Oosterdam aft cabins

Traveler1524

This will be our first trip on HAL. We have an upper veranda aft cabin #VD6144. I have read some criticism of cabin noise and vibration and debris on the balcony. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in aft-wrap 5190 in January and had no issues, and that was before a major dry dock visit this spring.

Although I have never been in an Oosterdam aft balcony, I always try to get an aft balcony - they are our favorite. I have never had a noise issue there. Yes you hear the wake, but it is a steady sound and not very loud. Sounds a little like being near a rapid river. We find it soothing. It is the sudden infrequent noises we find disturbing. In fact, the sound of the wake can cover up some other noises.

I have heard of soot (from the stacks) dropping on the aft balconies on some ships, but we have never experienced that.

We like the aft balconies because you can see the view on both sides of the ship. Also, depending on the ship and location of the cabin, the balcony is usually larger.

6144 is a port side cabin near the rear of the ship but is not an aft balcony. Noise should not be an issue as it is between two other passenger decks. Cannot speak to the OP's soot question but I doubt its a problem.

Thanks Zookie, I didn't look up the cabin.

To the OP, the terminology used here on CC is that Aft cabins are the ones on the very back of the ship that look behind the ship. I have been in a cabin on the Oosterdam very close to where you will be, also on deck 6. There are no noise or soot issues there. I don't really see much difference among any of the verandah cabins on the side of the ship. For people who worry about sea sickness, there is an advantage to being in the middle of the ship. We don't get sea sick, so all the side cabins are all the same to us.

Thanks Zookie, I didn't look up the cabin.

To the OP, the terminology used here on CC is that Aft cabins are the ones on the very back of the ship that look behind the ship. I have been in a cabin on the Oosterdam very close to where you will be, also on deck 6. There are no noise or soot issues there. I don't really see much difference among any of the verandah cabins on the side of the ship. For people who worry about sea sickness, there is an advantage to being in the middle of the ship. We don't get sea sick, so all the side cabins are all the same to us.

Not to upset the apple cart and years of referencing but technically those should be stern or aft-facing cabins. Using Forward, Mid-Ship, and Aft the OP is correct.

Last week while attending a Q&A with the captain on the Westerdam a passenger questioned two loud bangs in the middle of the night. The captain explained it as cavitation.

Not to upset the apple cart and years of referencing but technically those should be stern or aft-facing cabins. Using Forward, Mid-Ship, and Aft the OP is correct.

Last week while attending a Q&A with the captain on the Westerdam a passenger questioned two loud bangs in the middle of the night. The captain explained it as cavitation.

Yes, you are correct. Aft is a direction, not a place. If you are on the bow of a ship the rest of the ship is aft of you. The cabins facing behind the ship should be called stern cabins.

However, the common term here on CC for "stern cabins," as I said, is aft cabins. So whether the term is correct or not, if someone refers to an aft cabin, most people here will think they are talking about those cabins on the back of a ship, not near the back.