Cancel One or No Show

scuddles

Well I never thought I would be one to post on this topic but it looks as if we will have a no show in my DD cabin. She is fine with it but I have a few questions.

First of all DD is 19, and we have her and a friend booked across the hall from us. Friend is no longer going. She paid just her room rate, DH and I paid port charges, grats, insurance and one excursion.

I removed the excursion, will this be credited back to me? Should I remove the insurance? I wasn't sure if it would affect my daughters insurance.

I know I cant remove the grats if she is going to be a no show but will they refund us those at the end of the cruise?

Is it best for her to be a no show, we are 55 days out, or if I make DD a single will they refund back to my card since I made all the payments?

Side note, there is also a $100 OBC pp. Not too concerned but how is that affected.

Now the big ? Will this be an issue with CC? Being that she will be in her cabin alone? She is fine with it.

I know there can be multiple scenarios to this situation and I guess any and all advice would be good so we can make some choices. Not a big fan of calling CC because of the lack of confidence/info I usually get when calling.

Edited by scuddles

The excursion will be refunded...if you cancel BEFORE you board, it will go to the means of payment you used to book. If you cancel on the ship, it will be a credit toward your account.

If you are past the final payment date, there is no refund for the person who cancelled...therefore, I'd just have her be a no-show...and that's the end of it. The cabin is paid for...so no adjustments will be needed. If tips were pre-paid, they will be refunded. If they haven't been prepaid, they won't charge for the person who isn't there.

Well I never thought I would be one to post on this topic but it looks as if we will have a no show in my DD cabin. She is fine with it but I have a few questions. .....

First of all DD is 19, and we have her and a friend booked across the hall from us. Friend is no longer going. She paid just her room rate, DH and I paid port charges, grats, insurance and one excursion.

My answers are going to be based on the friend being a no-show.

I removed the excursion, will this be credited back to me? Should I remove the insurance? I wasn't sure if it would affect my daughters insurance.

The excursion will be credited back to you in 7-10 days. If the insurance has been in place for more than 10 days it is not refundable. It will not affect your daughters insurance

I know I cant remove the grats if she is going to be a no show but will they refund us those at the end of the cruise?

The grats and the Government Fees and Taxes will be refunded to you after the cruise.

Is it best for her to be a no show, we are 55 days out, or if I make DD a single will they refund back to my card since I made all the payments?

It's best for you and less complicated for you for the friend to be a no-show provided she is OK with getting none of her cruise fare back.

Technically, at 55 days out, the friend's cruise fare is 50% refundable. If you go this route, you will have to reprice your daughter's fare at the current rate with a 200% single supplement and most likely lose the OBC. Plus you will have to modify your daughter's insurance to the full amount of the cruise in case she has to cancel and wants a reimbursement for the entire cruise fare.

Side note, there is also a $100 OBC pp. Not too concerned but how is that affected.

You will still get the $100 OBC for DDs cabin

Now the big ? Will this be an issue with CC? Being that she will be in her cabin alone? She is fine with it.

At 19 years old and with you, her parent on the ship, it will not be an issue for Carnival.

I know there can be multiple scenarios to this situation and I guess any and all advice would be good so we can make some choices. Not a big fan of calling CC because of the lack of confidence/info I usually get when calling.

Best Of Luck

Best Of Luck

Thank you for taking the time on this.

I am thinking the No Show was the best route to go. It would be cheaper for us to send her the base cabin rate she paid and leave it at that. I will just trust that all of the prepaid's will hit my card after the cruise.

I did notice after I posted this that I had an email stating the excursion would be refunded to my card in 5 to 7 days.

If the friend wanted to pursue her 50% refund, would it just be cheaper for the OP if she refunded her out of her own pocket to keep the daughter's fare the same?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thinking that is the route we will be going.

I would go the route mentioned. If any refunds are given, do it out of your own pocket, don't involve the cruiseline. Just allow the friend to be a no show so it doesn't alter your daughters fare or OBC at all. That way there is no way your daughters booking can be messed up this close to sailing.

What kind of insurance did you buy? Depending on the type you bought it may have a provision to cover this, since you bought it for the friend and your DD you may want to check and see if covers her friend cancelling and it covering the single supplement before you do anything.

I would go the route mentioned. If any refunds are given, do it out of your own pocket, don't involve the cruiseline. Just allow the friend to be a no show so it doesn't alter your daughters fare or OBC at all. That way there is no way your daughters booking can be messed up this close to sailing.

What kind of insurance did you buy? Depending on the type you bought it may have a provision to cover this, since you bought it for the friend and your DD you may want to check and see if covers her friend cancelling and it covering the single supplement before you do anything.

Yes we will be going this route, especially because this sailing is almost full.

We bought the insurance through CC. We are making the choice for her not to go, not the other way around. So not thinking there would be a claim.

There are some serious mental health issues and in light of some recent episodes we are no longer feeling comfortable being responsible for her health and safety on the cruise. It was a very hard decision that was not taken lightly. Honestly I am more worried of her calling CC and trying to make changes at this point, although she does not have my pin for this booking. We are just going to send her a check.

Again thank you for all of the great responses.

My worry would be that, technically, she could still show up at the port and be allowed to board because she is booked on the cruise. If there is even the slightest concern about that, I might just cancel and pay the difference for the solo room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am cancelling her airfare. We have to fly in the day before to make this cruise so I don't see that happening. She would need transport to Galveston and a night stay. Basically it would be a lot of work and costs for her to do that. We paid those costs as well so nothing out for her and she will have a large airfare credit.

Yikes! What an awful situation to be put in.

How is your DD taking this?

Is the friend upset, or her parents?

You are definitely making the right decision. I wouldn't want that on my shoulders either.

Just a horrible situation to be put in the middle of.......

Hope you guys have a great cruise!!!!:D

Yikes! What an awful situation to be put in.

How is your DD taking this?

Is the friend upset, or her parents?

You are definitely making the right decision. I wouldn't want that on my shoulders either.

Just a horrible situation to be put in the middle of.......

Hope you guys have a great cruise!!!!:D

Thank you KP, DD is taking it well and completely understands. We will still have a great cruise but have already talked to DD about the possibility of her being a little sad at times because her friend is not there for things we planned together. She will be fine and make the best of it. She never has trouble meeting new friends and has already told us that she will reach out to other kids her age.

We have not told the friend yet as she is very fragile right now. I want to make sure that it is all well thought out and we can reimburse her at the same time we tell her.

Again thank you and we will have a great cruise!!!

Ok, having read this all now here is what I would do...

1st off you need to tell her asap, to wait is really not going to get any better.

2nd since you are choosing not to be reasponceable for her and cancel her then you owe her every penny she paid for the cruise. This was your choice, not hers so it should not be her eating any of it

3rd, change the name of the 2nd person. If you have someone who can take her place and you can maybe get them to pay some of the fare and extra's then do it. If not and you are worried at all that she could rebook the flight with her credits or geet her own transport to the port put someone elses name in her place so she can't board. Perhaps even gift the extra space to someone special to you/your daughter/family so that the space is not wasted, heck of a birthday/christmas/graduation gift. If you just put someone elses name on it and don't "gift it to anyone else, just say they are a no show.

GL and I completely get it. To bad things are not different but they are what they are

Edited by tgirl25