Not liking Carnival's berth maximization policies

nealstuber

I know it's been discussed here before: if there's an extra bed in your room Carnival can move you even though you've paid a higher rate than a guarantee to pick your cabin.

We're huge Cove fans and booking just 50 days out, picked the only non connecting room left that also has a great location for us.

When we received our confirmation we were in another location , connecting room right by the elevators. Emailed the TA to get the cabin we asked for as it was still available and they changed it, but now we have this warning that they can move us if they need to.

Wasn't wild about the other location, but I'd be real ticked to end up just above the Lani in a regular balcony.

Emailed the agent back asking her to put No upgrades on the reservation, but now I'm thinking I should ask them to change it back to insure we get a cove.

Anyway, it's just another hassle that was not part of the cruising experience just a couple of years ago, but I guess the bean counters think it's good business.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really don't see the reason of your complaint. You know that you are only guaranteed if you book a cabin that hosts your exact number of guests.

It's the company's rule and honestly, if they can sell even 1 berth more they will.

If you don't want the risk of being moved, pick a cabin that hosts your number of passengers and that is not modified.

I really don't see the reason of your complaint. You know that you are only guaranteed if you book a cabin that hosts your exact number of guests.

It's the company's rule and honestly, if they can sell even 1 berth more they will.

If you don't want the risk of being moved, pick a cabin that hosts your number of passengers and that is not modified.

Agreed.

The OP would feel differently if she were on the other side of the issue. You needed a Cove for 4 and the only one with a decent location left had 3 people in it and somehow you found out. You would want that party of 3 moved.

Well I'm confused. Pardon my ignorance since it has been many years since I last cruised and maybe I'm misunderstanding policy. But I thought that if you picked a cabin (opposed to a "guarantee" cabin) that was your cabin?

Only if configured to the number of people in your group. However if they move you typically you get some sort of upgrade.

Well I'm confused. Pardon my ignorance since it has been many years since I last cruised and maybe I'm misunderstanding policy. But I thought that if you picked a cabin (opposed to a "guarantee" cabin) that was your cabin?

If you choose a cabin that holds more than the number of people in your party, Carnival reserves the right to move you.

Actually you aren't even guaranteed the exact cabin you select as they can and will move you if they need it for other reasons such as repairs, etc. The latter doesn't happen all too often though thankfully, but I have experienced it twice.

Although it may be policy, in black and white if you read the fine print, the OP makes a great point - you pay a higher price to pick a specific cabin on a specific deck. You aren't paying the "guarantee" rate. If Carnival has the right to change your cabin, why pay more than guarantee rate. Actually, if Carnival, or any other cruise line changes your cabin to maximize occupancy, they should refund you the difference between the rate you paid and double occupancy.

One other comment - this is new policy. If you go back several years, their contracts and their brochures said their rates were based on "double occupancy". This of course gave them the right to charge a premium for a single cruiser. Over the years that language has disappeared, as cruise lines realized they could get away with it.

Only if configured to the number of people in your group. However if they move you typically you get some sort of upgrade.

If you choose a cabin that holds more than the number of people in your party' date=' Carnival reserves the right to move you.

Actually you aren't even guaranteed the exact cabin you select as they can and will move you if they need it for other reasons such as repairs, etc. The latter doesn't happen all too often though thankfully, but I have experienced it twice.[/quote']

Thanks, now I get it. Learn something new every day. Sorry for the OP dilemma.

Although it may be policy, in black and white if you read the fine print, the OP makes a great point - you pay a higher price to pick a specific cabin on a specific deck. You aren't paying the "guarantee" rate. If Carnival has the right to change your cabin, why pay more than guarantee rate. Actually, if Carnival, or any other cruise line changes your cabin to maximize occupancy, they should refund you the difference between the rate you paid and double occupancy.

One other comment - this is new policy. If you go back several years, their contracts and their brochures said their rates were based on "double occupancy". This of course gave them the right to charge a premium for a single cruiser. Over the years that language has disappeared, as cruise lines realized they could get away with it.

I don't understand your refund statement. Example: You are only paying for 2 in a 3 person cabin. What are they supposed to refund? You're not getting charged for 3 right off the bat. Same if you book a 4 person cabin and only have 3. They aren't going to move you to a 2 person cabin. So I'm confused by this statement.

If you want that specific cabin and you choose it knowing full well that you don't meet the occupancy threshold, then that's a risk you have to be willing to take. If not, then choose another cabin that holds the amount of people that are actually going or pay for the extra berth(s).

