Viking China

2tsquared

Since the first post was for 2005, it almost seems like this particular file is too large and covers too many years. Perhaps we could start a new folder that starts with information in 2011?.?

.... just my 2 cents worth, but a lot of people who went on previous trips have the email notifications turned on and come back to answer questions. We are planning to go back to China, and keep abreast on everyone comments....

.... just my 2 cents worth, but a lot of people who went on previous trips have the email notifications turned on and come back to answer questions. We are planning to go back to China, and keep abreast on everyone comments....

I think this is one of the best threads I've seen and has so much information for all. Just my two cents. :):)

Ditto to Steve and Wally. It is the only thread I read while planning and I still get daily digests to keep up with it.

If you do start a new thread, please post a link here.

Since the first post was for 2005, it almost seems like this particular file is too large and covers too many years. Perhaps we could start a new folder that starts with information in 2011?.?

I agree with the others - too much GREAT info in these pages. It's like one stop shopping for info. Several people have been kind enough to stop by after their trips to provide up to the minute info. Keep the thread or link this to the new one.

My 2 cents or yuan if you will. :rolleyes:

Cathy

Question for those of you who have done this trip. Below are pics of the plug adapters that Internat'l Electrical Supplies says are needed in China; their China web page is linked below.

If you can remember (or, better yet, can compare with the ones you brought along): Do these look correct to you, for hotel and on board the boat? Do you think anything is missing?

And if anyone used a better web site to order adapters from, please do tell us what it was. Thanks!

Chinaplugadapters.jpg

http://www.international-electrical-supplies.com/china-plug-adapters.html

(My stuff is dual voltage; I don't need a converter, only an adapter.)

Question for those of you who have done this trip. Below are pics of the plug adapters that Internat'l Electrical Supplies says are needed in China; their China web page is linked below.

If you can remember (or, better yet, can compare with the ones you brought along): Do these look correct to you, for hotel and on board the boat? Do you think anything is missing?

And if anyone used a better web site to order adapters from, please do tell us what it was. Thanks!

Chinaplugadapters.jpg

http://www.international-electrical-supplies.com/china-plug-adapters.html

(My stuff is dual voltage; I don't need a converter, only an adapter.)

I do not remember which we needed, either on the ship or in hotels. Reason is that I always travel overseas with a set that includes #5 (labeled Great Britain, Africa, Hong Kong), #2 (labeled Australia, New Zealand), #3 (labeled North and South America--in other words USA), and one not shown with two round pins (labeled Europe, Middle East).

So far, I have been able to use this set everywhere.

Although you might think #3 might not be needed, it is useful if the room plug does not have the third hole for a ground that many of our devices require.

I started reading these entries in about 2008 (I haven't een reading them all these years, but when looking for information on the cruise went back to the 2008 entries) and have found the entire thing very informative. I'm glad all this great information is here!

I do not remember which we needed, either on the ship or in hotels. Reason is that I always travel overseas with a set that includes #5 (labeled Great Britain, Africa, Hong Kong), #2 (labeled Australia, New Zealand), #3 (labeled North and South America--in other words USA), and one not shown with two round pins (labeled Europe, Middle East).

So far, I have been able to use this set everywhere.

Although you might think #3 might not be needed, it is useful if the room plug does not have the third hole for a ground that many of our devices require.

The Emerald is a NEW SHIP and we don't yet have a report on the plugs in the cabins. Hopefully, someone from the first cruise will help us out with some photos and an inventory.

I travel with just a "US 2 flat prongs to European 2 round prongs" adapter (it's the only one I own) and it worked in the hotels and on the ship.

I should have added one more link to my previous post. Showing the different plug styles our adapter will fit.

Plug Styles

Thanks very much, Dale. I actually have one of those universal surge protector/adapters as well (different brand). Looks like the ungrounded plug option with the two slanted prongs (labeled Australia) will fit the Chinese outlets. (I'll still probably do belts and suspenders and get the separate adapters for China... just in case.:))

I just looked at Viking's website and it has been updated to reflect the Emerald's amenities and onboard layout. There is a section on plugs and a photo of what type to bring. Lots of good Q&A's.

Here is a link to Viking ship electrical outlets.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/pdfs/electrical_information.pdf

I should have added one more link to my previous post. Showing the different plug styles our adapter will fit.

Plug Styles

I bought the plug in your link last year for Europe. Worked great, Probably won't work on the Emerald with the slanted prongs. Bought it at amazon.com for less than $4 which included shipping. Will be watching amazon & ebay for the slanted plug.

Paul

I also have adapter questions - I have an international converter/adapter set from Am tourister. I have used this before but i am wondering why it says do not use converter with appliances containing electronic circuitry/ computers -Is the all in one surge protecter different? Is the 19.95 one what we need for China? I called them and they told me the China adapter is the same as the UK one. Is this true?

