Viking China

2tsquared

We were on the Imperial Jewels from July 22 to August 2nd.

Two strenuous day trips come to mind... The first was to the pagoda and up the stairs inside...but it was very very hot that day. One of my companions with some mobility issues took the walk out to the site, and waited for us in the area just after the suspension bridge. The second was on and around the Great Wall. She was able to join us for the group picture, (a bit of a walk) and when it was time to trek up the Wall itself, she was in her glory shopping in the store. An observation tower at the Dam was a little taxing - but there was an air conditioned museum at the site. There is also a lot of walking around Tiannemen Square and the Forbidden City, but the pace was not too fast.

My advice is go for it - go as far as you can, and then rest while others go on. At most locations there were diversions for those that didn't want the hard climbs. The bus rides gave an overview of the country that you would miss if you stayed in the hotel - and our guide (Bob) gave interesting talks along the way that were an integral part of getting to know China.

I can't really comment on the face masks - that's probably a good question for your physician as to which is more reliable.

There was a little shop onboard that sold some sundries, including batteries. Emphasis should be on "little" and "some." I suggest bring what you think you will need; for instance: extra batteries, pain/headache relief (Tylenol, Motrin equiv.) Immodium equiv., Neosporin equiv.,some Band-Aids, etc.

On a side note, one fellow traveler gave me a bit of a hard time for carrying too much stuff of that nature. He said, "this is China - didn't you think they would have that here?" and I said, "you've been on the same trip as me - when did we have time to visit a drug store?" Yes, it is available, but when you need it, you want to have it.

Have a wonderful trip. This was the most exciting and wondrous thing I ever did in my adult life.

Maddle

I've learned so much by browsing this thread in advance of our Imperial Jewels trip (Shanghai to Beijing) on October 20 -- thank you, everyone!

I still have a couple of questions:

For those who can't walk far or up many steps, which are the most strenuous excursions? And is it still worth it to go on the bus and see the countryside, maybe walk around a little bit?

Does the ship have a store selling practical items like batteries, aspirin, etc?

I'm considering at least bringing face masks for the pollution (I have chronic asthma and my husband has COPD), but I hate the crappy white ones that make you look like an alien! Does anyone know if a simple surgeon's mask (cloth, soft) would also work? (or a handkerchief across one's nose and mouth?)

Thanks in advance!

Your tour guide can arrange for someone to carry the individual who can't walk too many steps. That was done for a couple of people on our tour. You will have to pay extra but it was not too much. Do go to all the sites, even if you cannot climb the stairs it is worth seeing the country side and the site.

The ships store is very limited so bring everything from home.

Your tour guide can arrange for someone to carry the individual who can't walk too many steps. That was done for a couple of people on our tour. You will have to pay extra but it was not too much. Do go to all the sites, even if you cannot climb the stairs it is worth seeing the country side and the site.

The ships store is very limited so bring everything from home.

I'm not sure my husband is going to let someone cart his oversized American butt up the stairs -- I think he'd rather stay at the bus!! :p

But it's good to have options!

Two strenuous day trips come to mind... The first was to the pagoda and up the stairs inside...but it was very very hot that day. One of my companions with some mobility issues took the walk out to the site, and waited for us in the area just after the suspension bridge. The second was on and around the Great Wall. She was able to join us for the group picture, (a bit of a walk) and when it was time to trek up the Wall itself, she was in her glory shopping in the store. An observation tower at the Dam was a little taxing - but there was an air conditioned museum at the site. There is also a lot of walking around Tiannemen Square and the Forbidden City, but the pace was not too fast.

My advice is go for it - go as far as you can, and then rest while others go on. At most locations there were diversions for those that didn't want the hard climbs. The bus rides gave an overview of the country that you would miss if you stayed in the hotel - and our guide (Bob) gave interesting talks along the way that were an integral part of getting to know China.

I can't really comment on the face masks - that's probably a good question for your physician as to which is more reliable.

There was a little shop onboard that sold some sundries, including batteries. Emphasis should be on "little" and "some." I suggest bring what you think you will need; for instance: extra batteries, pain/headache relief (Tylenol, Motrin equiv.) Immodium equiv., Neosporin equiv.,some Band-Aids, etc.

On a side note, one fellow traveler gave me a bit of a hard time for carrying too much stuff of that nature. He said, "this is China - didn't you think they would have that here?" and I said, "you've been on the same trip as me - when did we have time to visit a drug store?" Yes, it is available, but when you need it, you want to have it.

Have a wonderful trip. This was the most exciting and wondrous thing I ever did in my adult life.

