Insurance for Canadians

Hello,

For you Canadians out there, I am wondering what companies that you have had luck with in getting travel medical insurance for seniors? My dad is 76 and has had his share of health problems over the years. That being said, he has been stable for the last 6 months, which I know is important when getting insurance. Some insurance seems so expensive! So, I want to rely on the recommendations of the fine people from Canada who are on Cruise Critic. Please help. Thanks in advance.

I buy yearly travel insurance from my bank(TD Canada Trust) which includes trip cancelation and interruption ( not for any reason cancel just regular cancel for covered reasons ) it's the best and cheapest I've found since our family of 4 travels multiple times a year. I'm taking my parents in Feb who have previous medical conditions but had to buy at booking to cover the previous conditions. It's still much higher for over 55 than under. Like 4x as much but still my bank was the cheapest quote. If you don't buy at time of booking it goes up even more. So try their bank, and at time of booking for lowest rates on pre existing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the pointers! I will look into the companies mentioned. My dad has twice had to make a claim (once he was admitted from a cruise ship to a Florida hospital for a heart attack and had angioplasty done, and another time he had kidney stones), so I am thinking the two insurance companies he used before would likely turn him down, but I guess we can try them too.

I would strongly suggest looking into a policy the cruise line offers (the cost is usually based on the cruise fare)! Details are usually near the back of the cruise line brochures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be sure to read the fine print

There are some insurance policies offered by the cruise lines that exclude Canadians

Last year a few weeks before our cruise I was notified the insurance we had purchased was no longer insuring Canadians

No time to get new cancellation ins just kept fingers crossed we did not have any problems before the trip