Viking China

2tsquared

Bob - I don't think you are being unreasonable, and your experience sounds like mine - actually yours sounds even more difficult. (Does your flight start on August 13th? which airline and connection?)

Please check my posts on page 166, #3308 and #3311 for some of my saga - I did wind up paying the custom air fee ($50 pp) but I was able to get a much better schedule on Air Canada, although I do have to leave earlier in the day. The agent was able to route me through Vancouver on contract seats. Perhaps there will be some contract availability for LAX to Beijing. Be sure to ask specifically for what you want, i.e. a better arrival time, and suggest the airline.

Good luck.

Maddle

$100 for the ability to talk custom air is peanuts compared to what you have already paid for this trip. Don't let flight arrangements spoil what is going to be a most fabulous trip..

It helps to do a bit of research before you talk so that you know what the choices are from your home town to Beijing.

My wife and I are part of the China's Cultural Delights tour from August 14th through 30th. We just received our airline flight schedule from Viking, and I am disappointed, to say the least. Viking has us arriving Beijing on August 14th at 11:40 PM! I'm guessing that we'll be very fortunate to arrive at our hotel by 3:00 AM on August 15th, the SECOND day of the tour.

I am curious to hear your opinions as to whether or not I am being unreasonable in thinking that this isn't right. I realize that August 14th is an "arrival day", but we're not "arriving" to the hotel until August 15th. The next morning, after breakfast, is a full day of touring, including Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, and the Summer Palace. Very challenging for us under these circumstances.

We're not traveling out of some god-forsaken location -- we leave out of Los Angeles!

Anyway, your thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. I appreciate the sage advice I have received over the years from this board.

Regards,

Bob

Even without custom air (although you may need to do that) I don't think you are being unreasonable to expect something better than this, and I would call them up and ask them to change this. Speak to a supervisor if you have to. According to Viking's own web site for this tour, you're supposed to be met at the airport on Day One, taken to your hotel, and "After check-in, you have free time to relax." In your case, that simply will not be true. You won't even GET to your hotel on Day One, it will be the wee hours of Day Two, and then you will barely have time to sleep let alone "relax" before the tour starts on Day Two.

I think there's an implicit promise in the above to get you to your hotel at a reasonable time on Day One. Certainly from California that ought to be do-able.

As Peregrina says, I'd first check flight schedules to see what the other possibilities are, and confirm for yourself whether there are better options out there. I still think that without custom air, Viking should do a better job than this for the reasons I set out above, but if all else fails, I agree with Peregrina, spend the money for custom air and insist they give you a far better flight.

Enjoy your trip!!!

I agree that Custom Air is the preferable route and it was for me and my Type A personality. I also would push Viking that how do they get around you missing the first day? Do you get compensated for that loss? Read carefully the brochure but if indicates you are to be there on day 1, then you need to make that very clear to them that your tickets do not accomplish that at all and that you need to be rerouted. You are paying a lot for the trip and that just is not good business. I had another issue and raised it with them and did get a credit for an inconsistency in their brochure (not much of one but nonethless an acknowledgement that they did not provide us what they said they would in their own materials). Other people from the west coast did get their on time--in fact all of our tour did. I do not see any excuse other than if the arranged flights that were scheduled to get in on the day the tour starts did not because of something with weather, etc. that is beyond their control. Scheduling air before the departure is totally within Viking's control. Maddie too benefitted by going to Viking on this. As Peregrina says, the $100 is not a steep price to pay to sleep better at night knowing you have an air arrangement that is doable (especially in light of the overall cost of the trip).

Go for it!

Piney, Turtles and Peregrina are all correct - do your research, check schedules, be proactive and firm - and do let us know how it works out. I was pleased with the care they took with my second set of arrangements BUT I did have to know what I wanted. The cost of custom air was the least of the worries. Your current schedule is too exhausting.

Be aware of your return flights, too - as that can be a pill. My original scheduling cost me a total of two full days out of a twelve day vacation. I now have an afternoon to recover on the first day, and time to pack up and prepare for the flight home at the end.

I don't know why west coast flights are such a misery - we are that much closer to the destination, and we seem to get the worst plans. Perhaps it is because we don't go over the North Pole?

Maddle

Piney, Turtles and Peregrina are all correct - do your research, check schedules, be proactive and firm - and do let us know how it works out. I was pleased with the care they took with my second set of arrangements BUT I did have to know what I wanted. The cost of custom air was the least of the worries. Your current schedule is too exhausting.

Be aware of your return flights, too - as that can be a pill. My original scheduling cost me a total of two full days out of a twelve day vacation. I now have an afternoon to recover on the first day, and time to pack up and prepare for the flight home at the end.

I don't know why west coast flights are such a misery - we are that much closer to the destination, and we seem to get the worst plans. Perhaps it is because we don't go over the North Pole?

