NCL 5 hour El Yunque Excursion

parasailor

• 3 weeks later...
I would appreciate any feedback on the 5 hour El Yunque excursion offered by NCL (there is also a shorter one). I am sure roughly half the tour is spent on the bus; is the other half worthwhile? Thanks

I figure one is a drive through and the other with the hike to the water fall.

Not sure if just a drive is worth it if you have the time.

Thanks for replying. We think a hike should be much better, but hope to hear confirmation from someone who did it.

Happy Thanksgiving

I have done the hike and is pretty nice. What was great was when i entered the water and walked under the fall. That was what i liked the most!

I used the same company for all my tours, were the least expensive out there. That said i did a private tour and did pay a little more but was still way less than the other quotes i got. The best pat was they kept my luggage for us during our trip which saved us alot of time.

I have done the hike and is pretty nice. What was great was when i entered the water and walked under the fall. That was what i liked the most!

I used the same company for all my tours, were the least expensive out there. That said i did a private tour and did pay a little more but was still way less than the other quotes i got. The best pat was they kept my luggage for us during our trip which saved us alot of time.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That is very helpful.

What touring companies did you use, as we are staying a couple days after our Cruise to specifically do this.

What touring companies did you use, as we are staying a couple days after our Cruise to specifically do this.

The website is Puerto Rico Cruise excursion here is the link to the tour. Pretty easy to find them.

https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/excursion/san-juan-rainforest-el-yunque-la-mina-waterfall-excursion/

Since your staying maybe you can tour to the airport like i did!

If you book let me know how it went. Just would like to know if their service is still good, want to use them again when i return.

The website is Puerto Rico Cruise excursion here is the link to the tour. Pretty easy to find them.

https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/excursion/san-juan-rainforest-el-yunque-la-mina-waterfall-excursion/

Since your staying maybe you can tour to the airport like i did!

If you book let me know how it went. Just would like to know if their service is still good, want to use them again when i return.

Thanks for that link. Will definitely contact them.

I would appreciate any feedback on the 5 hour El Yunque excursion offered by NCL (there is also a shorter one). I am sure roughly half the tour is spent on the bus; is the other half worthwhile? Thanks

Last February we did the shorter (4 hour) tour. we visited a waterfall, the Tourist Visitation Center and the Observation Tower. At the visitor center we had an extra twenty minutes or so to hike on our own. Which was not nearly enough time.

Last February we did the shorter (4 hour) tour. we visited a waterfall, the Tourist Visitation Center and the Observation Tower. At the visitor center we had an extra twenty minutes or so to hike on our own. Which was not nearly enough time.

Thanks for your kind and helpful reply.

Was this the waterfall that is alongside the road? Not the one you have to hike into?

Was this the waterfall that is alongside the road? Not the one you have to hike into?

We took our time at the falls but if i remember it took at least 5 hours with the hike. We were taken to the visitors center and after 5 minutes i asked to continue on. Might be good for some but i was more interested in other things, by skipping the center we were able to also hike to another fall and pool.

We took our time at the falls but if i remember it took at least 5 hours with the hike. We were taken to the visitors center and after 5 minutes i asked to continue on. Might be good for some but i was more interested in other things, by skipping the center we were able to also hike to another fall and pool.

Hoping to do something like this. Looking for a Hotel to stay at that is nearby.

Hoping to do something like this. Looking for a Hotel to stay at that is nearby.

We drove through a town called Rio Grande and was told that there were big hotels by the sea. This tour took us to Loquillo at the beach and a stop at some food court type place. Very local and loved it!

For this trip, what footwear do veterans suggest--are sneakers enough or something heavier? Do you get to swim, or just walk under the waterfall?

The NCL description refers to climbing but gives little guidance.

Depends on which waterfall they do on the tour. If it's La Coca Falls, it's alongside the road and you just look at it. There is a trail up the falls, but it is not right next to the falls. If you get to do La Mina Falls, some shoes with traction may be useful, as the trail down (and back up) can be slippery at times. At La Mina, you can swim in the pool beneath the falls, but I don't remember anything at La Coca. I can't remember being able to walk under La Mina...

For the poster asking about hotels: In the Rio Grande/Rio Mar area, there are several beach resort hotels - the St. Regis Bahia Beach, the Gran Melia, and the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar. I've stayed at the St. Regis and the Wyndham (back when it was a Westin). The St. Regis is a luxury property (AAA 5 Diamond) with a luxury price tag, with the Gran Melia and Wyndham a step below it. There are some other hotels in the Luqillo/Fajardo area, but I cannot help with those other then the Waldorf Astoria El Conquistador - another luxury property.

We are looking into getting a room at the Wyndham. I thought I read that taxi's are a flat rate, is that true? Because our next concern will be getting from the Port to the Hotel then the airport.

And I hope that our touring company we sign up with will not have any issues picking us up from our Hotel.

And now to look into shoes with traction maybe because I definitely wanted to see La Mins falls. My new Nike Air (in white ) that I am getting for Christmas don't sound like they are for this job...

We are looking into getting a room at the Wyndham. I thought I read that taxi's are a flat rate, is that true? Because our next concern will be getting from the Port to the Hotel then the airport.

And I hope that our touring company we sign up with will not have any issues picking us up from our Hotel.

And now to look into shoes with traction maybe because I definitely wanted to see La Mins falls. My new Nike Air (in white ) that I am getting for Christmas don't sound like they are for this job...

I know the taxis are a flat rate inside San Juan, but I'm not sure about out around the island. I rented a car to get to Rio Grande - it gave me freedom to go outside the resort area for food and activities.

If you are going to do a tour of El Yunque instead of DIY, check with the Concierge services at the hotel you book to see who they use for any El Yunque tour and if they pick up at Hotel. Or, if you book on your own, just ask before putting down your money.

I would definitely NOT wear those Nikes unless you want to re-color them brown :eek:

I know the taxis are a flat rate inside San Juan, but I'm not sure about out around the island. I rented a car to get to Rio Grande - it gave me freedom to go outside the resort area for food and activities.

If you are going to do a tour of El Yunque instead of DIY, check with the Concierge services at the hotel you book to see who they use for any El Yunque tour and if they pick up at Hotel. Or, if you book on your own, just ask before putting down your money.

I would definitely NOT wear those Nikes unless you want to re-color them brown :eek:

Will definitely check with the Hotel to see what touring company they recommend for El Yunque. Thanks for that tip as well as the one about the sneakers. This may make me keep the old ones until this trip.

Anyone have any link for where the Carnival Fascination will be docking at what port in San Juan? As well as a link for taxi info...TIA

Gal