Having really hard time deciding...

geegeewhiz

First off, I would like to thank you all for your helpful replies, I love this forum!

We went on our first ever cruise this past April on the Navigator and we had a blast! We loved the ports, especially Labadee, it was so relaxing! While onboard, I booked Oasis for April '17, same itinerary as last and have been looking forward to it... HOWEVER...

I began looking at flights, and they are between $2000-$3000 for me, DH,DS, and DD!!! I spoke to RC agent and she said it is because its Holy Week, I didn't even consider that (I paid $800 for all 4 of us last April), not sure if I am looking too early, RC agent said prices will likely not change.

So I booked Navigator again, this time out of Miami, which flights seem cheaper. I like NOS, but I am saddened, because 1. everywhere I look, Nassau gets horrible reviews, and 2. I was looking forward to the 4 port stops, the new itinerary gets off only in Nassau and Cozumel and is 5 nights vs 7 night Oasis, no Labadee :( good thing is, we got a Jr suite, which I am looking forward to the extra space. Still, something in me is not too excited about this trip.

I began looking at other ships, and found Celebrity Reflection, out of Miami as well, going to the same ports I wanted, HOWEVER, from what I read, Celebrity is more snooty (not my words), and not for children? My #1 goal is for my kids to have fun, and for all of us to relax like we did on NOS and not feel intimidated on Celebrity.

Sorry, for the long post. Basically, I'm trying to choose between NOS 5 night Nassau and Cozumel jr suite, vs Celebrity Reflection, 7 night, cozumel, labadee, falmouth, grand cayman. If anyone can offer advice to help me make a decision, I truly appreciate it!

First off, I would like to thank you all for your helpful replies, I love this forum!

We went on our first ever cruise this past April on the Navigator and we had a blast! We loved the ports, especially Labadee, it was so relaxing! While onboard, I booked Oasis for April '17, same itinerary as last and have been looking forward to it... HOWEVER...

I began looking at flights, and they are between $2000-$3000 for me, DH,DS, and DD!!! I spoke to RC agent and she said it is because its Holy Week, I didn't even consider that (I paid $800 for all 4 of us last April), not sure if I am looking too early, RC agent said prices will likely not change.

So I booked Navigator again, this time out of Miami, which flights seem cheaper. I like NOS, but I am saddened, because 1. everywhere I look, Nassau gets horrible reviews, and 2. I was looking forward to the 4 port stops, the new itinerary gets off only in Nassau and Cozumel and is 5 nights vs 7 night Oasis, no Labadee :( good thing is, we got a Jr suite, which I am looking forward to the extra space. Still, something in me is not too excited about this trip.

I began looking at other ships, and found Celebrity Reflection, out of Miami as well, going to the same ports I wanted, HOWEVER, from what I read, Celebrity is more snooty (not my words), and not for children? My #1 goal is for my kids to have fun, and for all of us to relax like we did on NOS and not feel intimidated on Celebrity.

Sorry, for the long post. Basically, I'm trying to choose between NOS 5 night Nassau and Cozumel jr suite, vs Celebrity Reflection, 7 night, cozumel, labadee, falmouth, grand cayman. If anyone can offer advice to help me make a decision, I truly appreciate it!

Just a few personal comments re Celebrity...we cruise both lines...

The positives for us on Celebrity are we find the ships much quieter, calmer and relaxing, the food better and some of the suite rooms we prefer to RC choices. We don't find it snooty at all!

The down side to Celebrity in comparison to RC is the entertainment and activities (no wall climbing, zip lines, flow riders). There is a lawn where you can play boules, croquet and other lawn games.

Can I suggest you also post this on the Celebrity site stating the ages of your children and ask Celebrity cruisers about the children's clubs and facilities for children? Although there are less children on Celebrity they always look as if they are having a good time!

Whatever you choose have a great family holiday!

Edited by chemmo

I would say go ahead and book the Reflection. Celebrity is AWESOME.

I don't know what your kids are like, or how old they are, but for my pre-teens the highlight of cruising is all the food/open buffet/ice cream, hanging out by the pool, and doing fun beachy things at each port stop. They actually spend time with us on a cruise.

Yup, Celebrity will be lacking in water slides and bumper cars and rock walls. But- there are ping pong tables, a basketball court, and a game room. Oh- and they do have kids clubs if your kids want more structured activities.

For the right itinerary and cheaper airfare this is a no-brainer. Just watch out...once you go Celebrity you might not go back. Better food, better service, fewer crowds...and no, nobody is "snooty". You have to go up a few cruise lines to hit the real exclusive people. ;)

PS- Every day in the buffet, Celebrity has home-made, hard scoop ice cream in flavors that change from day to day. Delicious. Oh, and made to order omelets for breakfast that are great...

Edited to add: check cruise cal dot com to see what ships are in port with you on the Reflection cruise. In my opinion, Labadee would stink if you were there with another ship- too crowded!

Edited by micmacmissy

There are so many options, why are you only considering those? I cruise with kids, and I prefer Royal Caribbean for the many things. Did you consider other cruise lines? Carnival Breeze is great for kids. RC also has ships from NJ, if air cost is a concern. Just saying....don't settle and be disappointed - you'll find exactly what you want!!

