1st time on Escape, ist time NOT in Haven HELP!

Annmeat

Hello:

My husband and I quite enjoyed out anniversary trip on Getaway last month. As usual we were in a suite. As I wrote my review, it occurred to me that the Haven had nothing really to do with our enjoyment. While the aft suite was the BOMB!, we AGAIN used the Haven very little as the most obnoxious critters on earth seemed glued to it.

With the 50 dollar deposit sale as a hook and prepaid grats, I was intrigued We can take our family of 5 in connecting, large balconies for less than we spent for our aft suite. Its a summer cruise, of course, so I know about the crowds. We have 4 stops and even if the Haven had a decent price, there is so little time spent on the ship.

Has anyone gone from Haven to non and been happy? I am clausterphobic-ish, so need at least a large balcony. But Im not dropping 13K for a Haven suite when most of our time will be off ship or passed out.

We are platinum and afforded the "benefits" of that status, early debarkation and help in booking meals may be a plus.

This policy NCL has of keeping the suite prices out of reach but allowing upsells at a ridiculous price has finally stuck in my craw.It is a stupid policy.

I dont feel that people who usually sail in balconies are going to suddenly start booking Haven suites for 3 times the cost. I don't care about special seats in the theater, dont care about a cabana in Harvest Cay. I will miss the big bathroom, but so what?

The cabins are on deck 9 and have a 72 sq foot foot balcony as opposed to the 52 sq foot in the H4

Any of you summer, Escape sailing folks. have any advice? Final is not until late April and I m not even sure if my kids can get away then. But the cheap deposit was cool.

Any comments, hints, lashings at my snotty behaviour and poor typing are welcomed.

I think that we will have a blast.

Thanks

AnnM

Have been in the Haven on the BA and mini-suites on BA and Escape. Was lucky to score Vibe passes for non-Haven trips which helped with crowd control, but I am happy both inside and outside of the Haven. I travel with my DM, who is thankfully quite mobile in her late 80's, but for her the Haven makes her life much easier.

I agree with your logic regarding the number of ports, why pay for a perk that you are not going to utilize. We felt that way in Europe as it was so port intensive. We also don't allow ourselves to say, if I were in the Haven (or for that matter - if we were sailing, [insert other cruise line] then...) whenever an annoyance might occur.

Priority embarkation/disembarkation are definitely a plus. That for us is a prime benefit and what I would miss the most if I didn't have it, a distant second is the full 2nd bath and shower in the H4. Perhaps we are not a good compare example as we asked nothing extra of our butler - no in-cabin meals, no special snacks. We really don't care where we sit in the shows, didn't cut the line in comedy shows or ask anything of the Concierge.

I think a lot depends on what you enjoy doing on a cruise. As a platinum, you know that making your reservations online as soon as they open makes life so much easier and as a platinum you have Concierge assistance, if needed.

We are not morning people and don't eat breakfast so we made our own coffee in the Haven and in the mini - so the provided coffee maker resulted in regular coffee and not expresso - it was still coffee. Basic continental breakfast was available without cost, if you desired, and during our Escape sailing included yogurt. We tend to eat lunch in the MDR so we didn't have crowd issues in the buffet and even when in the Haven, if we decided to have lunch in the buffet - we always found a table. DM likes the variety in the buffet.

Chair hogs - if you want to be near the pool, that is a problem, especially on sea days but we've met chair hogs in the Haven and in Vibe, both of which I find comical as both areas have more than enough seating. Vibe is a definite plus and that for me is the bigger satisfier than the Haven. No, I do not get Vibe passes if we are in the Haven -- I only do the Vibe dash when we are in a mini. With the exception of early to mid June BA sailings, we tend to sail outside of school holidays and being docked in Bermuda for 3 days and having had Vibe passes twice, makes it difficult to judge what a peak summer crowd might bring.

Having your family with you and being on a fabulous ship - those are the ingredients for a great cruise regardless of cabin. Hope your kids can get away and that you all have a fabulous cruise.

We have sailed on the Escape in the havens and in a minisuite. We find that 90% of what we did on the Escape had nothing to do with the Havens. The new restaurants and activities. We had a spa pass on both cruises and spent more time in the spa than the Havens courtyard.

