Southampton Pier to London Gatwick airport?

Ox Fan Cruiser

Currently, weekday and Saturdays, there is an hourly direct train from Southampton leaving at 16 mins past the hour arriving just under 2 hours later ( e.g. 10:16 in the morning arriving at London Gatwick at 12:06). Lots of other train options to Gatwick - all about 2 hours but others involve changing trains.

Travelling on a Sunday would take longer and involve a change and more risky re dreaded rail replacement services

Booking in advance fares are currently as low as £8.50 each or about £15 on the day each. If you book an advance ticket you must travel on the train you specfy.

Rail bookings are not released until 3 months before travel date

Edited by DYKWIA

Currently, weekday and Saturdays, there is an hourly direct train from Southampton leaving at 16 mins past the hour arriving just under 2 hours later ( e.g. 10:16 in the morning arriving at London Gatwick at 12:06). Lots of other train options to Gatwick - all about 2 hours but others involve changing trains.

Travelling on a Sunday would take longer and involve a change and more risky re dreaded rail replacement services

Booking in advance fares are currently as low as £8.50 each or about £15 on the day each. If you book an advance ticket you must travel on the train you specfy.

Rail bookings are not released until 3 months before travel date

having never been to England before and not a train user here in America I'd shy away from using the rails for now. Too many "don't knows" for me to feel comfortable... also it being the same day, too much to lose.

Take a look at National Express bus. We have used it 3 or 4 times but only once from Southampton and it was great. The other times we took it from London to Southampton. You would need to take a taxi from the pier to the coach station in Southampton but that doesn't cost a lot. I think the fare might be about £23/pp depending on the day and time.

having never been to England before and not a train user here in America I'd shy away from using the rails for now. Too many "don't knows" for me to feel comfortable... also it being the same day, too much to lose.

It's a routine journey with lots of time to spare. I would have no hesitation taking that trip to get from Southampton to Gatwick same day at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take a look at National Express bus. We have used it 3 or 4 times but only once from Southampton and it was great. The other times we took it from London to Southampton. You would need to take a taxi from the pier to the coach station in Southampton but that doesn't cost a lot. I think the fare might be about £23/pp depending on the day and time.

I will check this out as well.

Thanks.

We sail on a Transatlantic on the Eclipse in April. How should I get to the airport for a late afternoon flight back home? I don't want to spend too much but I want a safe & reliable ride at the same time. What are the going rates?

Check out the Roll Call on Cruise Critic for your cruise. I am sure many folks are organizing

private vans for a group at a reduced price which will be less than doing it alone. Also check out taking the train to Gatwick from Southampton.

I have used the train from Southampton to Gatwick airport at least twice and once in the opposite direction. Very good service, inexpensive, just a long wait to buy tix once in Southampton. Only 1 wicket open for some reason. Believe it was a weekend. Tix machines available too, but best to consult staff if you're unsure.