way to get the mile or so from the the ship to the front gate -- and walking it was not even an option.

Edited by Peregrina651

Dauntless,

Could you please give me the departure and arrival times for each port? Since your cruise started in Stockholm, that would be helpful.

Also did you have shore excursions on the day of embarkation in Stockholm or only the 2nd day in Stockholm?

Thanks.

No problem. This info is probably buried somewhere in your confirmation but I know it changed from what was originally sent to me when I booked but that was a little over 2 years before the cruise and the ship had not been built yet. This is from the 9/4 sailing this year.

The second question first. There are no scheduled shore excursions on the day of arrival, except for the optional "Opera excursion' at 6:30. People arriving all during the day from embarkation @ 11:00 it would be hard to schedule with reliability due to travel. You dock overnight and the Day 2 included excursions started at 8:15 and there were four groups, with the last starting at 9:45. There were 4 optional excursions with starting times from 8:00- 9:15. Back on board by 1:45 with departure at 2:30. Free shuttle bus, day 2, walkable. "Captain's Welcome Party' 9:15

Day 3 Helsinki Arr 8:30--Dep. 5:00. Four groups of included from 9:15 w/last at 1:30. 5 optional tours from 8:45 to 12:15. Free 15-25 min (depends on traffic, those were our experience)shuttle bus and it's a long distance. Back on board 4:30. 'Songscape' 9:15 This was our CC M&M at 5:00 in Kitchen Table

Day 4 SPB Arr 7:00. 1 included excursion at 7:30, 1:00 or 2:30. 10 optional starting from 7:15 am - 7:15 pm. No free shuttle bus if you have a Visa and the port is quiet a distance. I saw from a You Tube Video from an employee of another cruise line, that it can be done on public transport but don't have the details. Let me repeat, to venture off the ship on your own you need a Visa. If you are with Shore Excursion, either with the ship or a local company, you will be covered. Otherwise, don't plan on getting off. You overnight here. "Mariinsky Singers" 9:15

Day 5 SPB Dep. 6:00 Included tour 9:15. 9 optional 7:15-2:00. Back on board 5:30. 6:15 'Rat Pack Revisited'. 10:00 'Les Artistes de Paris"

Day 6 Tallinn Arr 8:00 Dep 9:00. 5 groups, included tour, 9:15-2:00. 7 optional, 8:30-2:00. The day we docked here, 4 other ships in port, old town was crazy early on. After the tour we did HOHO and by the time we arrived back to Old Town it was very pleasant. Just FYI. Free shuttle bus but it is walkable. Back on board 8:30. 9:15 'Long and Winding Road--Beatles'

Day 7 Sea Day. 9:15 Paul Fredericks

Day 8 Gdansk Arr 6:00 Dep. 1:00 4 included groups 6:45-8:00. 3 optional, 6:45-7:00. Free Shuttle Bus. Necessity. Back on board 12:30. 9:15 "Les...Paris" #2

Day 9. Berlin Arr 7:30 Dep 8:30 3 Berlin included 8:00. 2 Rostock included, 9 & 1:45. 8 optional 8:00-2:00. No mention of shuttle bus from ship for local transport. Berlin on you own--find out where you arrive and depart from on Berlin from the bus and the train. If you know what you want to see, map it out before you go. I didn't and was somewhat frustrated. Wanted to go somewhere but couldn't find it so didn't make it. as we arrived at our departure station it was about 2 blocks away. If I was knowledgeable, could have just met the group at the departure station. Just FYI. Back on board 8:30. 9:15 Paul Fredericks.

Day 10 Copenhagen Arr 7:30 Dep. 10:00 4 groups included 9:00-1:00. 7 Optional 8:15 to 7:15. Back on board 9:30. Free shuttle or local # 26 bus. 'Rat Pack'#2 9:15 'Song and Dance'.

Day 11 Aalborg Arr 8:00 Dep. 1:30. 4 included 8:15 to 10:00, 3 optional 8:30 to 9:15. You dock right there so no shuttle. Back on board 1:00. 6:30 'Les...Paris' #3. 10:00 'Rat Pack #3.

Day 12 Stavanger Arr. 10:00 Dep. 6:00. 4 included groups 10:15 to 2:30. 4 optional 10:15 to 2:30. (Personal note: Stavanger has little to offer for tourist. Take the cruise to Pulpit--ship or local(2 trips when we were there and the 2nd get back in time). You can do the included and the cruise if things line up right at booking(easily if both from the ship and it seemed to be available). On our cruise, fjord travel the next day was done early or late in the day and also at mealtime so very little was seen. This cruise will be in daylight with out distractions. No shuttle, you dock right there. Back on board 5:30. 9:15 'La Peregrina'.

Day 13 Flam (There has been a port change in your trip) Anyway, Sunrise 7:02, Arrival 9:00 departure 6:00, Sunset 7:49. (Reference previous day) 6 groups included.9:00 to 2:30. 6 optional 8:55 to 2:00. Back on board 5:30. 5:15 'Captains Farewell Reception. 6:30 & 9:15 'Music of ABBA'.

Day 14 Bergen Arr 7:00 Overnight 5 groups included 9:00 to 2:00 7 optional 7:30 to 2:15. 4:30-6:30 VAT Global Blue Refunds. 6:30 'Sounds of Norway'

Day 15 Bergen Disembark by 10:00

I think there should be some info here for you. There are a couple of eating specialties along the way and some spirit tastings too(I think those{Spirits} might have a charge though).

Hope it helps. Let me know.