Is it true?

JoAnneNYI

I'm going on Princess in December. You don't have to pay until your on board.

Apparently in Alaska you now do on Princess. They did an experiment last year with the Grand. From the Princess board, it sounds like all of Alaska is this way now.

I am disappointed in this but most lines have been doing this for awhile.

Apparently in Alaska you now do on Princess. They did an experiment last year with the Grand. From the Princess board, it sounds like all of Alaska is this way now.

I am disappointed in this but most lines have been doing this for awhile.

Personally I like when people have to put their money where their mouth is :) Having a little skin in the game is a good thing imho. I know people who book stuff, with a 90% certainty they are going to cancel. That means that the people who REALLY want a particular tour end up booking their 2nd or 3rd choice. Yes, the booked-but-unwanted seats will open up eventually but that may be too late for some people.

Personally I like when people have to put their money where their mouth is :) Having a little skin in the game is a good thing imho. I know people who book stuff, with a 90% certainty they are going to cancel. That means that the people who REALLY want a particular tour end up booking their 2nd or 3rd choice. Yes, the booked-but-unwanted seats will open up eventually but that may be too late for some people.

I don't like it because when you get hundreds of dollars of OBC due to a variety of reasons (stock, loyalty, travel agent group space, Princess promos) - I want to use this on tours and I can't unless I book on the ship. The amount of OBC on cruises right now is quite a bit (at least on Princess) and I don't drink or shop much, so shore excursions is where it needs to go.

Yes, with Holland America you pay for the excursion at the time of booking. Discussed on the HAL board regularly.

While this was awhile ago, I booked a tour on HAL and paid up front. Then, on the ship it was cancelled and given back to my on my folio. I felt like I had to spend it or lose it. I don't know - maybe it would have eventually made it back to my credit card but this was annoying. Maybe HAL changed their policy on this.

While this was awhile ago, I booked a tour on HAL and paid up front. Then, on the ship it was cancelled and given back to my on my folio. I felt like I had to spend it or lose it. I don't know - maybe it would have eventually made it back to my credit card but this was annoying. Maybe HAL changed their policy on this.

Yes on HAL cancelled shore excursions get refunded back to your credit card, if you don't use the credit while on board.

As for using OBC, you are correct. But no answer will fit 100% of the people 100% of the time. For me, I'd rather have people committed to what they have booked, not blocking space that they may not use. Two sides to the coin :)

Edited by VennDiagram

On HAL, refunded shore excursion monies are not use it or lose it. Never has been, at least in the 20 years we have been cruising on HAL. Only HAL created monies in your folio, like stockholders OBC, are use it or lose it, and those are drawn down first.

Let me add my current 2 cents: I usually apply OBC to gratuities, but thought as our current booking includes gratuities, I'd apply OBC to a shore excursion (certainly don't want it to be immediately applied to a credit card and then not used). Just called Princess and had a discussion. Was told that when I want to reserve a shore excursion that would be paid (or mostly paid) with OBC, I should call directly to make this arrangement with Princess. (We will have prepaid gratuities and $350 OBC.) Hope this helps any confused reader (OK, or maybe further confuses the reader!).

DJ:)

I just read, second hand, that all Alaska ahore excursions now have to be prepaid starting today Nov.1.

So much for using OBC!

Yes. I just booked the Tracy Arm Small Boat Excursion for July on Princess, and I had to prepay.

If you have a special circumstance like OBCs that you want to use on shore excursions, then you should contact the cruise line directly & let them know. (They are the only ones who can "override" a prepay requirement - not anyone on Cruise Critic.)

I've always prepaid my excursions, so the question seemed odd to me.

Have been fortunate in being veteran and stockholder (Carnival, Royal Caribbean) and have for years put this money towards gratuities. This year picked up free gratuities on a July Whittier/Vancouver. What to do? Figured at least one "shore excursion" where these OBCs would cover most or all expense. I called Princess and was told when we have picked excursion paid with OBC, to call back and make special arrangement for reservation with OBC payment. Hope everyone who reads this note takes advantage when its possible? My very best,

Have been fortunate in being veteran and stockholder (Carnival, Royal Caribbean) and have for years put this money towards gratuities. This year picked up free gratuities on a July Whittier/Vancouver. What to do? Figured at least one "shore excursion" where these OBCs would cover most or all expense. I called Princess and was told when we have picked excursion paid with OBC, to call back and make special arrangement for reservation with OBC payment. Hope everyone who reads this note takes advantage when its possible? My very best,

Took your advise and spoke with Shelly at Princess yesterday. I was told I could not use OBC for excursions I want to book now. I can only use the OBC once we are on the ship for any left over excursions. I booked an excursion yesterday with Princess only because they use the same company that I called privately and they were at the same price point. Maybe I should try calling and getting another rep?

I am hoping that I can pay down on my cruise balance with the HUGH amount of points I have racked up on my Princess Visa card. Will face that battle Monday.

If you have a special circumstance like OBCs that you want to use on shore excursions, then you should contact the cruise line directly & let them know. (They are the only ones who can "override" a prepay requirement - not anyone on Cruise Critic.)

I've always prepaid my excursions, so the question seemed odd to me.

Tried yesterday. Told no such thing as an "override" per Princess rep.

What can I say? When is a promotion not a promotion? We are most interested on the large-boat experience out of Ketchikan, so in the next week will try and then otherwise will wait til we get on the boat. This reeks of possible dishonesty. I know, they want to fill specialty restaurants and have you grow a bar tab. Will report back if I have any different experience.

DJ:(

• 2 months later...

Greetings! Hope that many of you are still "listening" to this thread.

In tying up a couple of loose ends for our July vacation, a lovely lady at Princess told me that on board port excursions will no longer be automatically charged to your credit card, period. For example, our Anchorage/Vancouver cruise has prepaid gratuities, as well as $150 OBC. I also pickup $100 for military service and $100 for stockholder. We are not drinkers nor look forward to a specialty restaurant, so our only alternative is to have a serious look at watches? No, not necessary! Just booked a really expensive boat tour out of Ketchikan that will cost just $50 instead of $400 (thank you Princess). Anybody in a similar situation can adjust your finances (I hope). Specifically, OBCs are the first to be "spent" with any captured expense, others then go on your credit card (on file).

Really hope that I have been clear enough and that this information helps.

I was pretty miffed when I found out that you had to pay for your excursions when you booked them online. I’m like you we have a lot of OBC, don’t drink, don’t buy the pictures and little trinkets they sell of the ship. I canceled our Tracy Arm ship boat excursion when I found out that Princess had changed their mind on having to prepay for your excursions. This afternoon I rebooked the Tracy Arm small boat excursion so I can now use my OBC for that excursion, total cost of that excursion $0.00. and I still have a little left over.