We have partaked in the haven once this past April and I can tell you that my husband totally enjoyed it and stated he did not want to travel any other way. Why because there is no crowds. Myself I love the crowds the mingling the everything that is what cruising is all about. But to him he comes because I ask. So when I surprised him with the haven he said wait so I don't have to leave this section at all. I said not at all. He said well go have fun this is where you will find me. So it's the best of both worlds. We have not reached top tier status so we love the early em/debarkation love the priority tender status etc... However I am also one that has not yet paid the full price of a haven my last cruise was an upsell. This cruise that I will be going on November 6 is an upsell. So would I pay that astronomical price in the beginning for a haven cabin. Noway. I will continue to book a balcony cabin or a mini suite and hope for the best. If I can score then cool beans if not then I will try for the vibe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We have never traveled in a suite/Haven. We had an angled balcony on the Escape this past summer and really liked it. Check the map to find something that could work for you. I think we were in 12854. Our 3rd person, a teen used the drop down bed which allowed us to retain the sofa 100% of the time. This made the cabin more user friendly and actually neater than when he used it for a bed on the Getaway last summer. The bathroom while smaller than the suite was quite adequate for storage, features and space for one person at a time.

I hope you're able to enjoy the Balcony cabin, it is our treat cabin.

Edited by Nola26

We have been in the Haven once on the Getaway. Loved our H-9 Spa balcony. Have also sailed in balconies and a mini-suite on her. We just got back from our 2nd cruise on the Escape. First cruise was in an angled balcony (extra room) and this last one in an Aft-facing large balcony.

We have no strong desire to go back to the Haven unless it's an unbelievable deal. While we loved the Haven restaurant and private deck, we can usually find a quiet place on a regular deck to enjoy. We didn't need the butler and just used the concierge to change a reservation.

Really loved our Aft facing large balcony (not suite) on this last cruise and spent a lot of time out there. As soon as we got home we called and booked the Escape again in a Large balcony on deck 9. Although it won't have the Aft view of our last cabin, I like that it's close to decks 6/7/8 so we can pick up a frosty drink to enjoy on our balcony:cool:

We would rather continue to cruise 4 times a year than cruise less in a Haven cabin. I was a little concerned by all those who said once you cruise in a Haven suite it's hard to go back to regular ones....but it's just fine with us. Hope you & your family have a wonderful time!

This policy NCL has of keeping the suite prices out of reach but allowing upsells at a ridiculous price has finally stuck in my craw.It is a stupid policy.

I dont feel that people who usually sail in balconies are going to suddenly start booking Haven suites for 3 times the cost. I don't care about special seats in the theater, dont care about a cabana in Harvest Cay. I will miss the big bathroom, but so what?

I agree. The Haven is a fantastic product for 2.5-3.5k per head. It is simply not worth it at current pricing levels at 4k-9k per head.

Hello:

My husband and I quite enjoyed out anniversary trip on Getaway last month. As usual we were in a suite. As I wrote my review, it occurred to me that the Haven had nothing really to do with our enjoyment. While the aft suite was the BOMB!, we AGAIN used the Haven very little as the most obnoxious critters on earth seemed glued to it.

From what I've observed here, you're definitely rolling the dice on whether you will be able to enjoy the Haven courtyard (or whether it will be someone else's private playpen), so I guess it's a matter of how much the lack of access to it bothered you.

I agree. The Haven is a fantastic product for 2.5-3.5k per head. It is simply not worth it at current pricing levels at 4k-9k per head.

Even with the crazy increases over the past year(s), the Haven can still be done for under $2K per person (family of 4) total. Prices tend to be the best when bookings are released then climb over time. The trick is to be ready to pull the trigger when new dates are released. People waiting for Spring/Summer 2018 on Escape (if it is still in Miami) will get better prices than those currently booking for Spring/Summer 2017.

Some people taking up-sells aren't getting the huge savings that they are seeing. For example, I priced a Haven at a current price and compared to what it was months ago and the exact same sailing/category is over $1000 more total. If someone takes an up-sell and "saves" $1000 over the current price, it is exactly the same price as someone who booked months ago.

