Which cruise/ship advise please

DnA2010

Hi there, we are looking at Alaska next summer and would like advice on which cruise to pick- our party would consist of 2 mid/late 30s couples, each with a 11month old baby, a 13 year old girl and my 67 year old fit mother- due to the babies, I'm guessing we want round trip, and either Vancouver or Seattle is ok.

I think our priorities are decent weather, seeing a glacier/s and cost- would love some thoughts/suggestions on which cruise/line as I start looking into.

Thank you so much!

Hi there, we are looking at Alaska next summer and would like advice on which cruise to pick- our party would consist of 2 mid/late 30s couples, each with a 11month old baby, a 13 year old girl and my 67 year old fit mother- due to the babies, I'm guessing we want round trip, and either Vancouver or Seattle is ok.

I think our priorities are decent weather, seeing a glacier/s and cost- would love some thoughts/suggestions on which cruise/line as I start looking into.

Thank you so much!

I live in Kamloops as well.

Vancouver round trip cruises ( 7 day) are limited to Holland America and Celebrity . If your up to a 14 day northbound and then southbound . Your choices Princess , Holland America ,NCL , Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

If only 7 day cruises I personally would look at Seattle .

Considering the age age range I would recommend Celebrity or Princess . Holland America probably will be OK for your mother but won't really work for the rest . NCL or RCI probably would work best for for all.

Edited by Kamloops50

You will see rave reviews for all the Alaska cruises.

I suggest you look further, at how much you want to spend, and what you want to see and do in ports. And if there are any priority ports you wish to include.

If you have 14 days- and a glacier priority, that is a superior option, with 2 cruises. Plus the bonus of Whittier or Seward. :)

We did the 7 day Alaska Seattle roundtrip on Princess. We did the Glacier Bay and it was fine. We did it last week of May and, being from the East, the weather was fine with just layers for wear when necessary. Princess is not as pricey as others think. It really depends on dates chosen, which we are also particular.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the 7 day Alaska Seattle roundtrip on Princess. We did the Glacier Bay and it was fine. We did it last week of May and, being from the East, the weather was fine with just layers for wear when necessary. Princess is not as pricey as others think. It really depends on dates chosen, which we are also particular.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, I was just reading about the Princess 7 day from Seattle.

Flying from the same airport you landed in shouldn't be any less difficult than flying from a different airport. If that's the only consideration I would take a trip starting in a different port than endin; you'll see so much more.

We will probably stick to a round trip if possible to avoid flight costs- we will be driving to either Vancouver or Seattle

You will see rave reviews for all the Alaska cruises.

I suggest you look further, at how much you want to spend, and what you want to see and do in ports. And if there are any priority ports you wish to include.

If you have 14 days- and a glacier priority, that is a superior option, with 2 cruises. Plus the bonus of Whittier or Seward. :)

I think our priority will be seeing a glacier, with two babies, I don't see us doing too many crazy excursions...

Pretty sure due to time and budget, we will need to stick to a 7 day cruise

I live in Kamloops as well.

Vancouver round trip cruises ( 7 day) are limited to Holland America and Celebrity . If your up to a 14 day northbound and then southbound . Your choices Princess , Holland America ,NCL , Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

If only 7 day cruises I personally would look at Seattle .

Considering the age age range I would recommend Celebrity or Princess . Holland America probably will be OK for your mother but won't really work for the rest . NCL or RCI probably would work best for for all.

Wow small world! Hello fellow Kamloopsian!

I am def looking into the ones you suggested - we have been in Royal twice and enjoyed

We did a RT out of Vancouver on HAL that visited Glacier Bay with our 4 year old son & loved it. (Their Explore 4 promotion may be beneficial to you - reduced fares.)

I was told that HAL was more of a "seniors" cruise line- just wondering if there would be any kids for our 12 (will be 13 year old) on HAL and if the entertainment and activities will be tailored more to say a 60+ crowd?

Here's a bit more advice from another BC'r.

First :

Please dismiss Seattle from your choices. Budget/time/border and getting there and lack of scenery out of that Port and through the "Inside Passage" (up and back) available makes it always second choice unless there is a Port that you really want to visit that the Vancouver ships don't go to. SEattle itself of course is a great city and harbour but going out under the Lions gate bridge and the surrounding mountains and inside Vancouver Island can not be beat.

Second:

Do not dismiss HAL. their magradome /pool set ups for inclement weather is great for bad weather traveling. Esp. for kids. That being said the pool is usually restricted indoors for kids but there are times when it is available. This happens more frequently in Alaska... oh... Take strollers that pushes easy. Those 11 month old's will get a lot of attention. Esp. when dad is taking his turn ‼️

The so called age issue on HAL is not as great as everyone lets on especially on a 7 day Alaska cruise in the summer. Teens are also seen with family more and more. Not an issue in my mind.

The Infinity (Celebrity) is also a great ship for family. They have an indoor T pool(like a big hot tub) that will have specific hours for kids as it is restricted to over certain ages. Hot tubs out on the pool deck and one of their outdoor pools is heated these days I believe.

Both ships will have a kids program. ( Not for the babies.)

Been a few times.....

my above recommendations aside. The Solstice another Celebrity ship out of Seattle is more updated larger ship that you all will enjoy.

Alaska cruises tend to be family affairs (not unlike your scenario) on all of the lines.

Also some seniors are spry, while some pre-teen/teens are sullen & withdrawn (aka won't join in) so it is unfair to judge based on the demographics that you assume will be on the cruise line.

Choose based on what you know.

For us:

What is the itinerary (i.e. 7-day R/T leaves Vancouver visits Glacier Bay),

what is the size of the ship (small compared to RCCL/NCL/Carnival/Princess), what are the amenities (kids club, covered pool area, crows nest),

etc. (Explore 4 package)

Next cruise - 14-night AK cruise in July incl. Explore 4 for less than other cruise lines charge for 7-night cruise (We are ok with inside cabins, I'd rather spend the difference for a balcony on excursions.)

just wondering if there would be any kids for our 12 (will be 13 year old) on HAL

Club HAL has a good reputation for kids' programs and does help attract kids to their cruises - especially sailings during summer when school is out.

Princess and HAL sort of have the lock on Glacier Bay itineraries.

As noted the sailings out of Seattle travel "outside" Vancouver Is. so there can be a little more ship motion than the Inside route from Vancouver. You also have a sea day outside the island so not a lot to see. Sailing from Vancouver is more scenic but Puget Sound and the Strait at sunset are scenic too. For use we couldn't resist the chance to wave a home as we cruise by.

Yes, the dome thing on HAL ships is nice - making the pool much more available than fully outdoor pools.

Assuming school holiday sets the parameters on timing for the 13 yo for weather I would opt for August which is typically the driest time of year on the wet side of the mountains for Seattle and Vancouver. Farther north that does not always hold up and May can be drier up there but also much cooler.

Since you want glaciers then any itinerary that has both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm would be a good choice.

Here's a bit more advice from another BC'r.

First :

Please dismiss Seattle from your choices. Budget/time/border and getting there and lack of scenery out of that Port and through the "Inside Passage" (up and back) available makes it always second choice unless there is a Port that you really want to visit that the Vancouver ships don't go to. SEattle itself of course is a great city and harbour but going out under the Lions gate bridge and the surrounding mountains and inside Vancouver Island can not be beat.

Second:

Do not dismiss HAL. their magradome /pool set ups for inclement weather is great for bad weather traveling. Esp. for kids. That being said the pool is usually restricted indoors for kids but there are times when it is available. This happens more frequently in Alaska... oh... Take strollers that pushes easy. Those 11 month old's will get a lot of attention. Esp. when dad is taking his turn ‼️

The so called age issue on HAL is not as great as everyone lets on especially on a 7 day Alaska cruise in the summer. Teens are also seen with family more and more. Not an issue in my mind.

The Infinity (Celebrity) is also a great ship for family. They have an indoor T pool(like a big hot tub) that will have specific hours for kids as it is restricted to over certain ages. Hot tubs out on the pool deck and one of their outdoor pools is heated these days I believe.

Both ships will have a kids program. ( Not for the babies.)

Been a few times.....

my above recommendations aside. The Solstice another Celebrity ship out of Seattle is more updated larger ship that you all will enjoy.

Thank you for your thoughts, they are very helpful!!

Alaska cruises tend to be family affairs (not unlike your scenario) on all of the lines.

Also some seniors are spry, while some pre-teen/teens are sullen & withdrawn (aka won't join in) so it is unfair to judge based on the demographics that you assume will be on the cruise line.

Choose based on what you know.

For us:

What is the itinerary (i.e. 7-day R/T leaves Vancouver visits Glacier Bay),

what is the size of the ship (small compared to RCCL/NCL/Carnival/Princess), what are the amenities (kids club, covered pool area, crows nest),

etc. (Explore 4 package)

Next cruise - 14-night AK cruise in July incl. Explore 4 for less than other cruise lines charge for 7-night cruise (We are ok with inside cabins, I'd rather spend the difference for a balcony on excursions.)

I'm sure there are many spry seniors and sullen kids, my comment is more in regards to seeking a demographic more around our ages and wanting other kids for my daughter (who is actually quite the opposite of sullen and withdrawn) as the friendships she has made on her other cruises are very much a highlight for her.

We are also the same with inside cabins- would also rather spend the difference elsewhere

Club HAL has a good reputation for kids' programs and does help attract kids to their cruises - especially sailings during summer when school is out.

Princess and HAL sort of have the lock on Glacier Bay itineraries.

As noted the sailings out of Seattle travel "outside" Vancouver Is. so there can be a little more ship motion than the Inside route from Vancouver. You also have a sea day outside the island so not a lot to see. Sailing from Vancouver is more scenic but Puget Sound and the Strait at sunset are scenic too. For use we couldn't resist the chance to wave a home as we cruise by.

Yes, the dome thing on HAL ships is nice - making the pool much more available than fully outdoor pools.

Assuming school holiday sets the parameters on timing for the 13 yo for weather I would opt for August which is typically the driest time of year on the wet side of the mountains for Seattle and Vancouver. Farther north that does not always hold up and May can be drier up there but also much cooler.

Since you want glaciers then any itinerary that has both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm would be a good choice.

Thanks for your thoughts!

We took 3 grandkids to Alaska on HAL Volendam. The kids loved Club HAL, they were 11, 13 and 15 and had lots of activities. HAL has smaller ships and therefore fewer passengers overall but the kids had lots of attention and made friends easily. The crew really took to them too.

About the HAL pools: Our kids loved the pool, maybe the best part of the trip for them. Most HAL ships have 2 pools, both fresh water; the midship pool has the retractable roof so the kids could swim no matter the weather. Kids mostly use the midship pool. It is the aft pool that is restricted to "Children under 16 must be supervised by and adult".

If I count you people going it seems it's 6, right - 2 couples 3 children and one grandparent? Will one couple want a room for 4, one couple a room for 3 and the grandparent a single? Not sure how you will divide up but you can make your reservations according to what has to be done (room limits considered) and can rearrange once on board. We once went with another couple but we had cheaper fares due to past passenger rates, so we split up the reservations - 2 ladies, 2 men - but once on board asked for our room keys to be changed and our accounts to be by couple, no problem.

I'd recommend going out of Vancouver for ease of travel to port plus Inside Passage and less potential for sea sickness. And bring Sea Bands wrist bands for rough water issues, no drugs.

Try for an itinerary with as many options for glacier viewing as possible so if the weather is poor in one place you'll have another chance.

I'd recommend walking into town and visiting the free US National Parks Service Exhibit in Skagway - our kids enjoyed it. It focuses on the Klondike gold rush. The Mendenhall Glacier also has a US National Parks Service visitors center but there is nominal fee - buy a USNPS annual pass which will allow the whole family to enter together if it's a cheaper price for you all (not sure about the relations rules but you can check online at USNPS). You can get there on your own either by a rental car (some hassle) or by the inexpensive school bus just off the pier - all much cheaper than an excursion, and the school bus method can be decided last minute depending on weather etc. You can view the picturesque glacier and lake and learn about the wildlife etc as well as glaciers in general, but very difficult to walk out to the glacier.

We've been in early June - very warm in Ketchikan, cold in Juneau but magnificent in Glacier Bay! Went in September and had mostly good weather with some drizzle here and there.

Have a great trip! m--

I'm sure there are many spry seniors and sullen kids, my comment is more in regards to seeking a demographic more around our ages and wanting other kids for my daughter (who is actually quite the opposite of sullen and withdrawn) as the friendships she has made on her other cruises are very much a highlight for her.

We are also the same with inside cabins- would also rather spend the difference elsewhere

There's always the Disney Wonder round trip from Vancouver. Lots of kids! :D

I've the Wonder is going to do 7 day cruise northbound and southbound next year or in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Wonder is doing only round trip cruises in 2017. Their 2018 cruises haven't been released yet, but I would be surprised if they offered one-way cruises.

I've the Wonder is going to do 7 day cruise northbound and southbound next year or in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I doubt it - they have only done roundtrips. They would need to invest infrastructure for land trips if they wanted to do the one ways, I would think.

• 2 months later...