Maddle

I completely agree with you that when you need it, you want it! Traveling to places like this, 3/4 of my luggage is sundries and supplies, rather than clothing. And I know a lot of countries, like China, DON'T have the same access to supplies, especially American brands. Big cities would, of course, but out in the countryside, if I need some Immodium, I don't want to be wandering around a village looking for the local equivalent!

It's good to know that the trips are worthwhile. We'll take advantage of the visits and do whatever we can! Thanks!

I never travel without my pharmacy. I've added an item since the China trip: Cortizone Cream. I came down with quite a rash and nothing to treat it with.

I also carry cough drops, cold meds, Immodium (of course) and just about anything else you can use to treat yourself. Don't forget first aid. Band aids and antibiotic cream especially.

I'm considering at least bringing face masks for the pollution (I have chronic asthma and my husband has COPD), but I hate the crappy white ones that make you look like an alien! Does anyone know if a simple surgeon's mask (cloth, soft) would also work? (or a handkerchief across one's nose and mouth?)

We bought several of the alien masks with us, but never needed to use one.

Beijing was the only place where the pollution level was high (pollution also in Shanghai, but not bad). During the 2 days in Beijing, we only saw one person wearing a mask (not alien kind), so even the local populace did not feel the need to use them.

Of course, weather conditions may be different when you are there, better or worse.

I never travel without my pharmacy. I've added an item since the China trip: Cortizone Cream.

Linda - that's the ONE thing I did not have with me, and boy, did I miss it. I did have after-sun ointment so that helped, but cortizone would have been better. (Okay, the one other thing I didn't have was nail polish remover, but that is more for vanity than for health reasons.) I had just about everything else, and I was happy to be the go-to girl on the bus.

Like I said, when you need it, you want it...and you don't want to deal with stopping at a drug store and dealing with language barriers, etc.

Maddle

I never travel without my pharmacy. I've added an item since the China trip: Cortizone Cream. I came down with quite a rash and nothing to treat it with.

I also carry cough drops, cold meds, Immodium (of course) and just about anything else you can use to treat yourself. Don't forget first aid. Band aids and antibiotic cream especially.

I'm like you -- a traveling pharmacy. And it seems as if there's something new to add with every trip. Earlier this year when we were in Egypt, at the advice of our travel clinic we brought Cipro along, just in case. Fortunately, we didn't need it, but it will now go along with me, particularly if we are someplace where we can't drink the water.

Yes, I carry Cipro, too. The China trip was the first time I took it. I came down with bacterial diahrrhea on our Amazon trip and really wished I had some.

I don't know for sure, but I think the "doctor" on the Century Sun was more of a Chinese herbalist than an MD. My hubby came down with Bell's Palsy the second day on the ship and I don't think the doctor was even aware of what it was. Of course there was the language barrier even though our guide did the translating. I wondered what you would do if you came down with something, well shall we say "intimate?" I'd have been embarassed to death having to explain to the guide what was wrong.

I completely agree with you that when you need it, you want it! Traveling to places like this, 3/4 of my luggage is sundries and supplies, rather than clothing.

:) Time for a little “fun”. :)

Your suitcase should be easy to find at the airport.

It’s the one that will have :D “Walgreens” :D written on the front and back of it.

It’s the one that will have :D “Walgreens” :D written on the front and back of it.

LOL

I carry Cipro too. At first I thought it was a bit of an over abundance of caution....but two medical professionals thought it was a good idea and did not hesitate to write a prescription for it.

Personally, I was more concerned about my immunization shots being up to date....but that's just how I am. I try to anticipate, prepare....and then relax and know I have done the best that I can.

On another topic - I went to both extra shows, and I really enjoyed both of them. The Tang Dynasty show was beautiful. I found the Peking Opera entertaining. Yes, the voices are a bit strange, but nothing that would drive you out of the room. The costumes and story lines were so different from anything I have experienced.

Maddle

We bought several of the alien masks with us, but never needed to use one.

Beijing was the only place where the pollution level was high (pollution also in Shanghai, but not bad). During the 2 days in Beijing, we only saw one person wearing a mask (not alien kind), so even the local populace did not feel the need to use them.

Of course, weather conditions may be different when you are there, better or worse.

I just remember being in Beijing 25 years ago in the fall, and between car emissions, and wood and coal smoke from heating fires, the pollution was terrible. Throw in all the new factories and the increase in cars, and I'm figuring it will be far worse. And the masks are some of the lightest things I'm cramming into the luggage! ;)

I'm going on the Viking Sun on its October 30th cruise Shanghai to Beijing and very much looking forward to it. I've heard wonderful things about it from friends who have been on it. Seems like this may be the last one for the Viking Sun as they have a new one for next year (Viking Emerald I believe).

