Northern Lights?

JerseyMom

Your chances are pretty good. It will be getting dark late at night by then. Getting clear skies will be the tricky part. Since your ship will be sailing mostly at night, getting away from the city lights, you just need to wander outside once is a while.

You need dark skies. If you can see stars (not just the bright ones) your chances are good. Remember that weather conditions change very quickly up there. Just because it's overcast at one point, doesn't mean you won't get the occasional nice break in the clouds and some lovely views.

Some ships (i've heard) will give you a wakeup call if the lights "come out". Check with the appropriate folks. If not, arrange a group of people with a call list. Agree to call each person on the list if one of you sees lights. Then, just make a habit of taking a peak outside whenever you are up and about.

If you want to get really into it, check some websites that monitor solar activity, like this one and this one.

I would not say your chances are great to see the lights, when they are out at there best you can usualy here the news telling you that they will be out. Last year I heard that they could be seen all the way down to Arizona. At least in Ketchikan you want to look North by east.

From the Inside Passage it is less than ideal and they are more horizonal. Best area is Fairbanks. If a priority, check DAILY the predictions from the Fairbanks U, geophysical site. As mentioned you need clear dark nights.

If you want to get really into it, check some websites that monitor solar activity, like this one and this one.

We saw the Northern Lights on our cruise two years ago in the beggining of august. It was around 1-2 am. They were directly overhead.

Here is the web site I use to track the Northern Lights:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/cgi-bin/predict.cgi

Good Luck

We saw the Northern Lights on our cruise two years ago in the beggining of august. It was around 1-2 am. They were directly overhead.

Here is the web site I use to track the Northern Lights:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/cgi-bin/predict.cgi

Good Luck

This is a great website. I will bookmark it.

Steamboats - I do hope that our Captain does the same if it is possible to see the lights.

Archived