How can I upgrade?

trajan

We are traveling on the Serenade in July. It will be our first RCI cruise and we are interested in an upsell offer. We booked a Deluxe Balcony and would like to move to a Superior Balcony. Originally, there was a $400 difference in balcony types per person, so I booked the cheaper balcony. I would be willing to paying up to $100 per person to get the better balcony type.

We booked it through a TA. Should I call the TA and tell them now or wait until it is a few weeks before our cruise? We are not Crown members since this will be our first RCI cruise.

Don't get your hopes up too high. If all the superior balconies are sold, there will be no upgrade. Even if they are not all sold, there is no guarantee that an upgrade offer will be made to you.

Your best bet is to check the prices. If prices go down enough to make the upgrade financially feasible for you, then tell your agent to book the better cabin and pay the difference. I was able to upgrade for free once using this method.

On our last Royal cruise, we had booked a promotion about a year in advance that gave us a free drink package. About two weeks before the cruise I noticed that a GS had opened up at a price price premium we were willing to pay.

On my first call to our "big box" TA, they said there was absolutely no way we could do the paid upgrade and keep the drink package perk. A couple days later the cabin was still available so I called again. The person I got spent about an hour on the phone with Royal and eventually got them to agree to the upgrade and the drink package.

Don't know what was said or how it worked, but if you see an upgrade you like, it might be worth a phone call or two.

Cheers,

I got a call a few days before the last cruise in November, and I excitedly answered as I saw the caller ID announce it was Royal Caribbean. Expecting an upgrade, or at least an upsell attempt, imagine my disappointment when the conversation was over and it turned out to be only a "bon voyage, enjoy your cruise" phone call. Has this happened to anyone else? It was a first for me. I hung up SMH, wondering what just happened.

Yes, we to have had the "Bon Voyage" calls, they even leave it on our answering machine. Since it was always just on our machine we wondered if we had missed the upsell but I guess not, based on your call also.