First time cruiser needing help please!

So my husband and I are ready for our first cruise and I think I have decided (although it is a bit early in research still) on RCI the Sovereign of the Seas to the Bahamas some time in late January or early February 2006. Does anybody have any experience they would like to share about this particular cruise?

Also, how should I go about booking this cruise if this is the one we choose? Do I do it myself, or go through a TA? And if I should go through a TA, how do I find one? The phone book? I also have AAA, should I go through their TA's?

What type of room should I book and on what floor?

I know absolutely nothing about cruises so any help and/or advice would be so greatly appreciated. I've been reading some posts here but it is all so overwhelming!!

Thanks so much in advance, Tracie

Bluesky,

while I´m doing all the research for my cruises myself and use an online agent with not much service I would say you should look for a good TA.

As it´s your very first cruise you should have some expert to give you advice and guide you. And in general TA´s are not allowed to discount RCCL cruises anymore so there shouldn´t be too many price differences anymore and I bet you would need someone to speek to and work something out with.

The other tip I have read a lot here but take it with a grain of salt. There are many good things to learn from here but don´t take ever post too serious or for the truth.

Tracie;

You will get a TON of advice on these boards and the advice will steer you both ways on every subject,,,, sooooo first advice:

"Remember that free advice is usually worth what you pay for it.";)

Now, that being said, the first thing is about TA and discount prices. What others said isn't neccessarily true. I have a list of about 15 web sites in my "Favorites" specifically for cruising. (expedia, cruiseone, bestpricecuises, travelocity, etc.). Once I have decided on itenerary and aproximately when (maybe even what ship), I check all these sites and compare price. They sometimes are different, and some will guarantee lowest price and some won't. (that means if rates lower after you book, they will credit the difference). When I booked our April 06 cruise, I found a "Group Booking" that saved us about $700 off everyone elses price. So it pay to check.

As for what cruise is best for you, there are too many variables that can make that decision change.

Know that the Sovereign is an older ship that has just undergone updates. Check out the history and numbers. WE prefer the Radiance Class ships because of their space/passenger ratio and they are the most beautifiul ships on the ocean.

Are you wanting a short, less expensive cruise? WE think 3 or 4 days is way too short and will only book 7 or more days. Others prefer the short ones.

Take all these into account to make your decision....... do so knowing that whatever you decide,

a cruise is the best vacation in the world.:D

I hope that I can help a little. We are in our 30's and we like to have fun and relax on a cruise so we want some excitement but not too much.We have been on 3 cruises so far. 7-night on Norwegian, 3-night on Carnival, and 4-night on Royal Caribbean. Our 7 day was our 1st and we had a ton of fun. Our 2nd cruise (3night)was a cruise with 100 people from work (not fun). Our 3rd cruise was on The Sovereign before it was redone. We enjoyed our 4 night a lot. We decided that a short cruise was in ouder but 3-nights wasn't long enough, so we booked a 4 night. We liked that the 4 night went to the private island (no panhandlers) and that if stopped in the Bahamas (watch out for the panhandlers). We had room 2068, which was a oceanview, no frills but we were only in our room to sleep and change. We requested a large table, late seating and we had a table for 8. Our tablemates were THE BEST. We were the very last ones out of the dining room every night.

As for the ship we aern't picky like some others. We found that even though the ship was older it was taken care of very well. We always saw the crew cleaning. The food was great (we don't go to super fancy restaurants very often). We ate in the dining room for every meal but the lunch on embarkment day. We felt that we serve ourselves everyday so why not take some pampering and let someone wait on us.

I hope this helps a little but if you have any more questions let me know.

Lisa

A 3 or 4 day cruise is a perfect way to start cruising. The Sovereign was our 1st so she holds a special place in our hearts. The itinery is a good one to start with. You will love Coco Cay, their private island. If you are worried about motion, get a cabin low & inside (the least amount of roll). If you like cruising you can get a better cabin next time. Get all dressed up for formal night. Enjoy

A word of caution- cruising can be very addicting. It would probably be better if you took a land vacation. We got hooked by a simple 3 dayer. Now we have to have 2 cruises booked at all times. Don't go the way we did. We started with interior cabins, we were happy. Now we want corner aft balcony, we are still happy. Seven years 22 cruises later all I wear are flowered shirts. The suitcases are 1/2 full at all times. Our house is starting to look like a cruise ship. Wife' counts down the days till our next one. There are no warnings about this type of addiction anywhere. Please rethink this whole thing, Vegas would love to have you.

AAA is a fine company to book with if you're comfortable with them. However, make sure that you book with a TA that knows cruising. One of our worst mistakes was booking with a AAA agent who didn't know anything about cruising other than picking up the phone and getting a price. After telling her everything we liked about RCI's Viking Serenade but wanting to try a larger ship, she recommended Carnival. Big mistake for us as it didn't compare to what we liked in RCI. In addition, not knowing cruising, the agent nearly screwed up the cruiseline booked air.

After that incident, I started booking with an online, cruise-only agent. Now, I book on my own so that I'm in control. However, I would have never booked on my own in the beginning. Too many unknowns and unanswered questions.

A word of caution- cruising can be very addicting. It would probably be better if you took a land vacation. We got hooked by a simple 3 dayer. Now we have to have 2 cruises booked at all times. Don't go the way we did. We started with interior cabins, we were happy. Now we want corner aft balcony, we are still happy. Seven years 22 cruises later all I wear are flowered shirts. The suitcases are 1/2 full at all times. Our house is starting to look like a cruise ship. Wife' counts down the days till our next one. There are no warnings about this type of addiction anywhere. Please rethink this whole thing, Vegas would love to have you.

BlueSky, take this warning seriously. Cruising can be addictive. Cruise companies should print a warning on the cruise contract. We've been planning a trip to Disney World for two years, but everytime we decide to seriously set a date to vacation there, we end up booking a cruise instead.icon10.gif

***Standing up*** Hello, my name is Shrimp0 and I am addicted to cruising.

Seriously, we find cruising to be the best way to travel. I can not comment on 3 or 4 day cruises as all we have done are 7 day. We started with Celebrity... we were a bit young ( in our mid 20's) and we were the babies on the ship... but we got the BUG and we got it bad!!! 11 months after the first cruise, we took our second cruise. We took some time off to have a kid and then as soon as he was old enough... bam there we were again.

As far as cabin selection goes... start out small. You can always go to the next catagory on the next cruise and the next one after that. Just take what they have and enjoy it for what it is... take in all the ship has to offer. Then, each cruise after the first, you will have something new to look forward to!!! (first time forward, first time aft, first time outside view, first time balcony... get the picture??!!!)

As far as booking with a travel agent. Ask what cruise lines they are most familiar with...before you offer any information about what ship you are looking at... see what the person recommends. If they sell more of one than the other.. you will know. Also be prepared to pay in full at the time of reservation. Booking at this point for January or February is just over 90 from sailing.

Archived