Pre pay Service Charges

chriscec2012

• 1 month later...

Is there an advantage to pre paying the service charge? We have the UBP and 3 specialty dinner package which I think all service charges are all ready included.

Is there any scenario where we would be responsible for any additional service charges if we pre pay now?

Is there an advantage to pre paying the service charge? We have the UBP and 3 specialty dinner package which I think all service charges are all ready included.

Is there any scenario where we would be responsible for any additional service charges if we pre pay now?

The Daily Service Charges are an additional cost. They go toward the housekeeping staff, wait staff and many other staff members

The Daily Service Charges are an additional cost. They go toward the housekeeping staff, wait staff and many other staff members

Right now our service charges are listed at $189. I thought this was for the housekeeping, waitstaff etc...

Are you saying we pay the $189 + whatever the other charges end up being?? If that is the case what is the $189 for?

Right now our service charges are listed at $189. I thought this was for the housekeeping, waitstaff etc...

Are you saying we pay the $189 + whatever the other charges end up being?? If that is the case what is the $189 for?

you already paid those at booking.

Terri Lee

$189 is the 18% gratuity on the retail price of the ultimate drink package (which retails for $79 per person per day).

Once onboard you will be subject to 13.50 per person per day as the service charge for your room steward, the cooks, various staff you don't see, etc.

$189 is the 18% gratuity on the retail price of the ultimate drink package (which retails for $79 per person per day).

Once onboard you will be subject to 13.50 per person per day as the service charge for your room steward, the cooks, various staff you don't see, etc.

We already paid our Guest fare, gov tax port exp fees, and beverage service charge@$99pp- the UBP was our free at sea choice.

I called NCL and the $189 is for gratuities. We have the option to pre pay now our at the end of the cruise. Once these are paid there will be no other additional gratuity charges unless we were go to the spa or something like that and have added gratuities.

We already paid our Guest fare, gov tax port exp fees, and beverage service charge@$99pp- the UBP was our free at sea choice.

I called NCL and the $189 is for gratuities. We have the option to pre pay now our at the end of the cruise. Once these are paid there will be no other additional gratuity charges unless we were go to the spa or something like that and have added gratuities.

The daily service charge is not included in what you listed . It is roughly $13 per person per day. It is for the housekeepers etc.

We sail on Saturday and I would like to pre pay our service charges.

We already paid our Guest fare, gov tax port exp fees, and beverage service charge@$99pp-

the UBP was our free at sea choice.

I called NCL and the $189 is for gratuities.

We have the option to pre pay now our at the end of the cruise.

Once these are paid there will be no other additional gratuity charges unless we were go to the spa or something like that and have added gratuities.

dmac37, You are correct...

Just pay the DSC at the end of your cruise, or rather, weeks later when you get your Credit Card bill.

Why would one want to give NCL the "convenience" of a payoff in advance?

Let the DSC(Daily Service Charge) be placed on your Credit Card, then pay it later.

Edited by $hip$hape

As you have stated, that $189 is the 18% gratuities charged for that beverage package. Those gratuities are for the bartenders. You can prepay it and, as the NCL rep said, there will be no additional gratuities due -- for drinks. That is not the DSC -- Daily Service Charge -- for stewards, waiters, etc. If you do not ALSO prepay the DSC it will be added each day to your onboard account. But as $hip$hape said, you can wait and pay that DSC as part of your onboard account bill on your credit card after your cruise.

Edited by NMLady

dmac37, You are correct...

Just pay the DSC at the end of your cruise, or rather, weeks later when you get your Credit Card bill.

Why would one want to give NCL the "convenience" of a payoff in advance?

Let the DSC(Daily Service Charge) be placed on your Credit Card, then pay it later.

Dmac is not correct about what the $189 is for. It is only for the 18% gratuities on the beverage package. It is bartenders gratuities. It is NOT the DSC.

Edited by NMLady

As you have stated, that $189 is the 18% gratuities charged for that beverage package. You can prepay it and, as the NCL rep said, there will be no additional gratuities due -- for drinks. That is not the DSC -- Daily Service Charge. If you do not ALSO prepay the DSC it will be added each day to your onboard account.

That is not correct. On my paid statement it shows $99pp paid for the beverage service charge, that is in print.

The $189 is for gratuities that can be paid pre cruise or not. Does this not seem correct?

That is not correct. On my paid statement it shows $99pp paid for the beverage service charge, that is in print.

The $189 is for gratuities that can be paid pre cruise or not. Does this not seem correct?

You need to re-read post #9.

The $189 is the $99pp beverage service bartender gratuities as your paid statement shows.

Those gratuities are completely different from the Daily Service Charge which are the gratuities for room steward, waiters, and a few more but not bartenders. The DSC will be added daily to your onboard account.

Edited by NMLady

Here is what it states on my NCL summary in regards to paying the $189 service charge:

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $13.50 USD per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $189.00 USD for all guests, for your entire cruise. Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax

Here is what it states on my NCL summary in regards to paying the $189 service charge:

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $13.50 USD per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $189.00 USD for all guests, for your entire cruise. Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax

Yes. But you paid 18% of the value of the beverage package, not the DSC.

Notice that your paid statement shows that the $189 is the $99pp gratuity on the beverage package. It does not say it is the Daily Service Charge.

Edited by NMLady

Yes. But you paid 18% of the value of the beverage package, not the DSC.

Notice that your paid statement shows that the $189 is the $99pp gratuity on the beverage package. It does not say it is the Daily Service Charge.

The gratuity on my statement that has been paid is $198 total for the beverage package gratuities for 2 people.

The $189 yet to be paid is the daily service charge for gratuities for on ship(nothing to do with the beverage package), this can be paid now or later.

Other than the $189 that I will pay, there should be no other gratuity service charges, correct?

I agree with the others who question the benefit of prepaying the daily service charge.

I understand NCL asking for the tips up front....why not?

But do you tip your waiter before you order in your local restaurant?

What if you are less than happy with your stateroom steward? Do you get a refund?

Paying $13/person/day comes out to less than when I would give the room steward

and wait staff tips at the end of the cruise so I'm fine with it.

I give those that give me personal attention, like the room steward and bar tenders, extra $$.

The crew work very hard and I'm glad that they are being taken care of....

BUT....

4,266 passengers at $13.50/day X 7 days = $403,137

Divided by 1,733 crew = $232.62

Is that really how it works? The maintenance crew, desk staff, steward, bar tenders

all get an equal cut?

I was told by another passenger that the camp counselors don't get a piece of the $13.50

as not all passengers use the kids club.

People book cruises months and years in advance and paying off all the expenses you can before the cruise comes in handy. The service charge is not like a local restaurant tip. It is going to be paid one way or the other. Getting it done beforehand is a convenience I love when looking at my final bill after the cruise.

Apparently you can dictate how the DSC gets handed out if you have bad service but I have never done this.

I pay ours in advance so I don't have to worry about it later. I budget my cruises out over many months (yes, even with sailing in the Haven/Suites), and aside from butler, concierge, SpA, and youth staff gratuities, the more I have paid off in advance, the better. Our grate for our upcoming cruise came to $438. Paid them last month, since I know I won't be reducing DSC. my shore excursions are also paid for in advance, as much as possible.

I also pay my service charge prior to cruising:

1. Works for my budgeting style

2. Makes the cruise fully paid for in advance

3. The charge hits daily, final bill is easier to read w/o those daily line items

$189 is DSC for two passengers on a 7 night cruise with NCL ($94.50pp)

Edited by Nola26