What Exactly are the Perks with Group Booking?

zaknzoey

I booked three different groups for company trips earlier this year and my PCC told me there were now 3 programs to choose from. Below were the three programs.

If you choose program A your 2 free fares are for the rate category you have the most cabins booked in. Plan it right and you could get a really great deal on a GV!!!!

FS Program A

2 Free Fares for every 7 cabins booked

FS Program B

1 Free Fare for every 7 cabins booked

One Amenity:

◦Ultimate Beverage Package (For Guest 1 & 2)

◦Pre-Paid Gratuities (For Guest 1 & 2)

FS Program C

1 Free Fare for every 7 cabins booked

Two Amenities:

◦250 Minute Wifi Package

◦Cocktail Party

◦$50 per port Shore Excursion Credit

◦4 Night Specialty Dining Package (For Guest 1 & 2)

◦20 Photograph Package

◦$75 On Board Credit

◦$75 Fundraiser Credit

These perks are for affinity groups only. If it's a freestyle group, then the perk for the free fare is 1 free fare for every 8 cabins booked.

Okay, another scenario...I currently have 4 cabins all mini-suites, with a total of 14 passengers. What if I book 3 separate inside studios, then we have 17 passengers with the 7 cabin requirement. Would when then get the perks for the group?

why don't you take your 4 cabin booking to a travel agency that has a group on that sailing already. then you'll get the additional group perks and you don't need to scrounge up more cabins.

that's the simplest way to access the group deals.

What is an Affinity Group vs a Freestyle Group?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An affinity group is any group with something in common: a family, group of friends, a charity group, work group, etc. If you go to NCL or a travel agent and request a group booking, it is an affinity group. A freestyle group is a general group usually started by a travel agency that has group spots that are filled with customers that don't necessarily know one another. Does that make sense?

This has changed. Now you can get both pre-paid gratuities AND the beverage package. You choose two from a long list of perks that now includes all those under Program B and Program C. And yes, I know the website has not been updated yet, but trust me, it's the new way as of September.

Yes, you are confusing the two things. The PERK of pre-paid gratuities refers to the mandatory daily gratuities charged to your room for your room steward, dining staff, etc. There is also an 18% service charge automatically applied to all beverage packages. These are two entirely different beasts. The waiving of the 18% service charge from the beverage package perk is not a perk itself, just a little bonus for booking as a group (a.k.a they don't really advertise it). Hope this makes sense!

Thanks but this doesn't really answer my question. I understand the difference between the prepaid service charges and the 18% gratuity added to the cost of the bev package.

For our group booking, I was told that the group perks we would get are the 1 free fare (to be divided amonst the cabins as an obc) and the 18% gratuity on the bev package waived (if the bev package was one of the 2 free at sea perks we chose with our OV cabin). So I chose the bev package and the prepaid service charges as our 2 free at sea perks. From what I'm reading from travelerblue's post - they got the 1 free fare plus the 18% waived plus the prepaid service charges waived for their group booking perks and then would also be eligible for the free at sea perks in addition to that.

If this is true, then I would not choose the prepaid service charges as one of my free at sea perks since it would already be waived as part of the group perks. I would opt for the bev and dining instead of bev and prepaid service charges...

These perks are for affinity groups only. If it's a freestyle group, then the perk for the free fare is 1 free fare for every 8 cabins booked.

What I copied was directly from my NCL PCC. I had never heard of the different type of groups, freestyle and affinity. But what I am doing would be consistent with what you are saying. The three groups I have booked are all groups of employees. One thing I do know for sure is that with the new program I was able to grab a free Garden Villa. Gotta love that.

What I copied was directly from my NCL PCC. I had never heard of the different type of groups, freestyle and affinity. But what I am doing would be consistent with what you are saying. The three groups I have booked are all groups of employees. One thing I do know for sure is that with the new program I was able to grab a free Garden Villa. Gotta love that.

It's likely that I only know what a freestyle group is because I'm a travel agent. I can't imagine a scenario where a customer would establish such a group. Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks but this doesn't really answer my question. I understand the difference between the prepaid service charges and the 18% gratuity added to the cost of the bev package.

For our group booking, I was told that the group perks we would get are the 1 free fare (to be divided amonst the cabins as an obc) and the 18% gratuity on the bev package waived (if the bev package was one of the 2 free at sea perks we chose with our OV cabin). So I chose the bev package and the prepaid service charges as our 2 free at sea perks. From what I'm reading from travelerblue's post - they got the 1 free fare plus the 18% waived plus the prepaid service charges waived for their group booking perks and then would also be eligible for the free at sea perks in addition to that.

