luggage issues

goat rancher

So far, the cruises we have taken have been on the same coast as we are, so airflight has never been an issue. However, I keep hearing how nice the Caribbean is, and a cruise, especially one that would head on down the coast to the Panama canal, sure sounds nice.

Our problem and our question:

HOW do you folks that fly to the port, get all your luggage on the airlines. I know there are weight, and baggage number limits, and I would be afraid we would exceed those. On our last cruise (7 day), we took 2 25" bags, 1 very large coat/suit/dress bag, one 21" bag and a carry on bag....these were FULL when we left, and of course we had souvenirs, so on the way back we had several other carryon items....

Just seems to me we'd exceed the airline req. and I don't know what else to do, unless we just went naked for a few days on the cruise:):eek:

How do you all handle that?

You are not that far off. Most airlines allow two 50 lb bags of checked luggage per passenger, plus one carry on. Some allow three checked bags, some allow 70 lbs, so check with each airline that you are considering. Unless your bags are packed so heavy that they are overweight, you will be fine.

If you need to pack less, start thinking of things as "necessary" vs. "would be nice to have". Then get rid of as many "nice to haves" as needed to make weight. And yes, airlines have been known to charge for as little as 2 ounces over the limit!!!

More hints: Do laundry on ship or have it sent out. Color coordinate so you can mix and match. Take fewer shoes. Don't take those "extra" pairs of underwear or t-shirts or socks or pants or whatever. Plan on wearing your souvenir T-Shirts during the daytime on the cruise.

Our problem and our question:

HOW do you folks that fly to the port, get all your luggage on the airlines.

Careful selection of things to take is the main thing. You're travelling, not moving house. You can wear some things more than once, particularly if you use the laundry facilities.

For a 7-night Caribbean cruise, plus one night pre-cruise and one night on the flight back to the UK, I would normally reckon on bringing one suitcase weighing about 40 lbs plus one carry-on weighing about 10 lbs - less if I don't bring my dinner suit (tux).

I'd just be careful what you pack. I went to Germany last May with 1 large (25") suitcase and a backpack as a carry on. My checked bag weighed 37 pounds when I left. I took an empty duffel bag with me and used that as another carryon (they usually allow for a carry-on and a personal item and the backpack counted for a personal item) for my souvineers. Once again, on the way back, my bag weighed 37 pounds and they didn't weigh the duffel bag.

Now, in January I'm going on my first cruise (Yay!!) with two nights pre-cruise. My plan right now is for the same 25" suitcase, a smaller matching rolling suitcase for a carry-on and possibly a small backpack for a personal item and a tiny purse that can go in the backpack when going through security. I'm traveling with my mom and grandma and we'll have an empty bag set aside for souvineers on the way back and I can put some in my carryon too. I'm pretty much packed right now since I'm away at college and only have about 2 weeks at home before I go and there's only a few things left to put in. I'm not forseeing any problems with my luggage.

I'm not packing the minimum by any means although I did for Germany for 3 weeks and did laundry. I just pack by outfit and will probably throw one other outfit in just in case. We can also share toiletries and hair dryers and stuff like that so that helps.

Archived