Maddle

We are from Memphis and flew to Chicago and over the pole! The flights were shorter than most from California. I just wish I had booked custom air and went a day or 2 early and came back a day or 2 later. I didn't want the additional tours before and after were not what we wanted... we just wanted additional "adjustment time"

We are on our way on Viking Century Sun on June 25 for the China Cultural Delights tour.....slid in to the tour at the last moment. Anyone else going on this one and any hints while we are on it; we read Peregrina651's excellent comments. :)

We were with the Viking Surkov last year from St. Petersburg to Moscow.........

We are on our way on Viking Century Sun on June 25 for the China Cultural Delights tour.....slid in to the tour at the last moment. Anyone else going on this one and any hints while we are on it; we read Peregrina651's excellent comments

Hi Stargateman,

My daughter and I have booked this tour also. I wish that we had some hints but this will be our first time to China ...and our first time on a riverboat.

It's nice to hear from another guest on our cruise...look forward to seeing you onboard.

How did you like your St. Petersburg-Moscow trip? My husband and I visited St. Petersburg last year on our Baltic Cruise.

Susan

P.S. I hear that we are going during the hottest time of the year.

My wife and I are part of the China's Cultural Delights tour from August 14th through 30th. We just received our airline flight schedule from Viking, and I am disappointed, to say the least. Viking has us arriving Beijing on August 14th at 11:40 PM! I'm guessing that we'll be very fortunate to arrive at our hotel by 3:00 AM on August 15th, the SECOND day of the tour.

I am curious to hear your opinions as to whether or not I am being unreasonable in thinking that this isn't right. I realize that August 14th is an "arrival day", but we're not "arriving" to the hotel until August 15th. The next morning, after breakfast, is a full day of touring, including Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, and the Summer Palace. Very challenging for us under these circumstances.

We're not traveling out of some god-forsaken location -- we leave out of Los Angeles!

Anyway, your thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. I appreciate the sage advice I have received over the years from this board.

Regards,

Bob

Many thanks to those of you who shared your opinions and experiences with me. I have worked this with my travel agent and so far, no luck in getting anything changed. Even if I want to give in and pay the $100 for "custom air", it's too late now. Nothing else is available. I was informed of the flight situation just as I was leaving for a short vacation and by the time I figured out what I wanted to do -- too late for custom air.

I still maintain that Viking has me arriving on Day 2 of my tour and they are not meeting their contractual commitment. I have sent a letter to their customer relations department. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

Bob

Hi Stargateman,

My daughter and I have booked this tour also. I wish that we had some hints but this will be our first time to China ...and our first time on a riverboat.

It's nice to hear from another guest on our cruise...look forward to seeing you onboard.

How did you like your St. Petersburg-Moscow trip? My husband and I visited St. Petersburg last year on our Baltic Cruise.

Susan

P.S. I hear that we are going during the hottest time of the year.

The Russia cruise was outstanding - same time of year. The average age was 75+ but all well traveled interesting people. We were on the cusp of 50 and were definitely one of the three youngest couples. It was also on Viking so we did really enjoy it; we usually travel independently but in some locales, tours are the way to go. We can only travel this time frame each year so we hope cloud cover and the A/C really work on this trip; our first and probably our only trip to China. We used a "river guide" on the Volga and found that the same company just came out with a China version; chinabyriver.com if you have an interest.

If you drop me a note at taxczar@hotmail.com, I can shoot you a pic from Red Square so we can be identified on the hotel lobby or the ship and hopefully we will see you there.

I bought the requisite fans and handbags from the street vendors. Our daughter collects postcards, so we bought plenty of those. I don't mind bargaining as long as I know that I am paying less for something than I would at home. What is the point of buying something on vacation if I can get it at home for less?

I loved shopping for silk-like robes for my girls in Shibaozhai. I wasn't even in the market but when 350 yuan ended up at 100 yuan (about what I would pay at home), I bought it and then went on to find and buy two more at different stalls for the same price. The best souvenir shopping was in Shibaozhai but do get used to vendors hawking their wares and getting in your face a bit--it is how they do business there.

We went shopped for pearls at Pearl City in Shanghai and we splurged on a hand-painted calligraphy scroll at the Chongqing zoo, as we had planned to do. We passed up jade, silk rugs, the high quality porcelain and hand-embroidered silk work (stunning stuff but only so much wall space in my house).

However, of all the things we brought home, my favorite piece was an original charcoal and brush drawing that we found in the stalls at Shibaozhai. We saw his work as walked up the hill into the town and knew that we would be stopping on our way back to the ship to buy one of his drawings.

143655-1275939738-4-l.jpg

Just in time for those of us planning one of these trips in 2011, the U.S. is really putting pressure on China to end its policy of keeping "the yuan pegged at an artificially low level to the dollar."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/10/AR2010061005385.html

I doubt it will affect prices much.... No prices in China are set in stone.

