Viking China

2tsquared

No one has come on here yet to report how this has affected any river cruises, but it seems a good guess that they've been affected.

I called Viking.

I was told that the locks are supposed to reopen tomorrow evening China time.

The current cruise will have to end short of Wuhan and the passengers bussed two hours to Wuhan.

We are doing the Beijing to Shanghai tour leaving on 4/5. Anyone know anything about the new ship, the Emerald?

Based on the pictures in their catalog and online, it is much like the current ship. A couple of bigger suites and a few less cabins.

Hi there,

Thanks for this update. We leave on the August 4th Imperial Jewels trip which starts in Beijing. Is anyone else going at that time? I've been asking Viking representatives how the flooding will affect our trip. It seems that they can't give any definitive answer as yet. If we are re-routed, does anyone know how well prepared they are to handle this? Where will they take you instead?

According to the article at the link below, the Three Gorges Dam has been temporarily closed to ship traffic due to massive flooding on the Yangtze. (This link was posted over on the River & Canal Cruises thread, where I saw it and thought it would be of interest to folks here too.)

My sympathies go out to the families of those who have lost their lives....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100720/wl_yblog_upshot/slideshow-rain-flooding-force-chinese-to-close-massive-dam

I called Viking.

I was told that the locks are supposed to reopen tomorrow evening China time.

The current cruise will have to end short of Wuhan and the passengers bussed two hours to Wuhan.

I checked again today with Viking. They said the locks are still being used. The reason the current cruise had to stop short of Wuhan is that there was a bridge the boat could not fit under with the current water levels.

According to the article at the link below, the Three Gorges Dam has been temporarily closed to ship traffic due to massive flooding on the Yangtze. (This link was posted over on the River & Canal Cruises thread, where I saw it and thought it would be of interest to folks here too.)

My sympathies go out to the families of those who have lost their lives....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100720/wl_yblog_upshot/slideshow-rain-flooding-force-chinese-to-close-massive-dam

I checked again today with Viking. They said the locks are still being used. The reason the current cruise had to stop short of Wuhan is that there was a bridge the boat could not fit under with the current water levels.

Thanks for posting, Caribill,

I guess we won't know until it gets closer to travel. I'm hoping it will not impact our trip much. Are you traveling on the 4th on the Viking Century Sun?

It is really very sad for the people who live there.

Hi Marlene,

I just read through your very thorough description. Thank you for taking the time to write. It's very helpful. We will be taking the Imperial Jewels beginning Aug. 4th. I would be interested in the word document about additional relevant information if you still have it saved. Please be in touch and let me know what is the best way for me to access it.

Thanks!

I went on the Cultural Delights Tour, Beijing-Shanghai with Guilin-Hong Kong extension (Fabulous--loved Guilin!), August 25-Sept. 13, 2006. The advice I got from these boards was invaluable, and I'm delighted to see that more recent travelers have been so good about posting their tips.

I compiled the tips I found relevant, as I read them, and then divided them into categories, I have those Word documents and would be happy to share with anyone who is interested.

I posted my post-trip report to the boards last fall. I've been reading the boards regularly and have been jotting down some that may be helpful.

Weather--HOT! But not as bad as we'd expected. Beijing wasn't too bad, as it rained the night we arrived and cleared things up a bit. The worst was the first part of the Yangtse.

Clothes--My husband (and most men) wore shorts along the river. Others wore them in the city too--we didn't. I found casual skirts cooler and also easier for Chinese toilets ;) which I mastered eventually. Saved a lot of time in lines. No one dressed up all that much in the evenings. A polo or sport shirt and slacks is all men need.

Free time--not much, though I am an avid reader and on this tour, unlike the shorter ones, you do have time while on the Yangtze to relax and read. (Some people felt we had too much down-time, LOL, but we enjoyed it!)

Cabins—we were on an upper deck in a “superior A” cabin—on the end with a few extra feet in width and liked it, but quite frankly I couldn’t see the value for the extra money. My husband did, however. As others have said, the cabins are all pretty much alike. We saw some of the jr. suites and didn’t like them as well as the standard layout.

Illness--I was on a trip where many, many people got quite sick. I am guessing that the Century Sun was contaminated at that point, because SDRonni's tour two weeks later also had many sick people.