What about doing Liberty out of Galveston, which goes to a combination of Cozumel, Jamaica, grand Cayman, Honduras and Belize (I may have left out an island). The ship is similar to Navigator, and it's a 7 night. Sailing from Galveston is kind of a hassle because of the hour long trip between Houston airport and Galveston, but the flights to Texas might be a lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are so many options, why are you only considering those? I cruise with kids, and I prefer Royal Caribbean for the many things. Did you consider other cruise lines? Carnival Breeze is great for kids. RC also has ships from NJ, if air cost is a concern. Just saying....don't settle and be disappointed - you'll find exactly what you want!!

Since I cruised with RC, and read how much people loved it, I've only been focused on this line only. I did see the Anthem out of Bayonne, but I was thinking for first couple days everyone will be inside because it will still be a bit chilly in April...

What about doing Liberty out of Galveston, which goes to a combination of Cozumel, Jamaica, grand Cayman, Honduras and Belize (I may have left out an island). The ship is similar to Navigator, and it's a 7 night. Sailing from Galveston is kind of a hassle because of the hour long trip between Houston airport and Galveston, but the flights to Texas might be a lot cheaper.

thanks, will look into this...

Just a few personal comments re Celebrity...we cruise both lines...

The positives for us on Celebrity are we find the ships much quieter, calmer and relaxing, the food better and some of the suite rooms we prefer to RC choices. We don't find it snooty at all!

The down side to Celebrity in comparison to RC is the entertainment and activities (no wall climbing, zip lines, flow riders). There is a lawn where you can play boules, croquet and other lawn games.

Can I suggest you also post this on the Celebrity site stating the ages of your children and ask Celebrity cruisers about the children's clubs and facilities for children? Although there are less children on Celebrity they always look as if they are having a good time!

Whatever you choose have a great family holiday!

I was reading the Celebrity boards and while the older kids had a blast, it seems that younger kids (3-8, which is the age range of my kids) did not go to the kids club that often. And I saw alot of questions about, "are there many kids onboard" and replies stating that there weren't, I will post my specific question there...

another question: is Celebrity usually cheaper than RC?

I doubt there is any "usual". You might find some Celebrity cruises less expensive and some more expensive.

Edited by clarea

Don't be concerned with the weather out of Bayonne on the Anthem. It is a cold weather ship. There are 3 pools on the deck. The outdoor pool, the solarium (no kids under 16) and the indoor pool....where your kids can go if it is chilly. There are tons of "indoor" venues for your children. Check it out. The fares may be higher out of Bayonne, but you are saving $$$ on airfare and dealing with the agony of an airport. Good luck with whatever you decide. PS. I don't find Celebrity to be snooty at all. :)

Since I cruised with RC, and read how much people loved it, I've only been focused on this line only. I did see the Anthem out of Bayonne, but I was thinking for first couple days everyone will be inside because it will still be a bit chilly in April...

This is true. Took April 2016 cruise out of Bayonne with our 4 kids last year. First day out and last day back where spent at the seaplex and indoor pool. My kids had a blast on the Anthem (15, 14, 11, and 7). One of them even cried on the car ride home : ) We had 3 cabins and the 15 and 14 year old girls came and went as they pleased. Great vacation.

This is true. Took April 2016 cruise out of Bayonne with our 4 kids last year. First day out and last day back where spent at the seaplex and indoor pool. My kids had a blast on the Anthem (15, 14, 11, and 7). One of them even cried on the car ride home : ) We had 3 cabins and the 15 and 14 year old girls came and went as they pleased. Great vacation.

I'd second the Anthem (I loved the Quantum).

But did you consider looking at the Allure or the Harmony out of FLL? If you play with the flights, including Jet Blue and SWA you can get relatively cheap flights. For Holy Week 2017, I did Jet Blue with a late, night before, flight to FLL and a 7'ish (pm) return trip from JFK for about $450 pp.

Just one caveat out of Bayonne. The trip back from Nassau is over what I would consider open ocean, along the edge of the Sargasso Sea. For folks like my spouse and I in 2008, up until then used to river cruises and cruising the relatively protected waters west of the Windward Islands, "crossing the Atlantic" (as we think of it) was a bit of a shock to us.

Edited by bicker

Don't be concerned with the weather out of Bayonne on the Anthem. It is a cold weather ship. There are 3 pools on the deck. The outdoor pool, the solarium (no kids under 16) and the indoor pool....where your kids can go if it is chilly. There are tons of "indoor" venues for your children. Check it out. The fares may be higher out of Bayonne, but you are saving $$$ on airfare and dealing with the agony of an airport. Good luck with whatever you decide. PS. I don't find Celebrity to be snooty at all. :)

We;ve done this many time and I completely agree! Factor in the stress and money for flying. And your first sea day is great and you'll be busy exploring if it's a little cool. And your last sea day is a good last day of relaxation. You'll be home and still be relaxed without having the craziness of a day of travel.