Cane Garden Bay or Brewer's Bay Beach?

Feelin' Nauti'

These are the two most popular beaches on Tortola for day visitors, CGB gets very busy while Brewers is a bit quieter. Taxi fare is $8pp each way to either beach.

Would you be interested in another option? If so Long Bay (West End) is a nice long picture postcard beach with a restaurant and $5 lounges. And Marina Cay is a different spot, taxi to Trellis Bay and take a short ferry to Marina Cay. You'll find Pusser's Pub there as well as a nice, quaint beach and beach bar. Also great snorkeling, and you'll see boats coming in for lunch, etc. A nice departure from the more crowded spots...

These are the two most popular beaches on Tortola for day visitors, CGB gets very busy while Brewers is a bit quieter. Taxi fare is $8pp each way to either beach.

Would you be interested in another option? If so Long Bay (West End) is a nice long picture postcard beach with a restaurant and $5 lounges. And Marina Cay is a different spot, taxi to Trellis Bay and take a short ferry to Marina Cay. You'll find Pusser's Pub there as well as a nice, quaint beach and beach bar. Also great snorkeling, and you'll see boats coming in for lunch, etc. A nice departure from the more crowded spots...

Thanks for your suggestion

Will check it out.

Has anyone been to Cane Garden Bay or Brewer's Bay beach lately?

Which would you prefer?

Taxi fare?

Do they rent beach chairs / umbrellas? If so How much?

Any info would be appreciated.

I can't decide which one to go to.

We were at Cane Garden Bay last week. Never been to Brewer's so I can't compare. The safari taxis are $8 per person each way. It is an adventure ride up and over the mountain/hill.

When you get to the beach, if you turn left chairs and umbrellas were $5 each, but there is shade if you'd rather have a tree above than umbrella. If you turn right, people said those were $8 each to rent.

There are people walking around to take orders and bring you what you want, or you can walk up. There are several bars/stands/restaurants along the beach that are easy to walk to. Drink prices ran $3+, beers were 3 or 4 for $15 range, food was about $8-12 for a lunch plate.

We enjoyed it. Go early as it starts to fill up as the day goes on.

We were at Cane Garden Bay last week. Never been to Brewer's so I can't compare. The safari taxis are $8 per person each way. It is an adventure ride up and over the mountain/hill.

When you get to the beach, if you turn left chairs and umbrellas were $5 each, but there is shade if you'd rather have a tree above than umbrella. If you turn right, people said those were $8 each to rent.

There are people walking around to take orders and bring you what you want, or you can walk up. There are several bars/stands/restaurants along the beach that are easy to walk to. Drink prices ran $3+, beers were 3 or 4 for $15 range, food was about $8-12 for a lunch plate.

We enjoyed it. Go early as it starts to fill up as the day goes on.

Thanks for the info

How did you like Cane Garden Bay?

Did it have nice views?

Crowded?

Thanks for the info

How did you like Cane Garden Bay?

Did it have nice views?

Crowded?

CGB is a nice beach and a larger bay and you can see Jost and STJ from there, but it does get very crowded when a ship is in port. It is home to several beach bars/restaurants, and safari taxis deliver loads of your fellow day visitors and line up later to return everyone to the port. If you want a busier vibe with different food and drink options, water toys, and the oldest continually operating rum distillery in the Carib CGB is it. Most folks find Myett's is a nice spot with good drink and lounge/umbrella deals, that's the restaurant/beach bar the taxis drop off at.

CGB is a nice beach and a larger bay and you can see Jost and STJ from there, but it does get very crowded when a ship is in port. It is home to several beach bars/restaurants, and safari taxis deliver loads of your fellow day visitors and line up later to return everyone to the port. If you want a busier vibe with different food and drink options, water toys, and the oldest continually operating rum distillery in the Carib CGB is it. Most folks find Myett's is a nice spot with good drink and lounge/umbrella deals, that's the restaurant/beach bar the taxis drop off at.

Thanks for the info.

We're not "Beach Bar" people.

We enjoying lounging and snorkeling on a beach.

Thanks for the info.

We're not "Beach Bar" people.

We enjoying lounging and snorkeling on a beach.

Then Marina Cay or Brewers Bay would be good options, MC is a nice spot to get away from the world yet still have all the amenities. We've not snorkeled there but I've read it is very good there.

I've been chartering sailboats in the BVI's since the early eighties My opinion only, but i would definitely avoid Cane Garden Bay Granted, it is a beautiful place, but on cruise ship port days it is an overcrowded zoo.

Marina Cay (pronounced "Marina Key") is really nice, with a small beach and a Pusser's restaurant with a great view and fairly good food and drinks. There is a small beach but it is not known for snorkeling. You would have to investigate how to get there since Marina Key is an island. Be sure to climb to the top of the island and see the Rob White house. I believe that there is a free?? shuttle from Trellis Bay right by the Airport and an easy walk. Trellis is also nice with several unique shops. Check out the taxi fares since they can be exorbitant to get there from Roadtown.

Jost Van Dyke would be my choice The problem is getting there. If the cruise line offers an excursion that might be the way to go since it is another island. The primary destination would be White Bay. As mentioned before, it can get somewhat crowded, but never in an oppressive way. The beach is absolutely beautiful and there is snorkeling to the left of the beach as you face it from the water. The Soggy Dollar Bar is a great place for lunch and drinks (Webcam http://www.soggydollar.com/webcam). Just down the beach is the One Love Bar that is a great island experience. If you have the time you could also take a taxi over to Great Harbour and Check out Foxy's Bar. Just watch your time! BTW during the day these Bars are very family friendly not wild at all.

