Our notes from Harmony, 11/19-26

alfaeric

We, too, just got off of Harmony yesterday, and to not take away from other's experiences, here are ours.

This is our 4th on this class of ships, and we tried to make it different, as we were eating a different diet going into it. (what it is- is irrelevant, but we did quite well and quite easily)

Start with the food- for all dinners, we ate early- 6pm pretty much each night.

We did Jamies on the first night- had a great meal of what we wanted. Thankfully, we were among the first, so the service was quite quick. Food was great.

Chops on night 2- while our reservation was early, we got slotted behind a few really large groups. Appetizers came out at a normal pace, the main food was pretty slow- our servers and the manager stopped by to apologize, but we saw a group where a few were unhappy for some reason- so their re-do got in front of our food. In the end, the quality of the food more than made up for the wait- both of our steaks were outstanding. And, as we have found, the veggies were done perfectly.

Night 3 and 5 were Solarium Bistro. We did this spot as we were not able to use Coastal Kitchen even with a JS (as we were able to on the Anthem- so that was disappointing). Past experiences made us a little uneasy, but this one was clearly better than the past- the evening decor was much nicer, and the food tasted a lot better. Even so, it can be better- unless you can't eat salt, the food is still bland compared to the MDR. Getting better, but not great.

Thanksgiving was the one time we ate in the MDR- and our service was really great. Food was well prepared and hot, served in a great pace, water was looked on, and our wine glasses were filled with our bottle. One of the better MDR experiences we've had, which was nice considering everyone was getting Thanksgiving dinner.

The last night, we did some snacks in the Diamond Lounge, and then some apps at Vintages. Vintages has small plates from Jamie's, so they were great. Service was a little slow, as we sat outside, and there were a lot inside.

BTW, with our schedule, we only went into the DL a few times, it's not too big on deck 4, but we never had a problem getting a drink. The Checker was a fun concierge, maybe he liked us as we just wanted to BS with him and had no demands for him. They used the attic as overflow for the +600 D and D+ members on board.

Shows: All in all great.

Grease- we enjoyed it, but not as much as we hoped for. One thing to bear in mind, the musical is NOT the movie. Close, but not the same. And we thought some of the characters were not as "powerful" as they should have been.

Columbus was a blast. Two notes- it's silly, so if you are prepared for that and some really funny silliness- you will really enjoy it. Second- don't sit up front. The props and background were a key part of the story, and you want to see as much as you can.

the Fine Line was spectacular. Just utterly amazing. We saw it 3 times from different spots- which was really good since there's so much to see. With two shows not having reservations- we were ok finding other locations for different angles. One part of the show was REALLY unexpected, too. On a moving ship with wind. Holy cow.

The other dive show was a spoof, which we enjoyed, but just needed to see once. Fun, for sure.

1887 was good, but to me, the story seemed to take away from what the skaters could do. The tech and video addition was really cool- you have to see it to understand, but that added a LOT to it. Still- based on other ice shows, I was hoping for more skating and less story.

iSkate was better, as it was more a skating exhibition. You could tell that the sheet is bigger than on other ships.

The other live shows were great- bigger band, jazz quartet, guitarist, live comedy, etc. Thankfully, there's a lot of live performances on the ship all of the time.

The ports have been gone over many times, but I will again suggest people get off the beaten path in Cozumel- we go to the mercado for lunch. Which was REALLY good, a lot, and cheap ($16). We also did an excursion in FLL, as we had a late flight. Started slow thanks to some getting off the ship slowly (no idea why). The tour was really good (Miami- and we got to see some happy people in Little Havana)- BUT- the "locker" was pretty messy- and our luggage and my clothing got a lot of soot on it. Yuk.

All in all, we had a great cruise, great service, and would not hesitate to do it again. Too bad that it does not appear in our near future...

Did you hear of anyone doing"chef's table?"

How was the main act?

Anything your thought you might want to bring next time for harmony?

We kept to ourselves, and never looked into a Chef's Table experience. We've done it before.

The headliner was a Journey tribute band. They played well- not Journey, but good. But if you don't like Journey- which a lot of people didn't, it isn't great. I know the headliner changes a lot- as they got on board in Falmouth.

Bring next time? Less. We over packed a little.

I forgot to mention that I did everything but the zip line- and loved it. Waverider, water slides, abyss- all really fun. Even did the carousel twice:D.

Thanks for the review. Was dinner at Coastal Kitchen fully booked ? Just wondering why you couldn't dine there for dinner.

Thanks!