China will shrug it's shoulders.

If you want to make some money.... carry a couple of old iphones! I was offered up to $1000 US cash for my 3GS and $600 for each of my 3 iphone 3s! People on street are dying for them even though they are made in China! US jailbroken phones work in China and official iPhones in China CANNOT operate on WIFI! Jailbroken US phones can!

Hi

We want to go on Viking's Imperial Jewels in October 2010, but in time for World's Fair (ending Oct 31)-we're two female friends. Ideally we'd start in Beijing and end in Shanghai, but those ships are sold out, so we're thinking of starting at the World's Fair in Shanghai and then joining the cruise. We have to act fast, so any insights would be very much appreciated. Any thoughts on cabin class? Our preference would be mid- to forward-ship on D, but if that is not available, any input on back vs. front or mid in D class? What about D vs E - Does a higher deck make a big difference in terms of viewing scenery while cruising or is E/F okay too? Any input on direction on the river: Beijing to Shanghai, vs. Shanghai to Beijing? Is there a difference? Has anyone been to World's Fair before or after the viking cruise?

Many thanks.

Our cabin was forward on deck three. It was quiet--no engine noise. However, the ship is small and sailing is smooth so it doesn't really matter where you are on the ship.

Although all cabins have a balcony, we did not tend to spend a lot of time in our cabin. We liked being on the upper decks in the lounges where we could go from one side of the ship to the other depending on what was to be seen.

As for starting in Shanghai, we loved it. The whole cruise built to a crescendo ending with the terracotta warriors, the Great Wall and the Forbidden City. You can't go wrong with this cruise no matter where you start.

Another advantage of starting in Shanghai is that the pace is not as hectic as it is in Beijing. You will also see the museum in Beijing before you get to the museum in Wuhan which is a better way to see museums. Also I think Viking takes you to see panda bears if you go this way and not the other way.

Another advantage of starting in Shanghai is that the pace is not as hectic as it is in Beijing. You will also see the museum in Beijing before you get to the museum in Wuhan which is a better way to see museums.

Starting in Shanghai, you will see the museum in Wuhan first, before going to Beijing.

Starting in Shanghai, you will see the museum in Wuhan first, before going to Beijing.

Thanks so much for the insights! Good to know about the bears. If we go in Oct for the WFair, we're looking at a D/back-of-boat-cabin: Shanghai to Beijing on Viking Century Sun, Imperial Jewels. In case anything opens up or we go at another time, I'm curious, what is the difference in going in the other direction (Beijing to Shanghai/downstream) and are there any advantages in going/preferences for going in that direction vs. starting in Shanghai? Are their more nights on land? I know we'll be happy either way, but these decisions seem so monumental now, especially with so much $$ on the line!

Either way, if we go to Expo, we'd spend an extra day or two in Shanghai. If we end in Beijing, is it a good idea to spend extra time there as well? Is there a lot more to do than covered on trip? Would you advise more exploration time in Beijing or Shanghai - or the same? Thanks! I'm trying to research as much as I can, but nothing is like the advice of those who've experienced these trips. Can't thank you enough for your help.

Thanks so much for the insights! Good to know about the bears. If we go in Oct for the WFair, we're looking at a D/back-of-boat-cabin: Shanghai to Beijing on Viking Century Sun, Imperial Jewels. In case anything opens up or we go at another time, I'm curious, what is the difference in going in the other direction (Beijing to Shanghai/downstream) and are there any advantages in going/preferences for going in that direction vs. starting in Shanghai? Are their more nights on land? I know we'll be happy either way, but these decisions seem so monumental now, especially with so much $$ on the line!

Either way, if we go to Expo, we'd spend an extra day or two in Shanghai. If we end in Beijing, is it a good idea to spend extra time there as well? Is there a lot more to do than covered on trip? Would you advise more exploration time in Beijing or Shanghai - or the same? Thanks! I'm trying to research as much as I can, but nothing is like the advice of those who've experienced these trips. Can't thank you enough for your help.

We're doing Imperial Jewels next May (can't wait!!), starting in Beijing. Whichever direction you start in, it's the same number of nights on land and on the river. I doubt you can go wrong starting either way. There are a few minor differences. Starting out in Beijing, the trip will include a rickshaw tour of the (fast disapearing) Hutongs; this is not included in the tour starting in Shanghai. And, as others noted above, the trip starting in Shanghai visits the zoo in Chongquing. (Fortunately, we've seen the pandas in the National Zoo.)