If all else fails there is always the Baths. Either take a cruise excursion or there are other daysail boats that will get you there and back. Google Baths daysail.

I have not been to Brewers but have heard it is nice. If you want to totally get off of the beaten path there are some nice beaches on the northern shore of Tortola. Once again google is your friend and watch the taxi charges.

A great source of non-commercial Tortola information can be found by using Google for the TravelTalkOnline forum that has a BVI section

Enjoy!

Yes Jost isn't as oppressively crowded on weekdays as it is on weekends, but White Bay is more a singles or couples beach bar scene than a family-friendly beach, at least in our opinion. It has become much more popular for day visitors since we first went there and is a fun spot if looking for that type of vibe, especially around the Soggy $. You can watch on the webcam as it gets more crowded throughout the day with boats stopping in from other islands including excursions from STT and STJ. We like Seddy's One Love, Seddy is Foxy Callwood's son and if there he will perform card and magic tricks for you. Ivan's is also worth checking out.

On a cruise stop in Road Town Jost is more of a challenge to get to and you have three options (other than the cruise ship excursion which I would recommend on a shorter port day especially). If going on your own you would taxi to West End, ferry to Great Harbor, and taxi over to White Bay if you want to go to that beach. We enjoy spending some time at Foxy's in GB as well. Total transportation is $60pp - $73pp depending on the number of ppl.

You can also taxi to CGB and hire a water taxi and be delivered to White Bay and picked up in GH if you want. That is a more expensive option, and you would need to contact Julian or another operator ahead of time.

And there are private excursions that are even more pricey like Mitch where the boat is yours for the day. With enough time in port you could hit Jost, Sandy Spit, and the B Line on Little Jost, for example, or White Bay and then the Willie T perhaps.

With a few couples splitting the cost these can be great options. You'll find contact info on this forum by using the search tool or by googling.

I recommended Marina Cay as an option on a cruise stop because it is easy to get to via taxi and with the free ferry, and is a nice spot to relax away from the main crowds. The Aragorn pottery shop, Cyber Cafe for a fish sandwich, and De Loose Mongoose for a drink if open are great spots in Trellis Bay if you don't go on to Marina Cay. You can also stop to see beautiful Long Bay (Beef Island) on the drive back to the port. I'm told the reef off MC offers superb snorkeling but we have not tried it yet. The romantic history of the Robb White House from 8 decades ago is quite interesting and there is a book we have not yet read.

We've also found BVI forum on TTOL very useful over the years, and I've recommended it here and on TA. Not as good a resource for day visitors as it is for folks sailing or staying in the islands IMHO. But a great source of information for everything BVI, and Carol and Eric do a great job.

So for a day visitor the more popular destinations like CGB, Brewers, the Baths, and White Bay will see more day visitors. Marina Cay and Long Bay (West End) are just two alternatives that offer amenities but are less crowded options. Other beaches east of Brewers like Josiah's Bay are also options, especially if interested in surfing.

Edited by blue_water

I'm considering a cruise ship excursion to Jost Van Dyke. I've seen the web cam in front of Soggy $. How about the rest of the beach? Is there space to get away from crowds if I walk a bit? Are there other sights to see within walking distance of White Bay Beach?

I'm considering a cruise ship excursion to Jost Van Dyke. I've seen the web cam in front of Soggy $. How about the rest of the beach? Is there space to get away from crowds if I walk a bit? Are there other sights to see within walking distance of White Bay Beach?

Looks like you are in port for 9 hrs so that is a good option and will be a popular one. We haven't been to White Bay in awhile and I can't remember walking anywhere except to the other beach bars in the bay like Ivan's, Heidi's, Seddy's and the store. But yes you can walk to another section of the beach and enjoy a quieter spot. If time permits I would also taxi over to Great Harbor and see if Foxy is performing.

Agree about the taxi to see Foxy! Nice scenic ride over to Great harbour anyway

But you can walk to your left from in front of the One Love and find some quiet on the west end of the beach at White Bay. You can also snorkel off the beach there and it is much more interesting than the reef in front of the beach bars

I am convinced! This is where I want to go for my day at Tortola. Now to get my husband to agree . . .

http://www.b-v-i.com/JostVanDyke/

Heading east from the Soggy $ you'll see Gertrude's, a great spot for lunch.

Heading back to the west beyond Soggy $ you will find the One Love Bar and hopefully Seddy is there. If so I highly recommend spending time here as his magic tricks really are amazing. You can then walk a short way to a quiet spot to enjoy his excellent Bushwacker in peace with a gorgeous view of Tortola!

If you stay to the east of Gertrude's you'll find Ivan's Stress Free Bar, another fun spot to land.

Enjoy!

[EDIT] Entry into the water is a bit steep so just something to be aware of. :)

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...
We decided to go to Cane Garden Bay

So glad we did!

The taxi was an adventure in it self. :eek:

[ATTACH]400093[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]400094[/ATTACH]

Glad you enjoyed your day at CGB and the water was calm that day for you. Did you experience any of the restaurants?