Do you book your cruise on your own, with a PVP or with a travel agent? Why?

3redheads

How do you book your cruise?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. How do you book your cruise?

• On my own-through cruise line website
    • PVP
    • Travel agent/website
    • Other

on my own thru carnival, i never had a pvp assigned to me

i used a few travel agents and it was a headache/hassle for me. if there is any issues with your booking,the travel agent need to contact carnival instead of you

We always book directly through the cruiseline, so we have complete control of our booking, with Carnival.

This year, we took our first RCCL cruise, on Oasis. A co-worker recommended his TA, so we booked through her. We got $100OBC, free dinner for 2 at any specialty restaurant, and a 50% discount for any spa service.

I can see both sides of the coin, but we prefer booking it on our own.:D

I just tried a TA for the first time. She saved us $50 on our total booking. I am not sure it is worth giving up the control next time. Carnival's prices are low and the TA may not be the best benefit. It might be different for another cruise line

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I book in a few different ways but I always transfer my bookings to an on-line travel agent. In return I get 8-10% of the cruise cost back in obc. Never can understand the reasons not to do this and I've heard them all

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I book in a few different ways but I always transfer my bookings to an on-line travel agent. In return I get 8-10% of the cruise cost back in obc. Never can understand the reasons not to do this and I've heard them all

F

Once transferred, do all changes have to be done by the travel agent? Do you have any suggestions for any online agents?

Once transferred, do all changes have to be done by the travel agent? Do you have any suggestions for any online agents?

Once to have your booking with a TA, Carnival won't even discuss your reservation with you. All servicing must be done through them. We are not allowed to give recommendations on here.

That is why I book directly thorough the cruise line and use a PVP. I almost lost out on about $400 once because the TA was closed and I noticed a price drop. Didn't have ES and it was the night before final payment was due. Carnival made it right in the end and they absolutely didn't have to. The TA was awful (it's one that sponsors CC too) and I vowed never again.

I love my PVP. I can call him 24/7 and any price drops/issues I have are taken care of immediately. I don't need to talk to any CSRs which may or may not know what they are doing and potentially mess things up. If you haven't had any problems with your bookings, then great. But if one ever pops up it's nice to know you can count on one person who knows you and can get it taken care of without having to spend a bunch of wasted time being transferred and having to tell your story over and over again each time to someone higher up in the chain. It doesn't cost you anything and can save you hours of frustration.

I like to compare it to going to the Dr. Sure anyone in the practice can help you (like a CSR can), but it's nice to have YOUR Dr (PVP) that knows you and you are comfortable with. After building a relationship with them, it just makes things easier and more pleasant.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I voted "on my own" because I do all the research and find the rooms I want. But generally, we cruise with our boys, now 18 and 12, so I have to call to book them in their room across the hall - I have been told repeatedly that because they are minors, for CCL purposes, it cannot be done on line.

I use the same travel agent I've had for 20 some years. She books but I actually do most of the work, checking for itineraries and rooms. I tell her what cabin I want and she books it but I know it's already available. She also knows I check various prices and she had to beat them if only by a dollar.

Most do. You can still book dining, excursions, etc. Some are concerned with losing control of their reservation but it is not a problem at all. I've done it this way 20 times - never an issue

i actually do all the research and of what exactly i want before i go on a cruise and then go to the future cruise desk and book it standing in front of them. This way i get the additional OBC for booking on board. Then I deal with Stock Holder Credit and price drops myself. Also i get a friends and family offer to give others so they can also get the OBC for booking.

We can do everything a PVP or a travel agent can do....and better!! The only times we have used a TA was when the 'perks' + pricing (which is now a set price) gave us a better deal. Have had multiple PVP's and all ended up being less knowledgable and unhelpful....after grabbing the booking....nada!! Not one perk for booking with any of the PVP's we tried....so we do it ourselves, pick our cabin call in for availability and book....typically far out in time! Just send in our own 'price reduction' forms....get price adjustments immediately and don't need to go thru or depend on a TA for anything! This has worked out well for us! :D

Once to have your booking with a TA, Carnival won't even discuss your reservation with you. All servicing must be done through them. We are not allowed to give recommendations on here.

That is why I book directly thorough the cruise line and use a PVP. I almost lost out on about $400 once because the TA was closed and I noticed a price drop. Didn't have ES and it was the night before final payment was due. Carnival made it right in the end and they absolutely didn't have to. The TA was awful (it's one that sponsors CC too) and I vowed never again.

I love my PVP. I can call him 24/7 and any price drops/issues I have are taken care of immediately. I don't need to talk to any CSRs which may or may not know what they are doing and potentially mess things up. If you haven't had any problems with your bookings, then great. But if one ever pops up it's nice to know you can count on one person who knows you and can get it taken care of without having to spend a bunch of wasted time being transferred and having to tell your story over and over again each time to someone higher up in the chain. It doesn't cost you anything and can save you hours of frustration.

I like to compare it to going to the Dr. Sure anyone in the practice can help you (like a CSR can), but it's nice to have YOUR Dr (PVP) that knows you and you are comfortable with. After building a relationship with them, it just makes things easier and more pleasant.

My TA has an online form to fill out and submit if it's off hours. No problem.

I use a TA for the perks, paid travel insurance and some OBC.

I find they can usually get me a better rate too, on other lines.

Edited by WetToes

My TA has an online form to fill out and submit if it's off hours. No problem.

I use a TA for the perks, paid travel insurance and some OBC.

I find they can usually get me a better rate too, on other lines.

Not the one I used. And it had to be submitted to Carnival by midnight in that particular case. Doesn't matter if there would have been a form at that point anyway.

I have done it all different ways and the easiest for me is a PVP. The "perks" that TA offered were totally not worth all the headache I had to endure. I also had a bad experience with another TA I used for Celebrity. I prefer total control over my booking and being able to get things taken care of right away. I don't like the middleman. If others are fine with it, great. Not me.

Oh, and I have gotten upsell calls from Carnival because I book direct from them. You won't get those as often if you use a TA because they cannot discuss your booking with you. They will need to contact your TA which in turn will need to contact you and then the circle reverses itself. Is it possible you could still get an offer with a TA? Sure, especially if they need your particular cabin, but it is less likely than if you book direct. They are on a time crunch to fill those cabins and the quickest way is to contact guests directly to get a yes or no answer and move on down the list.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I used to book my own online and then my MIL became a TA as a hobby and since then I've booked thru her. I do all of the research myself since I have to look for cabins in the areas I like and also have to come here for weeks reading reviews on the ships and destinations and then I send her the cabin info and she books it ;) I get what I want and she gets commission :D

I watch for price drops and text her and she takes care of the rest. Of course I will miss the upsell fairy but I'm ok with that :p

I can't cast a vote since there is no both. When an online cruise company can offer us twice the cruise credit, 2 Steakhouse dinner, one for each leg, and a generous spa discount, we use them. On my upcoming Magic, the online cruise companies had no special offers, so we booked through CCL

How do you find an outstanding PVP? I don't want one calling me when I check the website. Can't stand that.

Thanks for the responses. This has certainly given me insight into the other ways of booking as well as the pros and cons.