If this is true, then I would not choose the prepaid service charges as one of my free at sea perks since it would already be waived as part of the group perks. I would opt for the bev and dining instead of bev and prepaid service charges...

I'm sorry, I understand your question now. Unfortunately you do not get to participate in the Free at Sea program as a group. But rest assured, you're pretty much getting an improved version. You don't get both. However- you might want to inquire if you get more if you book a suite or Haven. That, I do not know.

Not a problem. The new program is great for us. We usually book suites and with suites you get all the perks anyway regardless of which program you choose so we are choosing the 2 free fares with 7 cabins of course. That is how we scored the GV on the Jewel to Alaska and will use it for 2 Bedroom Haven Suites on the Getaway for the other 2 cruises.

Not a problem. The new program is great for us. We usually book suites and with suites you get all the perks anyway regardless of which program you choose so we are choosing the 2 free fares with 7 cabins of course. That is how we scored the GV on the Jewel to Alaska and will use it for 2 Bedroom Haven Suites on the Getaway for the other 2 cruises.

Are all cabins the same type?

Are all cabins the same type?

No. The two free fares are for the category you have the most booked. So for the GV I have 2 GV's 1 2-bedroom Haven 1 Haven Penthouse and 3 balconies in all different categories.

I don't remember the mix on the 2 bedrooms on the Getaway.

I'm sorry, I understand your question now. Unfortunately you do not get to participate in the Free at Sea program as a group. But rest assured, you're pretty much getting an improved version. You don't get both. However- you might want to inquire if you get more if you book a suite or Haven. That, I do not know.

OK, thanks - I think I get it now. When I was booking on the phone I thought I was choosing my 2 free at sea perks - based on what I was seeing on the website but I was actually choosing my 2 group perks. And the 18% bev gratuity not applying is essentially an extra perk if you're part of a group booking.

As of now with just the two of us in the cabin we don't need a suite and from what I'm told there is no Haven on the Dawn.

Thanks again for your help!

No. The two free fares are for the category you have the most booked. So for the GV I have 2 GV's 1 2-bedroom Haven 1 Haven Penthouse and 3 balconies in all different categories.

I don't remember the mix on the 2 bedrooms on the Getaway.

Ok, just making sure you knew that! I would still confirm with someone at Norwegian that you get the two GVs even though you have three regular balcony cabins. I honestly don't know how they figure out which ones get the free tour conductor credits.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear. We are getting one free fare, the prepaid service fees and waiving of the 18% gratuity on the beverage package. That is it. We don't also get the free at sea perks in addition. We chose the beverage plan and the prepaid service fees from the long list that was posted previously.Hope that clarifies.

Ok, just making sure you knew that! I would still confirm with someone at Norwegian that you get the two GVs even though you have three regular balcony cabins. I honestly don't know how they figure out which ones get the free tour conductor credits.

I have copies saved, printed and every other form you can imagine stating that I am getting a free GV. My PCC at NCL made sure of that. She is awesome. She explained to me that it is based on the category. And all my balconies are different categories.

I had the one GV booked and was planning on getting 2 2 bedroom haven suites and getting one of those free when I saw the other GV became available. That made me wonder if it would be included. The program is so new my PCC said no one had ever asked but there was nothing that excluded any category. Hope that doesn't change.

I kept the 2 bedrooms and added some different categories to still get one of those free. Just booked it as a separate group.

I love this new program.

Edited by toyotaford

When you choose one of the group perks, does everyone in the group get the same perk? Or can each person in the group pick from that list?? :confused:

For example, if one cabin wants the $75 OBC, but another cabin wants the Free Daily service charge...

When you choose one of the group perks, does everyone in the group get the same perk? Or can each person in the group pick from that list?? :confused:

For example, if one cabin wants the $75 OBC, but another cabin wants the Free Daily service charge...

You can mix it up among the cabins. Pretty awesome!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

My only suggestion is you are an individual and organize a group cruise

and you have enough cabins for two people(you and your spouse or friend) to cruise free is to make sure

everyone else knows and  is onboard with that. I was not on this  cruise but those that did

said that they didn't realize that the organizers got to cruise for free and

they did not average the savings among the group. Oops. Some people would

be fine with it but it is not worth losing friends over like this couple did.

They have changed the way groups work now..

I set up a group cruise on the 6/16/19 Escape to Bermuda. You only need 5 cabins now and get one person free for every 5 cabins(cruise fare only)  You also get the Bev package and 4 by specialty dining. Unfortunately if you don’t get the perks offered for the category you book. So essentially you lose perks of you book above a balcony but the free fare helped with our group.