Plus, people who are particular about which stateroom they want, don't have to risk getting a less desirable stateroom if they book early.

Even though I won't be able to actually compare until 2018, MSC's Yacht Club easily beats NCL's Haven on price but with similar perks. The staterooms are smaller but I'm really looking forward to Seaside.

NCL has to do something or they may continue to lose Haven guests.

From what I've observed here, you're definitely rolling the dice on whether you will be able to enjoy the Haven courtyard (or whether it will be someone else's private playpen), so I guess it's a matter of how much the lack of access to it bothered you.

Excellent point. From our one Haven cruise, we spent a lot of time on the upper Haven deck as we could never get a space on the lower deck. Our H9 spa cabin was not in the Haven area so we suspect that some of those (and their many kids ;)) who have a cabin in the Haven area always got first dibs on those loungers. We enjoyed the upper deck, but it would have been nice to try the lower courtyard on just one day at least.

Back to the regular cabins....and hopefully some with large balconies...for us:D

The kids don't care about the Haven and they are more excited about he ports.

I had a little sticker shock - thought is boook a cabana on Belize. The 499.00 was we person. So was the 299.00. Think it was an error.

Um- no.

We'll see what folks have to say about Harvest Cay and maybe just hang out and do nothing .

Thanks for your helpful advices. Kids are excited about a different ship , it's cheaper than RCL, and the deposit was peanuts .

We had not even thought of taking another NCL cruise as the Haven is so obnoxiously priced - then realized we didn't need it. Hubby doesn't do sun bathing, kids will do the slides but hate Haven pools, and the price so far is terrific.

Have a great weekend

Ann

Edited by Annmeat

The kids don't care about the Haven and they are more excited about he ports.

I had a little sticker shock - thought is boook a cabana on Belize. The 499.00 was we person. So was the 299.00. Think it was an error.

Um- no.

We'll see what folks have to say about Harvest Cay and maybe just hang out and do nothing .

Thanks for your helpful advices. Kids are excited about a different ship , it's cheaper than RCL, and the deposit was peanuts .

We had not even thought of taking another NCL cruise as the Haven is so obnoxiously priced - then realized we didn't need it. Hubby doesn't do sun bathing, kids will do the slides but hate Haven pools, and the price so far is terrific.

Have a great weekend

Ann

Just now when I looked at cabanas again, it did allow me to book for only one person. Not doing it, but when I tried to the first time ( as Belize day is my birthday) the website wouldnt let me. Gotta wait and read some reviews first...

Even with the crazy increases over the past year(s), the Haven can still be done for under $2K per person (family of 4) total. Prices tend to be the best when bookings are released then climb over time. The trick is to be ready to pull the trigger when new dates are released. People waiting for Spring/Summer 2018 on Escape (if it is still in Miami) will get better prices than those currently booking for Spring/Summer 2017.

Some people taking up-sells aren't getting the huge savings that they are seeing. For example, I priced a Haven at a current price and compared to what it was months ago and the exact same sailing/category is over $1000 more total. If someone takes an up-sell and "saves" $1000 over the current price, it is exactly the same price as someone who booked months ago.

Plus, people who are particular about which stateroom they want, don't have to risk getting a less desirable stateroom if they book early.

Even though I won't be able to actually compare until 2018, MSC's Yacht Club easily beats NCL's Haven on price but with similar perks. The staterooms are smaller but I'm really looking forward to Seaside.

NCL has to do something or they may continue to lose Haven guests.

Well, they lost this family! The price for the suites we priced- DOS, H4, 2H5s- are the same as when the price for the cruise was released. The went up about 18% for a few months, but dropped a week or so ago- if one can consider 14.5 K for an H4 with a teensy balcony a "drop". For less than half that for 2 connecting large balconies is a no brainer for us. If we were cruising without kids we would have gone not in summer and on a different line.

with 4 shore days in a row, the room seems like an after thought at this point. Hubbie and I were more casual and slow, but these teens are gonna want to GO!!!

And we get our Platinum laundry bonus still! And that meal in wherever they will give it next summer...