Last minute cancellation

We are leaving on the Allure on Sunday. There is a change that my husband will have to stay home. If this happens, am I better to just show up without him, or try to cancel his portion? Not sure if he cancels, if my price will go up at the last minute. Thanks for your help!

We are leaving on the Allure on Sunday. There is a change that my husband will have to stay home. If this happens, am I better to just show up without him, or try to cancel his portion? Not sure if he cancels, if my price will go up at the last minute. Thanks for your help!

Not sure which is better, but if he cancels, you will still have to pay for him. Could you bring someone else with you? Not sure how late you can switch out passengers. Someone else will know.

At this point, I'd just have him be a no show. You will get a refund for his taxes and any other purchases for him, such as excursions.

As mentioned above, you can substitute someone else up to 24-hours in advance.

If you cancel his name or he is a no show at the pier, your price won't go up. Since you are this close to sailing, you won't get a refund for anything but the taxes & fees (and gratuities if you prepaid, and any cruise planner items that were paid for).

If the insurance was through Royal, depending on why he can't go, you'll either get a 75% future cruise certificate for his portion of the cruise fare or a refund from the insurance company.

Yes, we do have cruise insurance, but not sure of coverage.

Read up on the coverage. If you bought the cruise lines insurance, the policy information is on their website and also in your cruise documents. If it is a covered reason your husband can't sail, you will get your money back except for the cost of his insurance. If it is for a non-covered reason, you will get taxes and fees back and also a future cruise credit for 75% of his cruise fare under the cancel for any reason portion of the insurance.

If you purchased third party insurance, you need to contact them.

Edit: Very important that he not just no show if you want to use your insurance. You must contact them prior to sailing.

Edited by reallyitsmema

Yes, we bought the insurance thru Royal. We have friends going, so I don't want to stay home and will plan on going. We live in Florida, so since we are driving, his decision will probably be made on Sunday morning....

Thanks for all the help.

I think the single supplement fee is a wash w/ him not attending. Doesn't Royal Caribbean have a cancel for any reason? It's probably a premium plan.

I think Travel Guard Gold has a cancel for work reason coverage. Something to consider next time.

I had to cancel 4 days prior once, and managed to get everything back. Unfortunately, these days, the medical insurance companies are slow w/ the claims. I've been waiting for two months to get our primary medical EOB so I can file a claim. I don't remember it being so slow back in 1996.

So if I let Royal know ahead of time that he is not going, will my portion of the cruise cost go up. That's where I'm not sure what to do.

I don't believe your price will go up, but you can never be sure with Royal. I cannot think of an advantage of telling them ahead of time at this point.

It would fall under "cancel for any reason". Looks like it would be the 75% cruise credit. To get this, will I be charged the single rate. If so, not sure it's worth letting them know. What happens if I show up and haven't cancelled his reservation until check-in.

It would fall under "cancel for any reason". Looks like it would be the 75% cruise credit. To get this, will I be charged the single rate. If so, not sure it's worth letting them know. What happens if I show up and haven't cancelled his reservation until check-in.

Yes...what happens if once at the terminal you have the RCI cruise insurance and you cancel them then...don't want to take the chance of canceling them before that and possibly loose my prime cabin that will hold 3...as then they'll only be 2 traveling in that cabin.? We have a total of 4 cabins right next to each other...so don't want to risk it. Will we just get back port fees/taxes....or any % towards a future cruise...The cancellation (2 no shows) are due to pregnancy, worried about Zika and a 2nd no show will be due to having a new baby under 6 months of age. We booked this cruise in June 2015 and at that time there were no pregnancies planned ;):)

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will wait until we get to the ship and let them know if my husband doesn't come. That way he will have until the last minute to try to make it.

Have you called the cruise line to verify that you can do that and still be covered by the insurance? Or have you called the insurance company themselves? I would not rely on just the answers here to guarantee that you will be covered. When we cancelled, using the cruise line insurance, I was told we needed to cancel prior to the ship sailing. I had to call the cruise line and then the insurance company.

Better to know exactly from the ones that know the facts, than rely on a message board.

we had to cancel at two weeks out for our kids and grandkids. it was for "any reason". we were at 16 days out so i got 25% cash back from Royal and all fees and taxes. i had their credit on my card in five days.

i am now filing the claim with Royal insurance and was told i will get 75% back in future credit to use in 12 months.

granted everybody was a no show so not sure how it works if one still goes.

but i would check on when you can cancel as there might be a deadline.

I would call the insurance and ask "what if". They will tell you for sure how to go about things. Hate to show up, tell Royal he isn't coming then the insurance says oh well. Our daughters cabin mate had to cancel for a covered medical reason. She was reimbursed he portion and our daughter didn't have to pay anything additional and sailed alone. Better safe then sorry.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Having just gone through this in September, I would recommend just showing up with out him.

You'll check in like normal. Don't bother making an excuse at check in as they don't really have any way to deal with it.

I went straight to the Guest Relations desk before I went to my room when I got on board and actually - kinda the same thing. They told me they would know when that person wasn't on board when they set sail. Ok then.

The refund for taxes and such finally came on the credit card.

If you're within a certain amount of days there's no point as the refund is minimal and you'll have to pay that fare anyway.

Having just gone through this in September, I would recommend just showing up with out him.

You'll check in like normal. Don't bother making an excuse at check in as they don't really have any way to deal with it.

I went straight to the Guest Relations desk before I went to my room when I got on board and actually - kinda the same thing. They told me they would know when that person wasn't on board when they set sail. Ok then.

The refund for taxes and such finally came on the credit card.

If you're within a certain amount of days there's no point as the refund is minimal and you'll have to pay that fare anyway.

The OP has insurance, they will get a 75% future cruise credit.

Did the no show person you were sailing with have insurance?

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will wait until we get to the ship and let them know if my husband doesn't come. That way he will have until the last minute to try to make it.

I'm available if you need a stand in! :o)

I would agree with your plan.

Laurie

it's not something i ever dealt with exactly. but when we just checked in on sunday there were signs all over stating everybody on the sea pass had to check in at the same time.

Yes all persons listed on the same sea pass must check in at the same time. You can get around that by checking in separately on line and printing a sea pass for each person.