I'm glad to hear from someone else who is going on the Oct 30 cruise. We are arriving in Shanghai around noon on Saturday. I hope we have a little time to explore on our own later that day.

:)Castledavies & Luv2cruise-My wife Nancy & I are on the China tour with ya'll. We are from Augusta,Ga. Would you like to get together for cocktails on cruise so that we can meet? Looking forward to meeting you & having a great trip.

Nice to hear from you! We are from Greenville SC, flying out of Charlotte. Our hotel is the Grand Hyatt. It would be fun to meet you on the cruise for cocktails.

Maria and Phil

That sounds good. Looking forward to meeting you all. I lived in Greenville for about 3 years. My youngest daughter went to Furman. I really did enjoy the area. Will be back in touch

with you closer to the cruise so that we can set up a time and date.

Nancy and Tony

Maddle

One final question -- my SIL went a few years ago (before the dam was finished) and said that her biggest challenge was the amount of stairs to get to and from the ship itself. Is that still a problem?

We did have one spot that was tough leaving the ship. I wish I could tell you the name of the town, but I don't believe it is a normally scheduled stop. We had to disembark early from our cruise because of high water not allowing the ship to pass under a bridge. (We took a three hour bus ride to Chongquing to the zoo, and then continued on to Lunch and then the flight to Beijing.)

This was a tough climb, but if you take your time, it can be done. It's not likely that you will have this same challenge, because the water level should be down by then. But just in case, here's how we handled it....

My friend was one of the first off the ship so she would not have to rush. In fact, we were watching her climb the stairs from the dining room while we finished our coffee. There were porters that carried all the luggage up the stairs. I don't know how they did it, but they sure worked hard. You could pay porters to carry your hand-luggage. I figured I would be alright with my backpack, but I sure was winded when I reached the top...kind of wished I had paid someone to carry that heavy thing.

In conclusion, leave early, take your time, and don't carry anything but yourself. Hopefully this arrangement is no longer necessary and water levels are back to normal.

Maddle

One final question -- my SIL went a few years ago (before the dam was finished) and said that her biggest challenge was the amount of stairs to get to and from the ship itself. Is that still a problem?

There are a bunch of steps at Chongquing, the starting/ending (depending on direction of trip) point for the Yangtze part of the cruise.

See the pictures below.

1495750703_100_4708PiertoshorefromtheCenturySundock.jpg.1f164e51a235f33ab53d89ec50b79686.jpg

215251725_100_4709Stepstoclimbtostreetlevel.jpg.9e7ce5afef723f8589dbd4950df5663b.jpg

I've learned so much by browsing this thread in advance of our Imperial Jewels trip (Shanghai to Beijing) on October 20 -- thank you, everyone!

I still have a couple of questions:

For those who can't walk far or up many steps, which are the most strenuous excursions? And is it still worth it to go on the bus and see the countryside, maybe walk around a little bit?

Does the ship have a store selling practical items like batteries, aspirin, etc?

Thanks in advance!

We are on the same tour -- perhaps we'll meet on the ship - I started a roll call but only 4 people replied.

We Leave on October 19th to begin the October 20th Imperial Jewels tour. Picked up our visas yesterday and our shots are up to date -- ready to go -- only thing left to do is pack.

I don't think any particular shots are required but what shots did you get and why? We are going on 2 May on the new Emerald.

I don't think any particular shots are required but what shots did you get and why? We are going on 2 May on the new Emerald.

When traveling abroad (particularly to non-European countries), I always think it's a good idea to check the relevant CDC travel page (link below for China) and also, as they recommend, consult with a travel clinic on what immunizations to get. For China, apart from being up to date on routine immunizations, it looks at the very least like Hep A is a good idea. (I got this last year for Egypt, so I'm still okay, but if I hadn't, I'm pretty sure I'd be getting it for China.)

I'm going to be visiting my travel clinic soon for my annual flu shot, and will ask them for their China recommendations to see if I need anything else. (Also got typhoid vaccine last year before the Egypt trip.)

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/china.aspx

There are a bunch of steps at Chongquing, the starting/ending (depending on direction of trip) point for the Yangtze part of the cruise.

See the pictures below.

Oh, heavens, that's where we get off! Ok, I gather we can pay someone to take up our hand luggage and we'll take our time going up. (And pray for high water levels!!)

Archived