Recommendations for last-minute "back up" excursions?

ams cruiser

We have booked two excursions for our August 2017 Alaska cruise that I understand have a fair chance of being cancelled due to weather conditions: Helicopter/dog sledding on Herbert Glacier with Coastal in Juneau, and Misty Fjords Float plane (for my husband) in Ketchikan.

Several posters advise having back-up plans, but I'm wondering what excursions would still be available (and recommended) at the last minute in Juneau and Ketchikan.

We will be in Juneau from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Ketchikan from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Our Juneau helicopter excursion is scheduled for around noon, and the Ketchikan floatplane at 9 a.m. I imagine that any cancellations due to weather would be pretty last minute, so I'm wondering what options would be available to us.

"Active" excursions like zip-lining and kayaking are outside of our wheelhouse, and, while my husband has great "sea legs", I'm a little wary about getting on a small boat for whale watching, even with my faithful friend, Bonine!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We had a helicopter/dog sled tour booked for our Ketchikan stop several yrs ago. I never thought to have a back up plan. We were still able to take the helicopter ride, but just were not able to dog sled. For me the dog sledding was what I really wanted to do and was quite disappointed. Weather conditions are weather conditions, though, and there is nothing you can do about it. Smart of you to have a back up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had a helicopter/dog sled tour booked for our Ketchikan stop several yrs ago. I never thought to have a back up plan. We were still able to take the helicopter ride, but just were not able to dog sled. For me the dog sledding was what I really wanted to do and was quite disappointed. Weather conditions are weather conditions, though, and there is nothing you can do about it. Smart of you to have a back up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Did your helicopter company offer you the alternative of a lengthier ride?

I hope we can come up with a good back up plan, as so many of the excursions that I have read about seem to get book up early!

To be honest I do not remember. We were supposed to dog sled on the glacier. The summer had been to warm and there was too much melting on the glaciers. This created larger crevices in the glaciers and thus the reason the sledding was cancelled. We still landed on the glaciers and hiked, but can't recall if the overall length of our tour was changed. Sorry!

I am a big fan of having back up plans.

Because the dog sled camp is in only in one spot per company sometimes they can't get there but can fly to other stops without the dogs ie lower, different winds etc. Check other Coastal trips before on what might be offered and contact them for questions about price adjustments. The Coastal terminal is about 45 min from town and 10-15 drive to Mendenhall Glacier so cab to and bus back (if before 6pm) is one idea. The tram ride from downtown is very easy and worthwhile if you can see the top from lower terminal. There is a dog sled cart on dirt tour out of town a little ways. We generally rent a car to make the most of our time and get out of the rain a little better.

In Ketch look into taking bus to Totem Bright park. Have print out of bus schedule plus what each totem means and know what is in the area near park. Also look into Ranger tour of area closer to downtown.

Go to local library and find the latest Alaska Milepost for more ideas & maps. I wouldn't go back much past 2013 but should be ok. AAA guidebook?

If over age 62 bring National Park Golden Age pass for reduced/free entrance.

Forgot about the Alaska Museum in Juneau which is now open after long rehab.

Edited by SightCRR
add museum

To be honest I do not remember. We were supposed to dog sled on the glacier. The summer had been to warm and there was too much melting on the glaciers. This created larger crevices in the glaciers and thus the reason the sledding was cancelled. We still landed on the glaciers and hiked, but can't recall if the overall length of our tour was changed. Sorry!

Thanks! We'll be there at the beginning of August so I hope there won't be too much melting.

I am a big fan of having back up plans.

Because the dog sled camp is in only in one spot per company sometimes they can't get there but can fly to other stops without the dogs ie lower, different winds etc. Check other Coastal trips before on what might be offered and contact them for questions about price adjustments. The Coastal terminal is about 45 min from town and 10-15 drive to Mendenhall Glacier so cab to and bus back (if before 6pm) is one idea. The tram ride from downtown is very easy and worthwhile if you can see the top from lower terminal. There is a dog sled cart on dirt tour out of town a little ways. We generally rent a car to make the most of our time and get out of the rain a little better.

In Ketch look into taking bus to Totem Bright park. Have print out of bus schedule plus what each totem means and know what is in the area near park. Also look into Ranger tour of area closer to downtown.

Go to local library and find the latest Alaska Milepost for more ideas & maps. I wouldn't go back much past 2013 but should be ok. AAA guidebook?

If over age 62 bring National Park Golden Age pass for reduced/free entrance.

Forgot about the Alaska Museum in Juneau which is now open after long rehab.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Contacting Coastal Helicopters about what their back up plans might be is a great idea. We have the White Pass Summit Rail and Bus tour booked through Chilkoot tours in Skagway, so there is an option for a dog cart ride, if the Juneau sled dog ride doesn't pan out.

My husband has a National Park Golden Age pass, so I'll ask him to bring it. Is there somewhere he can us it in our port stops? (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan) It looks like Totem Bright Park is a state park.

NP Pass good for Mendenhall visitor center, Juneau, and South East AK Discovery Center near downtown Ketch. Good for family members also. Gold Rush Park in Skagway & Seattle also but I think those are free anyway. T/B park is a state park and next door Potlatch Park and both also free.

sightcrr

If you do the train first sit on the left going up and left on bus going down.

