Vertical Gastric Sleeve 2 weeks before cruise?

shaq&cocoa

• 1 month later...

Hope your surgery went well! I will be in this same situation soon (surgery - 1/17; cruise - Feb 3 - 10) so I very interested to see how it goes for you!

Just take it slow and try to resist! Hopefully you have had to do journaling and pre-op diets so you know how to portion things and maintain a diet. Be religious about washing your hands and resting so you don't get sick. I think it is very doable and I am excited for you! :)

I cruised 7 weeks after sleeve surgery and had no problems at all. My doctor said a cruise ship was a great place to be because all around you was protein, protein, protein which is mainly what you eat for months to come. He even allowed me to have an occasional ONE glass of wine in the evening.

Only problem was that our waiter thought I disliked everything I ordered because I ate so little. This is still an issue on recent cruises 6 months after surgery.

Anyone have any experience with cruising only 2 weeks post gastric sleeve?

I know my diet will be very limited. I am wondering if they will have greek yogurt on board. I thought my surgery would be in November and I ended up with a Dec 31st date and a cruise that I cannot cancel for Jan 15th. :eek:

I would appreciate any advice on bringing item on the ship like yogurt and protein shakes.

So how did the surgery go?? How do you feel?

Btw, I found obesityhelp to be an AMAZING pre and post-op support site. I lost interest about a year out, but it was awesome when I needed it :). I'm almost 6 yrs out with the sleeve, 15 lbs under my Drs goal, in the normal BMI range, and still love my sleeve :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lol- not eating a lot and offending waiter is still an issue 6 years after surgery :-0

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Even having a post weight watchers appetite hurts their feelings.

Had a heck of a time on Adventure recently with them bringing plate after plate of special-made vegetarian food to us despite us being in obvious distress at how full we already were and the fact that we would not be able to touch the food.

Even my 12 year old boy was bursting. And they were still bringing food. And were disappointed when we didn't order dessert.

Mystifying.

Even having a post weight watchers appetite hurts their feelings.

Had a heck of a time on Adventure recently with them bringing plate after plate of special-made vegetarian food to us despite us being in obvious distress at how full we already were and the fact that we would not be able to touch the food.

Even my 12 year old boy was bursting. And they were still bringing food. And were disappointed when we didn't order dessert.

Mystifying.

Diet + exercise baby

Good Morning All :D

My surgery was actually moved to December 21st and I feel amazing! I am progressing with soft foods and back to the gym already. I am glad that the date got moved to get me a little more time before the cruise so that it will be easier to find things to eat. At 2 weeks out, cottage cheese, yogurt and protein shakes are the easiest, but I have started trying new things. Turkey meatball, chicken salad, egg salad...etc. I am confident that I will be able to enjoy my cruise with no problem, other than offending the servers LOL

Thank you all ;)

Hope your surgery went well! I will be in this same situation soon (surgery - 1/17; cruise - Feb 3 - 10) so I very interested to see how it goes for you!

Just take it slow and try to resist! Hopefully you have had to do journaling and pre-op diets so you know how to portion things and maintain a diet. Be religious about washing your hands and resting so you don't get sick. I think it is very doable and I am excited for you! :)

Thank you...I am excited for you! This is an amazing journey I am on. I cannot believe the changes in my body in 2 weeks. Let's just start with the snoring that went away the day after surgery...unreal. I am running on a treadmill and I feel WAY better than I did before the surgery and it has only been 2 weeks.

Just listen to your doctor, mine said get back to your life as quickly as possible and that has worked for me.

I do use MyFitnessPal to track all my food. I eat about 4 oz at a time, it is strange how little that really is when compared to my old lifestyle.

In my opinion the cruise is totally doable and a great reward for the MAJOR changes I have made.

Good luck to you :)

This is an amazing journey I am on. I cannot believe the changes in my body in 2 weeks. Let's just start with the snoring that went away the day after surgery...unreal. I am running on a treadmill and I feel WAY better than I did before the surgery and it has only been 2 weeks.

That is GREAT news! I am really happy for you! Keep up the hard work and positive attitude. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your cruise. :)