Right. We are in a JS HOTS 1-28-2016. Looking forward to going to Costal Kitchen for dinner. Someone posted a Daily Planner HOTS Day 1 Saturday November 26 and it shows Costal Kitchen dinner Grand Suites and above only. That can't be right, right???

Right. We are in a JS HOTS 1-28-2016. Looking forward to going to Costal Kitchen for dinner. Someone posted a Daily Planner HOTS Day 1 Saturday November 26 and it shows Costal Kitchen dinner Grand Suites and above only. That can't be right, right???

The website still shows junior suites get access to CK for dinner. We loved it on the Allure.

This is troubling. I was looking forward to booking a JS on Allure, primarily for Coastal Kitchen. JS's are supposed to be able to book it, not maybe be able to book it.

:(:confused:

Thanks for the review. Was dinner at Coastal Kitchen fully booked ? Just wondering why you couldn't dine there for dinner.

Thanks!

It was not booked- and we expected to be like the Anthem where a JS got access.

But nope. GS and up only.

It could be because KC is part of the same overall room as the Suite Lounge. So they could not let JS's have access to CK because of the SL.

We survived anyway.

dunno. haven't sailed on either since the change.

I'm just speculating. Which I know is a dangerous thing on this board.

We didn't get access with a JS, so we had to deal with it.

That's unfortunate, because a JS is a Sea Class suite and dinner at CK is listed as a perk:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Suites/16049781_RSC_Trade_Flyer.pdf

That's unfortunate, because a JS is a Sea Class suite and dinner at CK is listed as a perk:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Suites/16049781_RSC_Trade_Flyer.pdf

Hopefully, it was a mistake that will be fixed after us. I'm talking to Customer Service to mention to them that we didn't have access, and it appears that they think we should have had it.

Probably would have been better to bring it up on the ship- but we'd already gotten past it.

We were on the Harmony 11/19-26 sailing in a Junior Suite. We went to the Diamond Concierge (Chekar) and he had no problem getting a table at Coastal Kitchen for us. Use the Concierge - he even got us into a supposedly booked 150 Central Park.

By the way, CK was really good. Try the crab cakes and the lamb.

We were on the Harmony 11/19-26 sailing in a Junior Suite. We went to the Diamond Concierge (Chekar) and he had no problem getting a table at Coastal Kitchen for us. Use the Concierge - he even got us into a supposedly booked 150 Central Park.

By the way, CK was really good. Try the crab cakes and the lamb.

I considered that, but by then, it was not something we should have needed to do.

Plus, for anyone in a JS that isn't D or D+, that option isn't available.

And there should not be signs that say that it's only for GS and up guests plus we should at least be able to go inside to make reservations. Let alone make reservations prior to the cruise. All of that were working properly on Anthem a month ago.

In other words, one should not *have* to do something special to get access to something you should have as a feature to your cabin.

(we probably would have only eaten there once- the second Solarium Bistro night, *maybe* would have had Thanksgiving there, but we had a great time in the MDR for that night.)

Going to be very disappointed if this happens to us in 10 days. We were told JS get access to the dinner only in CK.

Not that I think one should *have* to, but you may have to go to guest services to make reservations.

Again, we moved on, but I checked into it after some comments. They haven't gotten back to me, other than suggesting that we should have gone to guest services...

Whereas on the Anthem, we were able to make reservations before the cruise...

Not that I think one should *have* to, but you may have to go to guest services to make reservations.

Again, we moved on, but I checked into it after some comments. They haven't gotten back to me, other than suggesting that we should have gone to guest services...

Whereas on the Anthem, we were able to make reservations before the cruise...

From what I have read of other people's experiences in JS's they have had to knock on the suite lounge for or wait for someone to open it and follow them in. Definitely a poor set up.

I did get a call back. Since we could not go into CK, we were supposed to go to guest services or a concierge.

I suggested that they add access to CK to JS guests, so that we don't have to wait in line for GS to get reservations- which also addresses the guests who are not D or D+. I also suggested that it be added to the IQ app- again, they know we are JS guests.

Not sure if they will be done.

So if you are going on the Harmony- you can:

1) Go to Guest Services to make reservations

2) IF you are D or D+, ask the concierge to make reservations

or

3) wait at the door for someone to let you in to make reservations.

Hopefully, they fix this for future cruisers. We really loved CK on the Anthem, and want to be able to go when it's available.

In the daily compass is lists the CK as GS and up. I still have my compass but there is a post with picts of them. We ate there once before the 7:30 grease show (it was ho hum.. the show that is the CK was great ;)

Others in our group went to CK for breakfast and really liked it over the WJ.

CEH in MD