Post final payment success!

OceanMonarch

I thought I would pass on a recent, very positive experience using CFAR (cancel for any reason) travel insurance. I purchased the policy initially so that I had the ability to cancel the vacation in case the company that I work for was unable to grant my vacation request.

However, I used the policy when the price of my Caribbean holiday cruise dropped substantially post final payment. This was during the loss of deposit time period (89 -57 days prior to departure) and is typically the time when there is often a combination of low prices but with good cabin availability. I was able to rebook the cruise at the new lower price and by using the insurance, forfeited just 25% of the original deposit ($111). Even with the cost of the policy ($95.00) I was still able to save over $400pp, receive even more OBC and rebook my original 1A largest balcony cabin.

This was somewhat of an 'experiment' on my part not knowing 100% if this would actually pay off (insurance companies will always try to find 'a way out of paying') but I was pleasantly surprised . The insurance company was extremely professional, responsive to all my e-mails and I received my check (not cruise credits)within 10 business days as promised. Celebrity of course refunded their portion of my original payment (less the deposit) within 3 days.

Would I do this again? Certainly, but I would need to save at least $100.00pp on top of my expenses. CFAR insurance really did live up to its name!:)

Is this the insurance offered by Celebrity? Thanks so much for sharing! Congratulations on the large savings, WOW! The Thanksgiving/Christmas cruise prices are incredible this year. Happy Sailing!

Marie

Edited by FlorenceItaly

Is this the insurance offered by Celebrity? Thanks so much for sharing! Congratulations on the large savings, WOW! The Thanksgiving/Christmas cruise prices are incredible this year. Happy Sailing!

Marie

I used a regular travel insurance company in the US. I believe Celebrity offer something similar to CFAR insurance but they give you a cruise credit instead of cash. Not 100% sure, perhaps somebody could offer some personal experience here.:)

I used a regular travel insurance company in the US. I believe Celebrity offer something similar to CFAR insurance but they give you a cruise credit instead of cash. Not 100% sure, perhaps somebody could offer some personal experience here.:)

Now that you mention it, it is cruise credit. I should have known that, and in turn know it was not Celebrity insurance. Thanks again!

Marie

Now that you mention it, it is cruise credit. I should have known that, and in turn know it was not Celebrity insurance. Thanks again!

Marie

$95 seems quite low for A CFAR policy. Usually CFAR is at least that much on top of a standard policy. Could you elaborate on the policy you purchased? Thanks.

$95 seems quite low for A CFAR policy. Usually CFAR is at least that much on top of a standard policy. Could you elaborate on the policy you purchased? Thanks.

I am not sure how much information I am allowed to give here with regards to insurance company name etc. but it was their 'luxury policy.'

I 'googled' CFAR policy and found a company (look for a shape and a facial body part, sounds strange I know) that gives information on a variety of insurance companies). I entered our personal information, *cost of the cruise and travel dates; the search delivered quite a few insurance companies that had good priced quotes. I had several to choose from and did not select the cheapest option. Hope this helps.

* only non -refundable costs I was told. This means you do not have to include port fees because they are always refundable in full by the cruise line. However, for safety please always verify this information yourself. I tend to ask for any additional information I need by 'chat' or e. mail and print out the conversation so that it is documented.