Regal cruise - Coconut Cove?

passy

I am travelling on Regal with my dad in a couple of weeks and one of our ports of call is Amber Cover. Having looked at the website I don't much like the look of it, seems to be a soulless man-made place full of kids!

The only excursion which appeals is Coconut Cove but I've not seen any very positive reviews of the place.

I'm now wondering if we might spend a short time looking round Amber Cove then go back and spend the day on the ship - but this seems a shame on a 7 day cruise where we only have 3 port days!

any ideas or advice welcome.

We don't really do tours as a rule, we prefer to just wander around a town, do a bit of shopping and have a drink looking at the ocean...

many thanks!

Basically it is Carnival Corp. man made port area with a pool and shopping area. Princess most likely sells lots of water and land based tours. There is no town to walk around in, and I don't believe it is a good idea to leave the area on your own.

Since the ship docks you can walk off, look around. If you like what you see stay a while. If not head back to the ship, where you will find lots of other passengers and an enjoyable day on board.

Regarding youth you probably will not find many on board for cruises sailing November 13th and 27th. Most youth are in school during these weeks.

Regarding your question on weather , expect hot and humid. In tropical climates it does rain, but it impossible to predict this far in advance for how long and how much. On some islands it rains some almost every day. Bring lots and lots of sun screen. The sun is very strong in the Caribbean and you can get a serious burn very fast.

Edited by sknight

Since the ship docks it would be easy to walk around and see what is available but having a quiet day to explore on the ship would be great too.

Look at the Amber Cove port link here on CC. Haven't been yet (Feb 2017) but we signed up for a tour with a local company that many people recommended since we are not folks to just sit at the pool. Its 5 hours and will give us an overview of this area of the DR.