My dr. wouldn’t give me antibiotics ahead of time. However, neither Don nor I had any major problems. He had a few hours of Mao's revenge and missed the school visit, but Immodium took care of it quickly. I took Pepto-Bismol tablets at the first sign of any stomach distress and was fine. We did not take any extra precautions; used hand sanitizer and were generally careful, but weren't concerned about railings and such. One of the first to get seriously ill was a trip friend with whom we spent lots of time, and we still didn't get sick. So who knows?

Photos and Cameras--If you don’t take your own laptop, take some CDs and a card reader—you are likely to find someone with a laptop who will transfer photos for you.

Agree about smaller cards, or more of them. I had a 512 MB card fail but not until halfway thru the trip...after I'd taken 350+ photos, sigh (Kingston--but I have found Kingston reputable in the past). Fortunately we had taken 2 cameras, so the pics my husband took with the older one saved the day. Plus trip friends shared with me to fill in the gaps. The older one's cards are 128MB max, so we had a friend with a laptop make a CD for us just in case, but we were fine. So I'm a big fan of finding a way to save shots along the way. And if you do have 2 cameras, take both!

One of the nice things about taking a computer is the ability to edit as you go, rather than be faced with 2000+ photos when you get home. The cameras with large LCDs let you see enough to do this as well. Mine are both older so the screens are small; the glaring outtakes are obvious but others are not.

I took rechargeable batteries to start but not the charger…a friend charged them when it ws convenient. Then I switched to lithium batteries, which were great.

And I still haven’t finished editing/making online albums, and we’ve been home since mid-September 2006! So don’t put it off like I did…I want to make a book of the trip highlights, but how we will choose the best shots is daunting so I keep procrastinating. This project is on my current to-do list, though.

I'm waiting to get a reasonably compact model with 10-12x zoom. Apparently Panasonic now has one. I like having a viewfinder, but these are disappearing in the point and shoot models so I'll have to learn to use the screen. Image stabilization is a great improvement, too.

SDRonni's photos are fabulous. I went on the trip just before she and her friend did, so we got togther after I returned, and again after she returned. The longer zoom made al the difference between good and great.

Electrical—you need a special adapter plug for China, though I never needed mine ($2 or so at a travel store). If your appliances/battery chargers etc aren’t dual voltage, you’ll need a converter for 220 v, 50 cycles. (Most recent ones are dual voltage—the large plugs have that information on them somewhere, though it may be hard to read.) Hotel rooms and cabins have hairdryers; I didn’t take one and was fine.

Snow Jade Cave--I did this because i hadn't seen caves like this; my husband had and enjoyed it less. There are bearers to take you up the steps/long path if you need them. Because we went in late August and it was very hot, we enjoyed the coolness! Not sure what the Feng Du city tour was like, as most of our group did the caves.

Trekking Poles: No one in our group used trekking poles, although a few had canes or needed wheelchairs in some places.

Guides: All groups loved their guides and felt theyhad the best one. Ours was David Zhao, one of the senior guides (early 40s). You get a different perspective on the cultural revolution and life in China depending on your guide's age. David was a pro at avoiding extra baggage costs when we went from Guilin to Hong Kong; the other group had to pay extra.

Baggage Weight: Don't stress over this! While you are in China, the bags are weighed as a group, and we never had to worry. We took 3 checked bags for the 2 of us (26", 24", and 21") and had no problems (though we were told in advance if there was a problem we might have to pay more-- it never happened). Other people had much larger bags. Even if you have to pay extra it isn't much, it's per kilo over the allowance. Really not worth agonizing over!

Mailing items home: Friends shipped a rug from the rug factory and it arrived with no problems. We bought a ring in HK (at a shop in the Peninsula Hotel) and they had to get the matching earrings for me. They arrived as promised, on time.

Jade: I found the prices in the shop where the tour took us really high. At thegift shop at the Terra Cotta Warriors, I bought bangles I liked a lot for about $40 each, vs. $100-200+.

Shopping in general: Prices quoted in recent posts for souvenir and more standard stuff were similar to what I paid (see my Sept. 06 post). it helps when bargaining to know what others have paid. I've enjoyed my purchases and the gifts were also a hit. In fact, I have a friend going in Sept. and will put in an order for a few more things!

Amusingly, I saw similar items for not much more in an oriental gift shop here in San Diego. The pillows come with inserts and are only $1-2 more--I paid more than that for the pillow inserts I bought here from my Chinese covers (though of course who has room for more than covers when traveling!

:D )

That's it for now. I'll skim posts again and add anything that seems relevant and useful.

