Internet speed on Jade

johnandlinda

We were also on the TA. The service was generally slow, but acceptable for our purposes, even for Skype voice calls. Sorry I don't have any numbers to quantify the speed, lag time, etc.

My problem was that I often got kicked off and had to log back in again (especially at the beginning of a session), but if you allow automatic login on your browser, this is relatively painless.

We were also on the TA, and I had unlimited Internet (because of work), and I thought it was pretty fast - once we were out at sea.

Used it for surfing, facebook, games, as well as logging into my workstation (via Citrix). The citrix part was fairly slow but I was able to log in and see the emails, etc. Not too bad especially from the sea.

Normally we do not use internet on cruises but this was the first time so I was pleased it wasn't slow as other people reported. I used the internet mainly in the cabin (with laptop). I took my iPad out in public areas and found it slow, so I would say it's fast when using it in the cabin.

The internet in hotels in Venice and Barcelona was much slower!

Edited by bluesea777

Just got off a transatlantic last week and the internet speed was very slow during the day! If you are willing to use it early in the morning or late at night it was much faster.

I was also on the Jade transatlantic and used the internet each day for email. I was pleased with the speed, quicker than other ships I've been on. Only once did I find it slow. I usually used it about 9am. We had an inside cabin, so I used my ipad in public areas only, usually in La Cucina or in the atrium.

Edited by NMLady

We were in the front suites last June and the internet was unusable. Used up our 250 minutes just trying to read and reply to emails alone.

I did a speed test and were were getting less than 1mbps.

I certainly wouldn't buy a package.

We were in the front suites last June and the internet was unusable. Used up our 250 minutes just trying to read and reply to emails alone.

Since it didn't work in your suite did you try in any of the public areas or in the internet section?

That was in June ... NCL revamped and improved the Internet amongst the fleet starting July onward.

Edited by bluesea777

Just off the Jade transatlantic and service was sporadic but usable. I got booted several times and had to re login. But at least I was able to get email and read my favorite websites. I was also able to send pictures via email and video chat with our grandchildren via Messenger so guess the service wasn't that bad. Just remember it's not like your wifi at home and you'll do fine.

That was in June ... NCL revamped and improved the Internet amongst the fleet starting July onward.

I'm surprised Stoneman56 had so much trouble in June. Must have been the location of the cabin. We were on the Jade in April for b2b Western Caribbean and transatlantic. Had unlimited plan for Western Caribbean and a 250 minute package for transatlantic. I knew connection would be bad or non-existent in our inside cabin so I always used it in a public area such as La Cucina, library, or Spinnaker. I had very little trouble connecting and staying on, using ipad.

Slow, but not so slow as to be wasteful.

Since it didn't work in your suite did you try in any of the public areas or in the internet section?

No I didn't. The idea was to do my work while in the cabin relaxing without distraction, not while out in public areas.

I would have thought that suite pax are usually located at the furthest parts of the ship and paying the most money that NCL would have installed boosters at these points.

Glad to hear that there has been improvement though

On smaller NCL ships, there are fewer pax and demand for satellite-based broadband should be less ... as long as it's a reasonable connection, speed, latency & configurations optimized for the cache server, etc.

Your hardware (common 2.4 GHz only vs. dual mode with 5 GHz band) and browsers (certain OS better optimized with data saver & compression) - can also make a difference, as long as the network infrastructure aren't max'ed out and thus congested - as this is a shared portal, like your cable broadband with the junction box around the corner, etc. - excessive demands will overload & crash it.

I ran a few diagnostic benchmark and found the upload speed to be far better than the download - hopefully, NCL's outsourced vendor will continue to upgrade & enhance the product onboard the ships.

As for coverage inside the ship, should be bow to stern as when i "scan" it for signals, it was solid with overlapping coverage on Ch. 1, 6 and 11 for the lower 2.4 GHz band, and similarly on 5 GHz. Being used to 75 to 125+ Mbps speed and as high as 175 to 200 Mbps speed, ship's broadband speed would seem slow even when I'm connected at the typical US hotel's WiFi, often barely hitting 1 Mbps.