Handicap access at Port Everglades

MrSchwump

My wife recently had knee surgery on one knee and will have surgery on the other after our cruise. Does Princess offer handicap access at Port Everglades? She can't stand for very long and a seating area while she waits would be helpful. Does such a thing exist at PE?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you get to the port before boarding begins?

When you get to the port, there will be benches. If your wife sits there, one of the port stewards will let you know about how long it will take for them to bring you a wheelchair. They will bring her in, help her get through security, get checked in and take her to one of four areas to be seated (the general boarding area, the Platinum area, the Elite/Suite area, or sometimes they have a designated waiting room for people who require assistance.) She will probably not remain in the chair- as they have to use it for others.

Once they begin to board the ship, it will be Elite/ Suites, those requiring assistance, Platinum, and then general boarding. You will be way up in the queue, as your wife will have someone pushing her. Once you all get to the place where they take your boarding photo, then one of the ship's crew will push her all the way to your stateroom- then return the chair.

I hope this helps... :)

My wife recently had knee surgery on one knee and will have surgery on the other after our cruise. Does Princess offer handicap access at Port Everglades? She can't stand for very long and a seating area while she waits would be helpful. Does such a thing exist at PE?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is where Princess fails miserably. When you get there they will tell you to sit around the corner but the problem is that you will not find room because the people getting off and waiting for transportation are all sitting on the benches and you will have a long wait until they bring you a wheel chair because the demand is high, then you will go after checkin to a waiting area with a # and wait until someone else comes to get you. On other lines wheel chair people get on the ship before general boarding but not on Princess. GOOD LUCK it may be better to get there after 1PM.

Edited by riclop

Best bet is get a walker with wheels that has a seat. It will make it much easier for your wife to get around and she will have a seat no matter where she is. We bought one for my mom and, even though she was initially adverse to using it, she thought it was great after having it for a while.