Frankfurt dock?

Second seating

The Chritmas market is centered on the Römerberg and the surrounding area in the town centre. It is a walk from the embankment but very doable. However, as I do not know where the ships dock I think you will need to wait for other cruisers to come up with an answer for specific distances. Alternatively, have a look at this website: http://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/en/Discover-Experience/Events/Festivals-in-Frankfurt/Frankfurt-Christmas-Market There is a small map to guide you. It also gives the address of the organizers. You could phone them up or send an email.

Remember to get this year's special edition Glühwein mug. :)

Frankfurt market will be quite crowded, especially in the evening, but I am sure you will enjoy the atmosphere. It is a very nice setting at the Römerberg.

notamermaid

I know from past posts that river cruise ships do not necessarily dock close to Strasbourg city centre. I have read of shuttle options. As there are quite a few cruisers on Viking on this board heading to the Rhine Christmas markets you might get a good answer on the roll call threads where there is often great information about such details.

Have fun at the market.

notamermaid

In 2013, we were scheduled to dock about 3 blocks from the Christmas market but a private mega-yacht muscled its way into the spot so we ended up about 7 blocks away. It took an extra hour to dock and the captain was furious. It is possible to have a good docking but depends on river traffic and political clout. Good Luck!

Edited by xmaser
add info

I know from past posts that river cruise ships do not necessarily dock close to Strasbourg city centre. I have read of shuttle options. As there are quite a few cruisers on Viking on this board heading to the Rhine Christmas markets you might get a good answer on the roll call threads where there is often great information about such details.

Have fun at the market.

notamermaid

Thank you, notamermaid, for your timely answer. I really appreciate your "on the scene" perspective from the Rhineland! We are actually booked for next year on Avalon's Basel-Amsterdam cruise, but I am managing the long wait by exploring plans and details. I have started a Roll Call for 2017 Christmas market cruises.

Strictly speaking, what tourists regard as Strasbourg is not on the Rhine, the old town is on the Ill. The outskirts and the harbour area extend to the Rhine, so the town agglomeration or district, whatever it may be called, is on the Rhine. I assume no river cruise company would expect you to walk the distance from the harbour to the town centre, would be bad service. Past river cruisers have reported beind docked in Kehl, on the opposite bank of the Rhine. There is a bridge, so transport is easy, if the ship shuttle is inconvenient you can always get a taxi or local transport, but others can tell you more about that.

Had not realised you are going next year. No harm in starting planning early. :)

notamermaid