Just got back from Imperial Jewel(July 14th to July 26th) best time of our life Beijing is WOW hot wear shorts,the Wall was great (I,m tired).THe Century Sun was hot AC was goood but the temp and humidity wAS OFF THE CHARTS.Just come to grips with less clothes ---Shorts,shorts,shorts.Even the Captains dinners was shorts.The wall was ROASTING had to ake a few more buses than normal because of the hight of the river---WE all went with the flow(of the river) out of our control.left Shanghai today(i think) best time EVER the people of China were and are warm,I had a lot of kids ask to have their picture taken with me(I guess they have never seen a big red faced goattee wearing Yank from Canada before.PLEASE if you go to the Viking school bring some gifts for these kids It was the best oart of the trip,pencils,paper,elastics,flags,We spent abot $20 on things and got it back 100 times.Shanghai blew our sox off.The Yangtze is waiting for you bring lots of memery cards.I took about 3000 pix.Look to the right then to the left WOW.Our guide Arnold (not his real name) was the best part of the trip.He is beyond words.I called him a long haired hipppy freak but he is a great rep of Chine and Viking.I,m going to go have a glass of wine right now and wish you all a better time tan we had----I don,t think it is possible ,we made a lot of friend(I don,t like to many 2 legged creature but I must say I met 10 out of 200 were GREAT--------------BEST TME MYSELF AND ME HAVE HAD CRUISING IN OVER @) YEARS-----Try to insisit on ARNOLD and dress LIGHT

I,m kind of windy and very .very tired with a lot of wash to do

John and Geri from Burlington ,Ontario,Canada

Any questions let us know jsullivan15@cogeco.ca WHEw nite

Cwind (John and Jeri): wow, thanks for taking the time to post about your trip. We are doing the same tour next May and trying to contain our excitement for the next ten months, but it makes us so happy to read comments like yours! So glad you had such a fantastic time (and were able to "go with the flow" because of the flooding).

Thanks especially for the tip about bringing small gifts for the schoolchildren; that's one suggestion I hadn't read before. Thanks again!

I was hoping someone would post about the cruise after ours (we left July 13). Thanks for the info.

Take new $1 bills if possible. We had an elderly Chinese lady chase us down the street because the one we gave her had a corner turned over. I am NOT kidding. And another one was refused because it was really used, kinda flimsy.

I, too, am sick at heart about the loss of life and property. The Chinese people stole our hearts just like they did the first time we were there.

I, too, had about six people ask for photos with me. They apparently were interested in my white hair.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your trip! We leave next week on the same ship. I was mostly concerned about the effects of the flooding. I see that at it's worst, it didn't measurably affect your sailing.

It is just shocking that so many lives were lost and homes destroyed.

Just got back from Imperial Jewel(July 14th to July 26th) best time of our life Beijing is WOW hot wear shorts,the Wall was great (I,m tired).THe Century Sun was hot AC was goood but the temp and humidity wAS OFF THE CHARTS.Just come to grips with less clothes ---Shorts,shorts,shorts.Even the Captains dinners was shorts.The wall was ROASTING had to ake a few more buses than normal because of the hight of the river---WE all went with the flow(of the river) out of our control.left Shanghai today(i think) best time EVER the people of China were and are warm,I had a lot of kids ask to have their picture taken with me(I guess they have never seen a big red faced goattee wearing Yank from Canada before.PLEASE if you go to the Viking school bring some gifts for these kids It was the best oart of the trip,pencils,paper,elastics,flags,We spent abot $20 on things and got it back 100 times.Shanghai blew our sox off.The Yangtze is waiting for you bring lots of memery cards.I took about 3000 pix.Look to the right then to the left WOW.Our guide Arnold (not his real name) was the best part of the trip.He is beyond words.I called him a long haired hipppy freak but he is a great rep of Chine and Viking.I,m going to go have a glass of wine right now and wish you all a better time tan we had----I don,t think it is possible ,we made a lot of friend(I don,t like to many 2 legged creature but I must say I met 10 out of 200 were GREAT--------------BEST TME MYSELF AND ME HAVE HAD CRUISING IN OVER @) YEARS-----Try to insisit on ARNOLD and dress LIGHT