Judy

Here is a link to Viking ship electrical outlets.

I bought the plug in your link last year for Europe. Worked great, Probably won't work on the Emerald with the slanted prongs. Bought it at amazon.com for less than $4 which included shipping. Will be watching amazon & ebay for the slanted plug.

Paul

The following is what I did when we were in China. I had no problems, so you should be “ok”.

For USA/Japan/Thailand/China/Aust/Mid-Asia, push the button to the “unlock” position. The plug will flip out, then swivel the push to the angle you want then push the button to the “lock” position. After using it, push the button to the “unlock” position and push back the plug into the hole, then push the button back to the “lock” position.

I also have adapter questions - I have an international converter/adapter set from Am tourister. I have used this before but i am wondering why it says do not use converter with appliances containing electronic circuitry/ computers -Is the all in one surge protecter different? Is the 19.95 one what we need for China? I called them and they told me the China adapter is the same as the UK one. Is this true?

Judy

I can’t answer your question all I can do is relay my experience and I had no problems with the adapter I was using.

Judy

Apologies if you already know the following:

A converter, of course, is neither an adapter nor a surge protector, and is only needed if you don't have a dual voltage device; most electronics that you'd travel with today are dual voltage (laptops, cell phones, digital camera batteries). Maybe your converter is not supposed to be used with dual voltage devices (it's certainly not needed for them). If it says not to use it with a certain type of electronic device, I wouldnt take the chance of using it and harming the device.

All you need for a dual voltage device is the proper adapter so you can fit the plug into the foreign outlet. An all-in-one surge protector includes a set of adapters to fit the outlets in many countries. For China, as I understand it, we will at least need the adapter with the two slanted flat prongs. (Note that this will not be grounded.) See the illustration of the plug on Viking's web site (scroll down for China), which is described as the plug used in "China, Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea":

On my all-in-one surge protector, these two slanted prongs are identified as "Australia/New Zealand." The two prongs for the U.K. are a different shape, and are not slanted.

Again, apologies if I've said stuff you already know, as I suspect you do from your prior travels! :)

Apologies if you already know the following:

A converter, of course, is neither an adapter nor a surge protector, and is only needed if you don't have a dual voltage device; most electronics that you'd travel with today are dual voltage (laptops, cell phones, digital camera batteries). Maybe your converter is not supposed to be used with dual voltage devices (it's certainly not needed for them). If it says not to use it with a certain type of electronic device, I wouldnt take the chance of using it and harming the device.

All you need for a dual voltage device is the proper adapter so you can fit the plug into the foreign outlet. An all-in-one surge protector includes a set of adapters to fit the outlets in many countries. For China, as I understand it, we will at least need the adapter with the two slanted flat prongs. (Note that this will not be grounded.) See the illustration of the plug on Viking's web site (scroll down for China), which is described as the plug used in "China, Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea":

On my all-in-one surge protector, these two slanted prongs are identified as "Australia/New Zealand." The two prongs for the U.K. are a different shape, and are not slanted.

Again, apologies if I've said stuff you already know, as I suspect you do from your prior travels! :)

Every cabin has at least 1 US 110 Volt outlet. I carried an adapter and a powerstrip (8 plugs) to be prepared for iPads/iPhones, CPAP, electric razor etcc. I left it when we left China, a cheap $4 to make room for more purchases. I always carry a long list of items that are cheaper to leave behind: (ace bandages, superglue, 2 part epoxy, umbrellas, disposable rain ponchos, extension cords, laundry powder, Pepto Bismo and medicine, extra reading glasses Magic Markers, pens. etc....) When I get home, we repack a travel kit for next trip with any new items on list that we discuss on plane trip home!

I'm just beginning to peruse this thread which is SOOO long, but a wealth of info. The adapter information is very helpful. Just returned from a Galapagos trip which had a similar five-year thread--can be hard to find what you're looking for. I don't find the CC search tool very user-friendly.

I have started a roll call for our April 21 "Roof of the World" but no joiners so far. There is a roll call for April 25 "Imperial Jewels" and we will overlap with those folks on the Yangtze. I am especially concerned about altitude issues in Tibet and would appreciate any feedback from previous Tibet travelers. We are considering meds (diamox) for that part of the trip. Lots of water and no alcohol (darn). Any other advice?

11/2010 Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos

10/2010 Celebrity Solstice E. Caribbean

11/2009 Azamara Quest Ancient Empires

12/2008 Seabourn Legend Panama Canal

12/2007 Celebrity Millennium Spain and T/A Westbound

10/2004 Chardonnay Provence

7/2001 Wilderness Discoverer Alaska

7/1999 A&K Chanterelle Burgundy

5/1998 Princess Dawn Princess Reposition Pacific NW

8/1996 QE2 T/A Eastbound

7/1995 HAL Maasdam Baltic

4/1995 NCL West. Caribbean