Wheelchair crusing

CountryCruiser

Just looking for any kind of tips or advice on cruising while being in a wheelchair. We have cruised many times, but this time, my 17 year old daughter is going to be in a wheelchair. We are cruising on the Dream next month out of New Orleans. Flying in on American Airlines. Just curious if anybody has anything that we need to take into consideration for this trip. We have already contacted the special assistance department for Carnival and for American. But with the vast amount of knowledge and experience here on CC, I thought I would fish for ideas.

Just looking for any kind of tips or advice on cruising while being in a wheelchair. We have cruised many times, but this time, my 17 year old daughter is going to be in a wheelchair. We are cruising on the Dream next month out of New Orleans. Flying in on American Airlines. Just curious if anybody has anything that we need to take into consideration for this trip. We have already contacted the special assistance department for Carnival and for American. But with the vast amount of knowledge and experience here on CC, I thought I would fish for ideas.

DH cruises using a scooter. Carnival is very accessible. If you have specific questions, I would recommend going to the Disabled Cruisers forum. There is a lot of really great information there.

The only real mention that I would have, if she has a difficult time transferring, to be sure that you have pre-arranged land transportation. Otherwise, most taxis have no trouble accommodating a folded wheelchair.

Im a cruiser in a wheelchair :) I hope you already have an accessible cabin on Dream as they are probably all booked up by now. That will make it much easier on her.

I was on Magic this past May (Dreams newer sister ship) and found the ship to be very accessible all over except for the sports court area. She would have to use the stair lift to go up there and its hard to find someone to operate it.

Anything else I can answer for you I will be glad to help :)

You should try to choose a cruise which does not stop at ports where tendering (transferring to land by a small boat) is required.

The newer the ship the better it will be in terms of wheelchair accessibility. There are still some older ships which have areas inaccessible to wheelchairs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I cruise in a wheelchair. I am not confined to it totally but I have to use it because I cannot walk more than about 5 feet at a time. I book standard balcony cabins because my wheelchair is collapsible and fits through the door. Carnival is very accessible. Sometimes the thresholds of the doors to outside decks aren't easy but they are manageable especially with a little help. The crew are always eager to help if you need it too. You may want to go to the dining room when you board to see if they can move you to a table close to where the wheelchair will fit unless your child can move to a table seat and they will store the wheelchair for you until you are ready to leave the dining room. Don't fear, Carnival is great with accessibility.

You can get wheelchair assistance for embarkation upon entry at terminal building. At disembarkation, you will meet at designated place inside the ship for assistance up to curbside. You don't have to push the wheelchair by yourself. The companions also goes along with her with priority boarding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The worst part about cruising in a wheelchair is your fellow passengers. My sister in law cruised with us right after foot surgery. We came back from an excursion and tried to get on an elevator. After four failed attempts because of rude passengers pushing past her, her granddaughter said in no uncertain terms that the next person that pushed past her was going to get their @$$ kicked. She got on the next elevator. ;)

If your DD cannot stand much, consider booking a cabin with a roll in shower and seat in the shower. I've had one of those cabins my last 2 cruises. I don't need the roll in shower (Carnival gave me those cabins both times), but it was really nice to have a seat to shave my legs. :-)