If you do the bus first sit on the right going up and right on the train going down.

The routes are on opposite sides of the river valley and reason for the swap.

Hopefully you will have a choice.

sightcrr

NP Pass good for Mendenhall visitor center, Juneau, and South East AK Discovery Center near downtown Ketch. Good for family members also. Gold Rush Park in Skagway & Seattle also but I think those are free anyway. T/B park is a state park and next door Potlatch Park and both also free.

sightcrr

Great to know, thanks! (My husband just used his pass on a Grand Canyon last month. It has more than paid for itself in just a few trips.)

If you do the train first sit on the left going up and left on bus going down.

If you do the bus first sit on the right going up and right on the train going down.

The routes are on opposite sides of the river valley and reason for the swap.

Hopefully you will have a choice.

sightcrr

We're doing the train first, so will try to get on the left side of the train. (I'm going to sit on the aisle, so I don't have to look straight down the drop off areas!)

Related question: Is the bus ride a potential problem for my fear of heights? If so I might try to sit on the right side (inside) going down. I have known to be a little white-knuckled even as a passenger along the HWY 1/Big Sur coastline in California.

Can't tell how you might do. Sometime my DW watches to many videos and then that adds to fears.

Here is good one of the train which show both sides.

Lots more to see if you want. Then look for bus ride down.

I like to move to platforms for no window viewing but have to switch off with others sometimes.

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

We're doing the train first, so will try to get on the left side of the train. (I'm going to sit on the aisle, so I don't have to look straight down the drop off areas!)

Related question: Is the bus ride a potential problem for my fear of heights? If so I might try to sit on the right side (inside) going down.

Thoughts...

• the White Pass trail is just 18 inches wide. In most segments... you need to be against the window to see it below you.
  • Get the window seat when you board.... I'm sure there are those who are willing to swap seats with you if the height is too much. If you have your eyes closed against the window.... no one will know.
  • With the bus ride.... white is right.... red is dead. Make sure the driver stays on the white side of the signage. The bus moves faster than the train.

[YOUTUBE]0xHCn0IkjUE[/YOUTUBE] dsc03234-e1406663172625.jpg?w=660

Edited by xlxo

Can't tell how you might do. Sometime my DW watches to many videos and then that adds to fears.

Here is good one of the train which show both sides.

Lots more to see if you want. Then look for bus ride down.

I like to move to platforms for no window viewing but have to switch off with others sometimes.

sightcrr

Thanks for linking the video. I watched it, and a few others, and I think I'll be all right on the train. I couldn't find any good videos of the bus/van ride down, although from the train view it appeared as though the right side of the road across the canyon would be the one closest to any drop offs???

I can see how the platforms would be great for vistas, but too scary for me!

Thoughts...

• the White Pass trail is just 18 inches wide. In most segments... you need to be against the window to see it below you.
  • Get the window seat when you board.... I'm sure there are those who are willing to swap seats with you if the height is too much. If you have your eyes closed against the window.... no one will know.
  • With the bus ride.... white is right.... red is dead. Make sure the driver stays on the white side of the signage. The bus moves faster than the train.

[YOUTUBE]0xHCn0IkjUE[/YOUTUBE] dsc03234-e1406663172625.jpg?w=660

Thanks for the video link. It was helpful. I think I'll be okay as long as I look out and not straight down. And if I find myself closing my eyes, I will gladly give up my aisle seat to someone who would better appreciate it!

As the the second picture, not sure what this is about: A picture of a White Pass train derailment? Is this a common occurrence? (We're booked on a helicopter trip as well, and I'm making a point not to look at any pictures of crashes!)

"Red is dead"? Is this the color of the lane line...right before you drive off a cliff? We're booked with Chilkoot tours, and I would hope that the driver would know not to speed or drive on the wrong side of the signage. If not, I really wouldn't want to go on the tour to begin with!:eek:

Taking all of this into consideration, would it be better for us to book the bus/van going up (assuming the vehicle would be on the inside of the road), and take the train down?

The road is across the canyon from the train, so going north the best seats on the van would be on the right side; going south, try to grab a seat on the van's left side.

We did the van/train ride first (with Chilkoot) but found we enjoyed the van ride much more than the train, because we got to stop in many beautiful places. The following year we chose to ride the van both ways. I never felt the slightest fear in the van. No view is as dramatic as the drop-off view from the train, but the scenery all along the roadway is incredible.

View from the van while stopped along the road:

03%20-%20Bear%20on%20Chilkoot%20Charters%20Tour-S.jpg

At one of the rest stops:

IMG_0739-S.jpg

The road is across the canyon from the train, so going north the best seats on the van would be on the right side; going south, try to grab a seat on the van's left side.

We did the van/train ride first (with Chilkoot) but found we enjoyed the van ride much more than the train, because we got to stop in many beautiful places. The following year we chose to ride the van both ways. I never felt the slightest fear in the van. No view is as dramatic as the drop-off view from the train, but the scenery all along the roadway is incredible.

