Thinking of Alaska...any wheelchair user done this?

Have been asked to join friends on the May cruise from Vancover to Alaska. I checked the port trips and none seemed doable for a wheel chair user. Has anyone taken this cruise and were able to book tours? I'd hate to get there and not get off the ship and see the beauty of the state. Anyone have info?

I dont have any first hand knowledge of this but I do know some friends who did Alaska and wife was in a chair.

They had no problems and really enjoyed themselves and would do it again in a heartbeat.

One thing I know for a fact is that, if you need it, you can book the handicapped room, in your category, if it is availiable, that is designed for people with special needs.

All you need to do is submit information that details your needs after you book and request the handicapped room.

In re shore excursions, again, talk to TA or RCL rep to work all this out. If you are a person with special needs I have 100% faith that RCL will do what they can to accomodate you!

I am sure that TA or RCL rep can inform you more.

In any case be sure to GO FOR IT!

Thanks Sass. I just got overwhelmed when I read the port trips. All of them seemed too active for my guy. I'm a little girl, can't push that chAIR FOR long. He uses a scooter on the ship. Don't want to get there and be confined to ship.

I'll take your advise an speak to a staff person before I book. Am scheduled to cruise on NCL Dawn 1/2/06 and am familiar with the eastern carribean ports. Haven't given up travel yet, still spunky............just cautious,:)

Thank you for raising an important question and issue on these boards. I'm sorry I don't have specific answers to your question, but I can tell you how pleased we were when we took our 87 year old church friend on Voyager. The check-in staff were terrific and went the extra mile to obtain a last minute handicapped cabin. We had no problem with the wheelchair onboard except for corridors sometimes being blocked by cleaning equipment, etc.. The staff were absolutely terrific! Hope it works out for you!!!

In July of 2003 a group of nine of us cruised Alaska and one of our party was in an electric wheelchair. RC was very good at getting us checked in early (our entire party). The ship was very accessible for my BIL (the one in the chair). They had one of the wheelchair accessible rooms on deck 7 and it was very roomy and had a great balcony. Our first port was Juneau and it was a tender port. My BIL was not able to do this port because of the tendering. We were told they could not tender the electric chair. (We did know this would be a possibility before the cruise.) If he could have been put into a manual chair, they would have been able to accomodate him. He and a few others of our party stayed on board and enjoyed the views and other activities that were offered while we were in port. Our next stop was Skagway and we were docked there. We all did the White Pass Mountain Railway excursion. They had a special train car for wheelchair passengers and at least one of their party. The rest of our group was in the car right in front of them and we could see (thru open doorways) and talk to them. The next port was Ketchikan and it was docked also. Again, eveyone was able to get off the ship and we spent the day enjoying the town. In conclusion, my BIL was very happy that he went and didn't feel that he was deprived of anything. The staff of RC were all especially good to him and his wife and our entire party. He will definitely cruise RC again. I hope this has helped somewhat in answering some of your questions. Feel free to ask if you have any more inquiries. I will gladly help if I can. Happy Cruising!

We had a similar experience on the Railway excursion, except we were able to sit with our travelling companion during the excursion. I would definitely talk to someone from RCCL who knows specifics about all the excursions. We'd go again in a heartbeat!

Archived