I,m kind of windy and very .very tired with a lot of wash to do

John and Geri from Burlington ,Ontario,Canada

Any questions let us know jsullivan15@cogeco.ca WHEw nite

It was amazing to watch the water rise.All along the shore of the Yangtze there are meter marks posted,you can see the water rise quickly.It was very iffy if we were going to go throw the locks at The Three Gorges Dam or be bussed.We went throw the locks OK at about 4 in the AM.The water dropped like a rock,barges and all sorts of ships were waiting.There was another dam further down stream,a much older dam that we went through during the day.We had to be bussed to Wuhan as a result of the rising river(some bridges were just to low).It was cool to see the countryside and the people but my bum is still sore.Please make sure when you go to the Viking school to bring some gifts for the little kids.WE brought pencils and assorted school supplies,these poor kids have nothing.We had about 10 lbs, of stuff and I wish I had brought more.The expression of joy on these kids faces made our whole trip.I passed out about 50 small Canadian flags to the class and has a lot of pix taken(I,m a Yank living in Canada)Pencil,pads of paper and colorful stuff was more than welcome.Sorry for being so long winded.The China experience opened my eyes.They looked at me and asked if the could have their picture with me on more than one ocassion.They had not seen a caucasion before(or else had never seen a red faced 6 footer with a goatee waering a Red Sox hat.You will have the time of your life.Don,t forget the kids See ya

Please make sure when you go to the Viking school to bring some gifts for the little kids.WE brought pencils and assorted school supplies,these poor kids have nothing.We had about 10 lbs, of stuff and I wish I had brought more.The expression of joy on these kids faces made our whole trip.

Yes, we are prepared with school supplies for the school and have been for a while. Are glad to do it.

However, I do question how desperate the school is for supplies. The boat stops there once a week. If the passengers in only half the cabins bring supplies, that is 70 donations of supplies each week.

Unless this is a giant school, it seems that the school will be getting much more of these supplies than they can use by themselves.

However, I do question how desperate the school is for supplies. The boat stops there once a week. If the passengers in only half the cabins bring supplies, that is 70 donations of supplies each week.

Unless this is a giant school, it seems that the school will be getting much more of these supplies than they can use by themselves.

My first school visit was in Italy last year with Grand Circle. It never occured to me to bring a gift(s). There was only one person in our group who brought anything and it was wrapped, so I don't even know what it was. I think it's a good idea, but unless it was suggested ahead I would not bring gifts.

This is summer time for these kids.There are over 1200 kids in the school alone.Just go and see the lousy conditions of desks etc.etc.Open your heart and open your wallet for pens,crayons and things for young kids.Life is short enjoy :)

Perhaps I,m being a bit repitative not to many of the people on our Imperial Jewel(Viking) tour were aware of cruise critic.we were big time and THANK YOU cruise critic.This foroum has given us a ton of good info from many genorous people.I know my spelling sucks.But enjoy China,we got back Monday and are still wacaked.The wall and the Terracotta guys were great but the kids at the Viking school were THe best.PLEASE<PLEASE grab something bright colored and cool for these kids.I cannot express to you enough about the thrill you will get from giving to these farmers kids the heat is immense but the feeling in your heart will be with you for ever. I will never forget these last 12 or was it 13 days I forget,but these kids were beyond description Come on Guys the price of a glass of wine or a martini will enrich these kid and yourself will last forever.If you want a picture of me and these kids e mail me at

jsullivan15@cogeco.ca Thanks

I totally agree. I've been working on my cruise videos for our trip and just finished the section on the school. I just wish I had known about the gifts. Should have, I've read enough here about the trip, just didn't catch that part. We did leave a cash donation, but not the same at all.

Hi !! .We are from Australia ..and so looking forward to doing the tour . I have come across this wonderful site .....and it has been such a wealth of information. Thank you all so very much for sharing..

Does anyone know if the locks are open on the Dam ?? I find it so hard to google it to find out information ......Cheers.

Hi !! .We are from Australia ..and so looking forward to doing the tour . I have come across this wonderful site .....and it has been such a wealth of information. Thank you all so very much for sharing..

Does anyone know if the locks are open on the Dam ?? I find it so hard to google it to find out information ......Cheers.

Locks are open. However, boat cannot make it all the way to Wuhan as it cannot fit under some bridges on the higher river. Viking busses you to/from the ship & Wuhan. That will happen to us today.

Locks are open. However, boat cannot make it all the way to Wuhan as it cannot fit under some bridges on the higher river. Viking busses you to/from the ship & Wuhan. That will happen to us today.

Hi Caribill.....Thanks for your reply..... .but I am confused.Do the bus you each evening back to the ship?. How long do they expect the river to be so high ??

Thanks.......and hope you have a wonderful day !!:)

Archived