For us, one (obviously very subjective) factor in starting out in Beijing rather than Shanghai is that we are far more interested in spending time in Beijing, and we know that after an exhausting tour of nearly two weeks, we'll be tired and antsy to get home. So we're flying to Beijing a few days early, which will give us some time to get over the jet lag, and do a little touring on our own at a more leisurely pace (e.g., we'll probably go out to a different [less crowded] section of the Great Wall than Viking will take us to, like Mutianyu) (And if we feel the need to see pandas *in* China, we can go to the Beijing Zoo. ;))

Again, a very subjective choice based on what we know about ourselves and what we're interested in! :)

[PS If you were adding the post-tour extension to Hong Kong, it would make sense to start in Beijing]

Have a great time, and please come back here and tell us about it!

Speaking of differences, note that Cultural Delights has more time on the river than Imperial Jewels or Roof of the World. Cultural Delights includes tours of The Porcelain History Museum, YueYang Tower, Fengdu, Buddhist sacred Mt. Jiuhua and the manufacturing town of Suzhou.

Thanks! This is so very helpful. Our ideal date and direction is Oct 16, Beijing to Shanghai, with Expo at the end, but that's completely sold out. So we are going the following week Shanghai to Beijing-Imperial Jewels. We were keen on downstream direction, but I feel much better about the trip we'll be on based on the input from you guys--thanks! We're going to add on extra time in both Shanghai and Beijing so we'll recover from jet lag, visit the Expo, and have more time in both cities for exploration. Turtles, based on your input, we'll definitely take a tour of Hutong and a private home-that was one of the drawbacks for me about the upstream route as well. We'll make sure we ask the Viking guides about this so we get a bit of their insights, even if we won't see it with them. My agent at Viking, the fabulous Jean, said the guide for Hutong is excellent. I read some general info that traveling upstream takes longer so the boats sail at night, whereas downstream they dock at night -- so there is a chance of missing some scenery if you go shanghai to Beijing while the boats are traveling during the night. Not sure if that's true of Viking cruise, this was just general information about Yangtze river travel. But I know either way, it's going to be spectacular. I've really enjoyed and benefited from the posts in this forum. Thanks again - I have a feeling I'll be stopping in again with more questions before our trip! And I'll certainly report after we return.

We're going to add on extra time in both Shanghai and Beijing so we'll recover from jet lag, visit the Expo, and have more time in both cities for exploration.

Hopefully it will be better when you go (near the very end of the Expo which closes Nov. 1), but so far there have been very long waits in lines at the Expo.

"Visitors to the Saudi Arabian pavilion of Shanghai’s World Expo might be spending more time there than they bargained for if you include waits of up to nine hours.

Thousands of expo-goers, the elderly among them, have braved Shanghai’s humidity for a chance to see the “moon boat,” a nickname for the country’s 6000-square-meter pavilion complete with date palm trees planted on the structure’s roof.

“In the very beginning, few people paid attention to Saudi Arabia,” said Terrence Ou, CEO and founder of The Great Wall Adventure Club, which specializes in trips to the Expo. “It’s an Arabian country and people thought they know what it looks like by looking at the TV or whatever.”

That changed, however, when word spread of the Saudi pavilion and its 1,600-square-meter movie screen, among the world’s largest. France may have duty-free perfume to sell, while Australia has Ugg boots and China a dose of patriotism, but no one seems to have tapped visitors’ desire to glimpse the future quite like the Saudis.

That doesn’t mean all Expo-goers are patiently waiting their turn. Saudi Arabia, along with several other countries, recently closed down express handicapped access to the pavilion after visitors were found to be faking disabilities, according to a report in the Shanghai Daily.

Saudi Arabia and Sweden, which reported 4,000 people each day faked disabilities at its pavilion, shut down special handicapped access, the newspaper reported, while Germany began requiring visitors with disabilities to make reservations in advance.

Yan Linhong, a spokeswoman for the Swedish pavilion, said, “We once saw one elderly person accompanied by nine adults, trying to force an entry through the express lane.”

A state-run legal news website even weighed in, running an editorial under the headline, “Don’t let the ‘falsely disabled’ be the humiliation of mankind.”

---

"Outside the most popular venues — those of Japan, South Korea, Spain and the U.S. — thousands lined up patiently, waiting for up to two or three hours for a chance to get in."

I read some general info that traveling upstream takes longer so the boats sail at night, whereas downstream they dock at night -- so there is a chance of missing some scenery if you go shanghai to Beijing while the boats are traveling during the night. Not sure if that's true of Viking cruise, this was just general information about Yangtze river travel. .

The scenery is very repetitive, so I wasn't worried about missing anything.

The Gorges are all done during the day, so you are not going to miss a moment --plus they are narrated.

The scenery is very repetitive, so I wasn't worried about missing anything.

The Gorges are all done during the day, so you are not going to miss a moment --plus they are narrated.

We are leaving in a week on the same China Cultural Delights tour. Who is the best ship tour guide? :D

Archived