This policy has been around for as long as I can remember and it's not exclusive to Carnival either. The rates are based on double occupancy and that's why oftentimes the 3rd and 4th passengers are less. Not all the time, but in most cases.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I don't understand your refund statement. Example: You are only paying for 2 in a 3 person cabin. What are they supposed to refund? You're not getting charged for 3 right off the bat. Same If you book a 4 person cabin and only have 3. They aren't going to move you to a 2 person cabin. So I'm confused by this statement.

If you want that specific cabin and you choose it knowing full well that you don't meet the occupancy threshold, then that's a risk you have to be willing to take. If not, then choose another cabin that holds the amount of people that are actually going or pay for the extra berth(s).

This policy has been around for as long as I can remember and it's not exclusive to Carnival either. The rates are based on double occupancy and that's why oftentimes the 3rd and 4th passengers are less. Not all the time, but in most cases.

Totally correct.

Some cruise lines don't even allow you to book cabins if you have less guests than the cabin max.

Agreed.

The OP would feel differently if she were on the other side of the issue. You needed a Cove for 4 and the only one with a decent location left had 3 people in it and somehow you found out. You would want that party of 3 moved.

I have only sailed on Carnival once, many years ago, but I find this statement absurd beyond the pale. I try to cram four people in one room and if I find out there is another cabin with only three you would expect them to move?

Is this normal procedure on this line? Ugg!!!

Edited by PoppyandNana

I have only sailed on Carnival once, many years ago, but I find this statement absurd beyond the pale. I try to cram four people in one room and if I find out there is another cabin with only three you would expect them to move?

Well there would be no way of knowing what 4 person cabins only had 2 or 3 in them without having a TA, or someone like a PVP at Carnival actually go into the system and look. But if it meant being able to bring my family (like when the boys were too little to stay in their own cabin) vs not and there were only 2 or 3 people in a 4 person cabin and the ship wasn't at capacity, then yes, I would expect them to be moved. On any line.

I wouldn't purposefully seek out to move someone, but if Carnival says there is space for the 4 of us in one cabin, then I'm going to take it. It's not like the other party is going to be booted off the ship totally. Again, it's a risk they took knowing it's a possibility. Sometimes a roll of the dice can pay off. Sometimes not. And yes I would feel the same way if the rolls were reversed. It's not a gamble I'm willing to take, however, so I plan accordingly.

What are you talking about? Why is it absurd that a person looking for a quad cabin could move a party of 3 booked in a quad? Absurd that Carnival would try and sell every berth they have available on the ship? No that's policy.

Now if you think the idea of 4 in a cabin to begin with is absurd, I tend to agree with you. In a normal 185 sq. ft. Carnival cabin. It's an idea I would never entertain. Three is the max for me and that's pushing it. But plenty of people sail 4 to a room either with their kids or whatever and are fine with it. That's not at all the point of the thread.

If you book less people in a room that had bed space for more, you can be moved. Even if the system allows you to book the room. That's the OPs beef but it's also Carnival's policy and it's not absurd. Last year we booked a quad Oceanview for 2. And I was a little worried because the rest of the party was on the same deck in the same area of the ship. Carnival didn't move us and they usually don't. But they could have. The only good thing is that you will be upgraded if this happens. But like me, I wouldn't have wanted an upgrade. I wanted that cabin because of the location.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would not like to be moved either. Someone can come along at the last minute and boot you out of the cabin that you reserved months ago. If they offered to upgrade me because they wanted my cabin but I could turn down the offer, that would be different.

I would not like to be moved either. Someone can come along at the last minute and boot you out of the cabin that you reserved months ago. If they offered to upgrade me because they wanted my cabin but I could turn down the offer, that would be different.

I wouldn't care to have that happen either, but if you booked months ago then you should have picked a cabin that didn't exceed your occupancy requirement. They don't just let someone come along willy nillly with the same amount of passengers as you and take your cabin.

But should you be in a predicament where they need your higher occupancy cabin, you can pay the extra money to Carnival to lock in your choice. They would be more than willing to do that you know. Of course if they already put someone in it and they can't move them, then you may be out of luck. If not, then book at your own risk and be prepared in case things don't go your way.

Edited by firemanbobswife

It's for this very reason that I make sure to always book a room for my husband and I that only holds two, as I wouldn't want to be moved either. Otherwise, it would be hard to be mad a Carnival when I know they are perfectly within their right to move you for *any* reason (as stated in the cruise contract). But at least picking a room with the exact occupancy needed decreases your odds of being moved greatly. I think the OP simply needs to treat this as a learning experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

OP is booking a Christmas cruise. Those are problematic with occupancy issues.

If they booked a low season cruise they wouldn't have this issue.

They could buy the third berth if the cabin is that important for them.