View from the van while stopped along the road:

03%20-%20Bear%20on%20Chilkoot%20Charters%20Tour-S.jpg

At one of the rest stops:

IMG_0739-S.jpg

Your pictures are great! Despite my fears, I am really looking forward to the trip.

I'm sorry if I am being dense (!), but just want to make sure I am understanding what you are saying. (Not sure what north/south is on this drive.) I'll try to ask my questions in a way that aren't too confusing. If the van is returning back down to Skagway, is it driving in an outside lane, in which case the best (and scariest for me) views would be from the right side of the van? If this is the case, I'm thinking it might be better to take the van up and the train back.

Either way, I know I'll love the trip. I just don't want to be "white-knuckled" for the van ride down. We live in northern California. I am fine going northbound on HWY 1 along the coast because we aren't in the outside lane. Traveling southbound in the outside lane, especially along the beautiful Big Sur coast, is a bit of a nail-biter for me, especially as a passenger. It's an unreasonable fear, I know, but unfortunately, a reality for me.

I would recommend leaving it the way you have it train first then bus. On the train many people ride up and down on the train and so that people don't hear the explanations of what you are seeing twice often the explanations are only going up so if you ride the bus first you miss the train and area info. Then on the ride down if you sit on the left you can easily see across one lane of traffic to the river valley. Train almost never comes off the track.

sightcrr

If you google map Skagway to Whitehorse (you don't go that far but gets you on the correct road) then do street view and rotate view left and right you can see what the road is like.

Edited by SightCRR

Your pictures are great! Despite my fears, I am really looking forward to the trip.

I'm sorry if I am being dense (!), but just want to make sure I am understanding what you are saying. (Not sure what north/south is on this drive.) I'll try to ask my questions in a way that aren't too confusing. If the van is returning back down to Skagway, is it driving in an outside lane, in which case the best (and scariest for me) views would be from the right side of the van? If this is the case, I'm thinking it might be better to take the van up and the train back.

Either way, I know I'll love the trip. I just don't want to be "white-knuckled" for the van ride down. We live in northern California. I am fine going northbound on HWY 1 along the coast because we aren't in the outside lane. Traveling southbound in the outside lane, especially along the beautiful Big Sur coast, is a bit of a nail-biter for me, especially as a passenger. It's an unreasonable fear, I know, but unfortunately, a reality for me.

The road between Skagway and Carcross (the South Klondike Highway) is absolutely NOTHING like Highway 1 in Northern California. It is more like driving on Highway 101. Look at these pictures and see if they don't make you feel a little better: https://www.google.com/search?q=south+klondike+highway&rlz=1CAACAO_enUS699US699&espv=2&biw=1093&bih=540&tbm=isch&imgil=DMU5RJQQuo8aHM%253A%253BWz-7Vpw_Q6A-9M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.alamy.com%25252Fstock-photo%25252Fsouth-klondike-highway.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=DMU5RJQQuo8aHM%253A%252CWz-7Vpw_Q6A-9M%252C_&usg=__hzZW4_C6IWi964R38ui9M1Rjo6M%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjgy7ijr8XQAhVPwWMKHbeUDbUQyjcIUQ&ei=pPI4WODpHM-CjwO3qbaoCw#tbm=isch&q=south+klondike+highway

As the the second picture, not sure what this is about: A picture of a White Pass train derailment? Is this a common occurrence? (We're booked on a helicopter trip as well, and I'm making a point not to look at any pictures of crashes!)

"Red is dead"? Is this the color of the lane line...right before you drive off a cliff?

The second image was from a July 2014 derailment. Anything can happen to add to the thrills...

http://wpyr.com/white-pass-statement-on-train-derailment/

On the Klondike highway, you see road markers red & white markers to indicate where the edge of the road can be found. Very important in deep snow.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@59.5975249,-135.1835858,3a,24.5y,345.78h,89.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0OL1gKbggJ40pS2aIfAS2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This helps a lot! HWY 101 I can do. Hwy 1 not so much.

The pictures do make me feel much better.

Thank you!

I would recommend leaving it the way you have it train first then bus. On the train many people ride up and down on the train and so that people don't hear the explanations of what you are seeing twice often the explanations are only going up so if you ride the bus first you miss the train and area info. Then on the ride down if you sit on the left you can easily see across one lane of traffic to the river valley. Train almost never comes off the track.

sightcrr

If you google map Skagway to Whitehorse (you don't go that far but gets you on the correct road) then do street view and rotate view left and right you can see what the road is like.

Thanks, this sounds like a plan! Great suggestion about using the Google Map route. I'm not very skilled at using GM, but I was able to get street views of different parts of the highway.

The second image was from a July 2014 derailment. Anything can happen to add to the thrills...

http://wpyr.com/white-pass-statement-on-train-derailment/

On the Klondike highway, you see road markers red & white markers to indicate where the edge of the road can be found. Very important in deep snow.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@59.5975249,-135.1835858,3a,24.5y,345.78h,89.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0OL1gKbggJ40pS2aIfAS2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Interesting seeing the markers without snow. I would have wondered what they were for, had I not read your explanation.

Regarding the derailment picture - I'm trying very hard to "un-see" this image in my mind. :eek: