A Tipping question again

gg77

I am a first time cruiser. And I have been reading the tipping guidelines..

(Waiter, $3.50 per person/day. Asst. waiter, $2 per person/day., Cabin steward, $3.50 per person/day)

So are we to pay them on a daily basis after dinner in the dining room, etc.?

Or do we just wait till the end of the cruise and put the entire sum ($70 per person) in an envelope and leave it in the room?

Thanks in advance.

You will be left envelopes in your room before last night. You take the filled envelpoes to dinner & leave the cabin sterwards tip in envelope in your room. You can also have all of your tips put on your sail card and you will get paid cards to put in the envelopes. You can tip more than sugested to anyone if you want.

Depends on cruiseline, some add it automatically to your ship board account. Bar drinks tips are added when you sign for drinks.

If not, you get an envelope on the night before disembarkation to give to your steward and waiters at dinner.

I put enough to cover tips in a separate envelope then divi it up at end of cruise.

I much prefer the auto tip method!

Yes, this definitely varies by cruiseline.

Carnival, for instance, has "automatic tipping", and your tips for the entire length of your cruise will be on your Sail & Sign account. They do not leave envelopes in your cabin for you. (Exception: They leave one envelope in your cabin for the Maitre 'd IF you choose to tip him on the last evening.)

Your automatic tips on Carnival are as follows:

$5.50 per person per day to dining room waiter. He shares w/asst.

$3.50 per person per day to your cabin steward.

$1.00 per peson per day to Lido Deck dining personnel.

You have control of your tips, even though they are the first entry on your S&S account. You can increase, decrease, or even (I hope not) remove them completely and request envelopes from the purser's desk and do your own individual tipping. MOST passengers leave the automatic tips in place. VERY fair amount.

You most definitely do NOT leave tips on the table after each meal. And you don't leave tips on the table for the bar/lounge waiters. For anyone who brings you any kind of drink, there's a 15% gratutity automatically added to your bill. You tip on the last night by either giving cash or on some cruise lines you can have the tips automatically added to your sign and sail account.

Archived