The Beach Bungalow Conundrum

Hey All -

We have recently been surprised by my brother and his family making a decision to join us on our cruise on the Freedom of the Seas in March.

This is truly exciting for us as it is their first cruise and its our first cruise with family. It just really has made it that much more fun.

One of the challenges my brothers family faces is that his wife has Spina Bifida which really has never slowed her down one bit. She is a firecracker and full of energy. Unfortunately getting around sometimes can be challenging and when we spend time with them we just need to take some extra time to plan out where and how we are going to do things.

One of the challenging ports for us would be Labadee as beaches don't typically lend themselves to wheelchairs. I know they have services there at Labadee to help out but we thought that a great way to spend the day there would be to rent a Bungalow and then we would have a place to land, it would be close to the buffet and the kids could spend the day running around the island while adults could enjoy the peace, quiet and shade.

The conundrum is that there are 6 of us in my family and my brother has his wife and 3yo daughter. So that would make 9 of us all together and from what I read on the RCI website the Bungalow only allows 8ppl.

Normally we would never get a Bungalow as we would be all over the island swimming, snorkeling, seeing the market and just would never spend any time in it.

So - if you've read the novel up to this point - what we are trying to figure out is how "strict" they are with the bungalows. I don't think the kids would spend any time there other then to check in and let us know where they are going and then maybe swing by at lunch. I just didn't know if it was a "roped off" area that they checked your cards to get in and out of or if there was a guard and you needed wristbands to enter or if its more "open" and people can walk through the area and play in the beach out front without having to be in the "Party of 8"

Not trying to beat the system just trying to get an idea of what the best way is to make use of the bungalow if we get one.

I appreciate any good perspectives and solutions for this one... thanks.

-Sean

Honestly, I'd probably take a chance. If all else fails a couple family members can set up shop just outside the bungalow area on the beach on loungers and still be close enough to hang with the family. We've got one on the Dec 9th Navigator sailing. I'll try to remember to report back on what I notice.

Edited by goodml

Not sure if this helps but we had a suite when we had a cabana at Coco Cay. When we checked in the first time. The crew member checked his list and gave us wrist bands. I also wanted to see if my two teenage nieces could join my already 6 max group. As I introduce myself and shock his hand. Their was a $50. Needless to say, there was not a problem. So at the end of the day. Did he let them in because of me being in a suite, him just being very nice, or my thank you I showed him when I first got there. Who know. I hoped for the best but was expecting then worst. It worked out for me. Best of luck and Happy Cruising!!!!!

Edited by BlueSkySailing