Buy Insurance NOW for 2018 Cruise?

easyboy

We plan to book this week a May 2018 cruise with a deposit of $2,000 to lock the cabin we want, and with the balance paid on cruise final payment date. We plan to book flights and hotels in Dec 2017 yet so we don't know the total trip amounts.

For pre-existing medical conditions to be covered for the whole trip amounts, when is the latest that we have to get the travel insurance, and what is the trip amount that we should state? Will the flight and hotel expenses be covered by the pre-existing medical condition even if it is paid in 2017?

Thanks.

Depends on the insurance company you choose to go with.

Many, but not all, require purchase within 14 days of initial deposit on the cruise.

What you can do is but the insurance based on what you've paid now. In other words, the $2000.

Then, as you buy airfare, you add that to you insurance amount and pay the increase in insurance costs. So on and so on.

Just don't forget to increase the insurance coverage. They will not lose any sleep denying a claim because you forgot to increase coverage on time.

We plan to book this week a May 2018 cruise with a deposit of $2,000 to lock the cabin we want, and with the balance paid on cruise final payment date. We plan to book flights and hotels in Dec 2017 yet so we don't know the total trip amounts.

For pre-existing medical conditions to be covered for the whole trip amounts, when is the latest that we have to get the travel insurance, and what is the trip amount that we should state? Will the flight and hotel expenses be covered by the pre-existing medical condition even if it is paid in 2017?

Thanks.

Both Nationwide and CSA offer plans wherein payment for insurance is not due until final payment for cruise. Both are available on Insure My Trip.

Almost all others require payment for the non-refundable amount at or near point of payment.

Depends on the insurance company you choose to go with.

Many, but not all, require purchase within 14 days of initial deposit on the cruise.

What you can do is but the insurance based on what you've paid now. In other words, the $2000.

Then, as you buy airfare, you add that to you insurance amount and pay the increase in insurance costs. So on and so on.

Just don't forget to increase the insurance coverage. They will not lose any sleep denying a claim because you forgot to increase coverage on time.

Thanks. What is the difference between the purchase within 14 days of initial deposit, and the number of days look back period, to be covered on pre existing medical condition?

Both Nationwide and CSA offer plans wherein payment for insurance is not due until final payment for cruise. Both are available on Insure My Trip.

Almost all others require payment for the non-refundable amount at or near point of payment.

Very interesting. Do you mean if I book today (2016), and my final payment is Jan 16, 2018, does it mean I can get the insurance today but pay it in Jan 16, 2018?

To waive the Pre-existing condition exclusion, you must purchase a policy that offers that coverage within that policy's time limit AND insure the full cost of the trip.

Most policies require 14-21 days after first deposit, CSA is one that does not require purchase until before final payment. Some policies allow you to bump up the coverage amount as you purchase the Trip parts, but not all allow this.

The pre-existing lookback is usually 60-90 days (again, depends on policy) from the date of coverage. Meaning any medical condition during the 60-90 days before is excluded from coverage....unless you purchase the waiver of that exclusion by purchasing within the policy time limit and cover all prepaid, non-refundable expenses.

To waive the Pre-existing condition exclusion, you must purchase a policy that offers that coverage within that policy's time limit AND insure the full cost of the trip.

Most policies require 14-21 days after first deposit, CSA is one that does not require purchase until before final payment. Some policies allow you to bump up the coverage amount as you purchase the Trip parts, but not all allow this.

The pre-existing lookback is usually 60-90 days (again, depends on policy) from the date of coverage. Meaning any medical condition during the 60-90 days before is excluded from coverage....unless you purchase the waiver of that exclusion by purchasing within the policy time limit and cover all prepaid, non-refundable expenses.

Thank you.

Thank you.

We get our insurance through

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

and they were extremely patient helping us learn about the different types of coverage when we were first learning about all of this.

(Suggest you call and ask for Steve)

We usually use Travel Insured policies, and the type we get requires that the insurance be started within 21 days of making the *first* payment.

But once, we didn't, because we weren't sure we were going to go (thought we probably wouldn't), and then decided to go. "Ooops"

So we got insurance through CSA, which needs to be done within 24 hours of "final payment". Keep in mind that "final payment" is defined very specifically.

One other thing to keep in mind: For many (most? ALL??) policies, one must be "fit/able to travel" on the day the insurance is started.

So... if one only has that 1 day window, and one is unfortunately sick that day, then that window is missed entirely.

We actually had this *almost* happen with a different policy.

For a trip we just started planning, our most expensive to date (and really expensive by our standards), I made the deposit (which was 1/3 of the entire price!) and IMMEDIATELY contacted Steve to start the insurance with Travel Insured, even though we really had 21 days.

Well... 2 days later, I suddenly landed in an ambulance en route to the hospital (unpleasant in its own right, of course).

I got out of the hospital in less than 21 days, but IF I had delayed making that first payment until, say, a day or two before the 21 days ended, then... we wouldn't have had the pre-existing condition waiver.

IF that had happened, we would have switched to CSA. But if this had already been CSA, and our final payment was due, and I was in the hospital, then it would not have been a good situation, given that we both need that waiver of the exclusion of pre-existing condition clause, and we could *not* have gotten that pricey deposit back at that late date.

Point is, rare as that situation might be, don't wait for the last minute to start the insurance.

We get our insurance through

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

and they were extremely patient helping us learn about the different types of coverage when we were first learning about all of this.

(Suggest you call and ask for Steve)

We usually use Travel Insured policies, and the type we get requires that the insurance be started within 21 days of making the *first* payment.

But once, we didn't, because we weren't sure we were going to go (thought we probably wouldn't), and then decided to go. "Ooops"

So we got insurance through CSA, which needs to be done within 24 hours of "final payment". Keep in mind that "final payment" is defined very specifically.

One other thing to keep in mind: For many (most? ALL??) policies, one must be "fit/able to travel" on the day the insurance is started.

So... if one only has that 1 day window, and one is unfortunately sick that day, then that window is missed entirely.

We actually had this *almost* happen with a different policy.

For a trip we just started planning, our most expensive to date (and really expensive by our standards), I made the deposit (which was 1/3 of the entire price!) and IMMEDIATELY contacted Steve to start the insurance with Travel Insured, even though we really had 21 days.

Well... 2 days later, I suddenly landed in an ambulance en route to the hospital (unpleasant in its own right, of course).

I got out of the hospital in less than 21 days, but IF I had delayed making that first payment until, say, a day or two before the 21 days ended, then... we wouldn't have had the pre-existing condition waiver.

IF that had happened, we would have switched to CSA. But if this had already been CSA, and our final payment was due, and I was in the hospital, then it would not have been a good situation, given that we both need that waiver of the exclusion of pre-existing condition clause, and we could *not* have gotten that pricey deposit back at that late date.

Point is, rare as that situation might be, don't wait for the last minute to start the insurance.

Thanks for the scenarios you gave as it addressed my concerns. We will book for May 2018 (to reserve the cabin) and pay the deposit even if we are not yet sure to finally take the cruise.

Even if I can fully refund my deposit from the cruise line until Feb 2018, I will just take out a policy and pay the insurance premium next week (2016 or 15 months ahead from cruise final payment date). This is for us to be covered by the waiver of pre-existing medical condition.

Is there a price difference in getting a policy thru Steve instead of direct from insurance company?

Thanks for the scenarios you gave as it addressed my concerns. We will book for May 2018 (to reserve the cabin) and pay the deposit even if we are not yet sure to finally take the cruise.

Even if I can fully refund my deposit from the cruise line until Feb 2018, I will just take out a policy and pay the insurance premium next week (2016 or 15 months ahead from cruise final payment date). This is for us to be covered by the waiver of pre-existing medical condition.

Is there a price difference in getting a policy thru Steve instead of direct from insurance company?

No extra charge to purchase through Steve/TripInsuranceStore.com

Insurance is regulated by the states. Any commission is paid by the insurer to the broker, and the "end cost" to the consumer/traveler is the same either way.

(MedJetAssist has a discount for AARP members, and that discount is available through TripInsuranceStore or direct from MedJetAssist.)

Again, please CALL Steve and he'll explain lots of other important/helpful details.

For example, with Travel Insured policies (the type we have, anyway), we insurance on only the deposit amount. As additional amounts are paid, we need to increase the coverage, also within that 21 day window of each payment.

Importantly (for the type of coverage we get; other policies may be different!), we must insure ALL pre-paid costs, even if they are refundable, so that we get the waiver of that exclusion for pre-existing conditions.

So... we try to get hotels where the charge card number is used as a "guarantee", but they don't actually charge anything until one arrives (or until one is a no-show...). That way, the total needing to be insured is a bit less.

Also... IF we change our plans and decide not to take that particular trip, the policy (and premiums already paid) can be TRANSFERRED once to a different trip, with some restrictions as to timing of that other trip, etc. We've done this a couple of times, so the premiums are not "lost" if the trip falls through.

Starting the insurance now also locks in the current rate.

When there was a rate increase about to occur, we started insurance on a few trips by making an initial but refundable deposit, so we locked in the current, lower rates.

Steve can help you with all of the above, and lots more.

We kept calling at first, with lots of questions, and he was very patient and very helpful.

Note: In case Steve recommends a policy from a company other than Travel Insured, call *soon*. Other companies have deadlines like 10 or 14 days to start that coverage, not the 21 days in the Travel Insured policy we get. Your needs/concerns/ages/etc., may warrant a very different policy.

CSA Travel Protection offers a plan covering pre existing conditions with payment on final deposit of cruise. You have to call for the policy--800-874-2442 because its not on the http://www.csatravelprotection.com website for some reason.

I shop on those comparison websites but buy directly from the insurance provider.

Again, please CALL Steve and he'll explain lots of other important/helpful details.

For example, with Travel Insured policies (the type we have, anyway), we insurance on only the deposit amount. As additional amounts are paid, we need to increase the coverage, also within that 21 day window of each payment.

Being a Sunday yesterday, spoke with Becky instead of Steve. Am satisfied with her explanations. Thanks again.

CSA Travel Protection offers a plan covering pre existing conditions with payment on final deposit of cruise. You have to call for the policy--800-874-2442 because its not on the www.csatravelprotection.com website for some reason.

I shop on those comparison websites but buy directly from the insurance provider.

Thanks. Will keep CSA as one of the options.

• 1 month later...

Importantly (for the type of coverage we get; other policies may be different!), we must insure ALL pre-paid costs, even if they are refundable, so that we get the waiver of that exclusion for pre-existing conditions.

So... we try to get hotels where the charge card number is used as a "guarantee", but they don't actually charge anything until one arrives (or until one is a no-show...). That way, the total needing to be insured is a bit less.

Also... IF we change our plans and decide not to take that particular trip, the policy (and premiums already paid) can be TRANSFERRED once to a different trip, with some restrictions as to timing of that other trip, etc. We've done this a couple of times, so the premiums are not "lost" if the trip falls through.

Starting the insurance now also locks in the current rate.

When there was a rate increase about to occur, we started insurance on a few trips by making an initial but refundable deposit, so we locked in the current, lower rates.

I do so appreciate this (and all ) your informative posts....but I am confused.

You mention securing insurance for just deposit...but then also mention "prepaid costs even if refundable" ...to maintain the pre existing waiver part.

When I called one of the insurance sites today...I was told I had to cover all expenses...to have waiver.

So a person really cannot just inititate a policy by covering the deposit and still maintain waiver???????? Or is it just that the the deposit is the only "pre paid" expense????

My head hurts!:o

I do so appreciate this (and all ) your informative posts....but I am confused.

You mention securing insurance for just deposit...but then also mention "prepaid costs even if refundable" ...to maintain the pre existing waiver part.

When I called one of the insurance sites today...I was told I had to cover all expenses...to have waiver.

So a person really cannot just inititate a policy by covering the deposit and still maintain waiver???????? Or is it just that the the deposit is the only "pre paid" expense????

My head hurts!:o

Yeah, it can be confusing at first.

Next... please do call Steve (http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com) with questions like this.

That's how I/we learned.

And they are *remarkably* patient. I had zillions of questions. And then more....!

IN GENERAL (make SURE that you get the details of whichever specific policy you will be getting, or are considering, as nothing else will matter later):

My best experience (with purchasing policies and two large claims) is with Travel Insured, purchased through TripInsuranceStore:

Yes, ALL prepaid costs must be included, refundable or not, to keep that waiver.

However, one can "pay as you go/pay"... starting with that first deposit, and then upping the coverage each time you pay more, or add a hotel or tour.

But you MUST meet that same deadline (e.g., within 21 days after payment for EACH additional payment).

(Note: I think there are some other policies where you have to pay the full amount up front which is tricky - how would one even know? Not sure about this.)

But ONLY if those others are PRE-paid.

So hotels that are "guaranteed" with the credit card? NO need to include any costs, because you haven't pre-paid (or even "paid" yet).

NOTE: IF the cancellation policy is something like several days or a week in advance, then we PRE-PAY it before leaving. Otherwise, if something happens along the way while traveling, that amount won't be included in the total coverage available. (But we are willing to cover some of these expenses ourselves, so to save on insurance, we often do NOT prepay when possible, and just have the guarantee in case of no-show, etc. Also, sometimes the no-show penalty is just the first night.)

Also, these policie go in bumps of $500 to a point, and then $1k.

So if you have coverage for, say $6,200, and then add something costing, say, $395, then you are still within that same "thousand range".

Hope this helps.

But please, do not rely upon what I have just written for YOUR specific policy! It might be exactly the same, but it might not be.

:)

Edited by GeezerCouple

Yeah, it can be confusing at first.

Next... please do call Steve (http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com) with questions like this.

That's how I/we learned.

And they are *remarkably* patient. I had zillions of questions. And then more....!

IN GENERAL (make SURE that you get the details of whichever specific policy you will be getting, or are considering, as nothing else will matter later):

My best experience (with purchasing policies and two large claims) is with Travel Insured, purchased through TripInsuranceStore:

Yes, ALL prepaid costs must be included, refundable or not, to keep that waiver.

However, one can "pay as you go/pay"... starting with that first deposit, and then upping the coverage each time you pay more, or add a hotel or tour.

But you MUST meet that same deadline (e.g., within 21 days after payment for EACH additional payment).

(Note: I think there are some other policies where you have to pay the full amount up front which is tricky - how would one even know? Not sure about this.)

But ONLY if those others are PRE-paid.

So hotels that are "guaranteed" with the credit card? NO need to include any costs, because you haven't pre-paid (or even "paid" yet).

NOTE: IF the cancellation policy is something like several days or a week in advance, then we PRE-PAY it before leaving. Otherwise, if something happens along the way while traveling, that amount won't be included in the total coverage available. (But we are willing to cover some of these expenses ourselves, so to save on insurance, we often do NOT prepay when possible, and just have the guarantee in case of no-show, etc. Also, sometimes the no-show penalty is just the first night.)

Also, these policie go in bumps of $500 to a point, and then $1k.

So if you have coverage for, say $6,200, and then add something costing, say, $395, then you are still within that same "thousand range".

Hope this helps.

But please, do not rely upon what I have just written for YOUR specific policy! It might be exactly the same, but it might not be.

:)

Thanks! I actually did call Tripinsurancestore a few days ago and the other one today....(as they carried 2 policies I was considering)...

I had basically decided on one policy ...THEN realized ..that by adding the prepaid beverage gratuity (NCL) which I had forgotten ...I was in a new "bump"...and premiums jumped !!! :eek: So am re evaluating all the plans..trying to get the best deal....Even though I started doing this upon deposit...on 11/30....!!!! Now I am reaching crunch time..with days:eek:

Thanks! I actually did call Tripinsurancestore a few days ago and the other one today....(as they carried 2 policies I was considering)...

I had basically decided on one policy ...THEN realized ..that by adding the prepaid beverage gratuity (NCL) which I had forgotten ...I was in a new "bump"...and premiums jumped !!! :eek: So am re evaluating all the plans..trying to get the best deal....Even though I started doing this upon deposit...on 11/30....!!!! Now I am reaching crunch time..with days:eek:

Ouch.

I assume the beverages were freebies?

If not, you could probably try to call and have it all removed, and pay once onboard (it's not like a spa pass where they might run out).

Will they let you "pay" the gratuities once onboard? That might not work for freebies (?).

Is there anything else you could have credited back (and *shown* properly on a charge statement in case of a claim) and then pay once the trip has started?

Note: I'm still not 100% clear on what happens if one leaves, say, the last week (prior to return air) "open", and then after one leaves home, say at the hotel the night before the cruise, make pre-paid hotel reservations.

That hasn't occurred for us - yet...

We've added "guaranteed" reservations, which aren't a concern for *our* policy coverage.

(These are reasons we call Steve a lot :))

Ouch.

I assume the beverages were freebies?

If not, you could probably try to call and have it all removed, and pay once onboard (it's not like a spa pass where they might run out).

Will they let you "pay" the gratuities once onboard? That might not work for freebies (?).

Is there anything else you could have credited back (and *shown* properly on a charge statement in case of a claim) and then pay once the trip has started?

Note: I'm still not 100% clear on what happens if one leaves, say, the last week (prior to return air) "open", and then after one leaves home, say at the hotel the night before the cruise, make pre-paid hotel reservations.

That hasn't occurred for us - yet...

We've added "guaranteed" reservations, which aren't a concern for *our* policy coverage.

(These are reasons we call Steve a lot :))

Sorry no.....besides fare...just tax/port fees and "free" beverage package gratuities...all had to be paid up front....

Plus add to that....DH and I just realized we are getting old :rolleyes: as our usual trip insurance costs have gone up.:mad:

Sorry no.....besides fare...just tax/port fees and "free" beverage package gratuities...all had to be paid up front....

Plus add to that....DH and I just realized we are getting old :rolleyes: as our usual trip insurance costs have gone up.:mad:

DH just passed what seems to be an "insurance noteworthy" birthday :(

DH just passed what seems to be an "insurance noteworthy" birthday :(

;) At this point...I will just book...and hope that fares go down...!

And if they do...wonder if the policy will then re adjust :confused: if I go below the bump...