Small Vision of the Seas Greecr family cruise

bearette

A little about my family. Husband and wife in our lower thirties with over 25 cruises to our name. This was our first diamond cruise as we travel on many lines so no one cruise line gets all our business. I was also traveling with my four year old twins for this Thanksgiving cruise.

This is my experience and my opinion so if you don't agree move along because I don't comment on negative comments. This is for your enjoyment and mine! Happy cruising!

Itinerary

Venice three days per cruise

Day two Kotor Montonegro 2-8pm

Corfu, 8-2:30

Athens, 12-8pm

Crete, 8-4pm

Argostoli, 9-4:30pm

Venice

We left LAX on an Aeroflot flight at 2:55pm. We had a stop in Moscow with a six hour layover which made our arrival for Venice 10pm. While many worry about using a Russian airline we had no complaints. we were fed twice coming over the Atlantic and once between Russia and Venice.the flight time from LAX to Moscow was 12 hours and three between Moscow and Venice. While not ideal at $550 for the adults and a little less for the kids I was happy, especially since the next cheapest flight was $200 more per person and invoked a 13 hour layover in Istanbul.

My aunt commented on my pictures and said it looked like twice the leg room her recent trip to Hawaii flight had so it was as comfortable as coach could be. This is actually the second time no flew them (see my NCL review from March 2015) and would happily again.

There weren't as many play areas for the kids as I remember last time but they did have a mother's room still available for travel with 7 years and younger children. It had a place to sleep, play room, potty and feeding area. We used the play room on the way over but since our gate was farther away and our flight was delayed by three hours coming home from Venice we didn't use it on the way back. We touched down in time and made our way easily through customs to collect our bags.

Now I had trouble using my credit card with chip but no pin to buy our bus/vaperrto ticket. A call to the card company to add a pinned not help and we made our way outside to where the to let counter was still open and we bought our seats for the 11:20 bus. had we not had card problems we could have caught the 10:40 easily. We arrived to an almost empty Plaza Roma and made our way to the vaperrto. it took us

Edited by bearette
OOps I can spell Greece

Venice first full day

The first full day we awoke somewhat early and went to St. Marks. We got a cafe and baked goods on our walk over. I tried to save napkins,but it didn't work so I don't know where it was but it was very local and a great first meal. The cappuccino and chocolate croissants were excellent.

We went to the Balisca, even springing for the upstairs museum and outdoor space, and Dodges Palace, buying a museum pass at the palace to use for the next two days.

After spending some time there we headed out toward the Accademia bridge to look for a lunch place. Just before the bridge we found a reasonable price place with a view of a church and some green space to sit down to lunch. Looking at a map now we were in Campo Morosini. Again I don't know the restaurant name, but we're were intrigued by no service charge and the 5-6 euro pizza menu.

After lunch and the kids getting a cat nap at the table, we headed over to Ca Rezzonico via the Accademia Bridge. Along the way we window shopped and discovered one of the make your mask places. After discovering the location to make the masks was near the palace, we decided to head there afterwards with the kids. It was now around 2pm.

We headed inside Ca Rezzonico and discovered very quickly the kids were not up for it. They were trying to lay down on the benches inside and just being grumpy kids so we headed out within an hour. I felt like we weren't welcome there and as I understand it is not a kid friendly outing , but we were getting the evil eye from the staff with one even offering an alternative to suggest the National History museum (which we did the next day). My kids not so do museums well, but with the jet lag it was too much.

We on a whim decided to look at the gardens really quickly before taking them to paint their mask, but to my kids delight we discovered a little park. Score! We found four year old heaven. Through it was two small pieces of equipment and a small maze it was as good as gold for our kids who badly needed some fun time. We let them play until it got dark and pulled them away only with the promise of painting a mask.

The mask pairing was fun for my kids who knew right away they would make spider man and a cheetah. We spent the next hour assisting them in their artistic endeavors. My daughter's looks pretty good, but since I helped with Spider Man... It looks more like Dead Pool. They were pleased and wore them the rest of the evening to the entertainment of all we passed.

The kid fun time worked wonders, but they were still acting sleepy and so were mom and dad so though it was just after five we headed back to our apartment which wasn't too far away in San Polo.

My husband cooked dinner and I worked on my dissertation ( I'm preparing my proposal and despite my efforts I was not completed in time so had to work on it on vacation.). He said trying to read the ingredients named in the grocery store was challenging even when aided with Google translate. He persevered and we had a lovely home cooked, from scratch, Alfredo pasta dinner with fresh bakery made bread.

Near our apartment we decided we needed to indulge in gelato. We call it popsicle gelato since they were gelato made to dip and add toppings. I had a pistachio gelato, dipped in white chocolate rolled in pistachios which was excellent. My husband had coffee gelato (I think they called it latte), my daughter chocolate dipped in chocolate and my son a strawberry sherbet, no chocolate since he just wants to see red (remember four so the color matters).

We got back to our apartment with a sugar high. The kids got their nap in despite the treat and we enjoyed our apartments amazing canal location. We even utilized the Wi-Fi to call nana at home and show off our vacation home.

Sipping wine while watching boats pass on the canal was a fantastic way to end the evening.

Venice day two

We started to get up early but realized quickly today was a sleep in day fast when at 7am the busy canal was deserted and the sky was black with rain. We settled in to coffee and some Italian tv (not one English channel but cartoons for the kids transcend any language). This tv fact was also brought to my attention by one of our dinner mates who said they tried to look for sports, but to no avail. We weren't here to watch tv anyway.

As we watched the sky finally lighten we decided to brave it with our warmest rain gear. We headed for Friar Church in a drizzle. We paid the 3 euro entrance fee entertainment about an our admiring all the art. My kids love taking pictures so they were mostly good until they decided to fight over who took pictures with my phone. Daddy's phone solved that problem. We have some interesting pictures from their point of view. A lot of the designs on the floor.

It had stopped raining by the time we left and while still hazy was warming up. We headed toward the North end of town with the National History Museum, modern art and Palazzo Moncenigo.

Are excellent map reader vested us slightly off path and we headed for the National History museum first, but we ended up at the Palazzo. We stopped two shops down for coffee and croissants before we realized it was there. I highly recommend that place excellent cappuccino and croissants. It is to the right when looking at the Palazzo.

We made a quick trip through the Palazzo, but then had to go back upstairs by the perfume since the toilet was discretely tucked into a wall near there. The kids enjoyed the perfume display though the glass bottles they were in have me pause, "Don't touch anything" became my mantra this cruise.

We decided since we were closer we would go to the Modern Art museum. Now my husband and I detest Modern Art, but we're heard the building was gorgeous so my husband wanted to see it. We were out of there in 45 minutes. The Thinker and the building were the only appeals, though I found the Coco Channel exhibit going on interesting.

Now we needed some kid entertainment and the natives were getting restless so after several wrong ways, oops can't jump that channal, and seeing the school, one of only a few in Venice itself I hear, we made it.

Now I hate dinosaurs and real stuffed animals so this place was not for me, but we spent an hour letting the kids peel at the glass. They loved the dinosaur and crocodile at the beginning and the whale bone at the end. My daughter also was super excited over the cheetah. They delightfully made their way through.

By now it was nearly two and everyone was hungry. We were running late for our plan for the day so we decided to get a takeaway pizza at the Snack Bar Pizza (that's the name) by the ice cream place across from the bridge by the train station.

We had a picnic on Alta agua materials while sipping take away coffee from the ice cream shop, the restaurant didn't have take away coffee. I got some vapperrto tickets from the tabacco shop, don't use your card or they charge 2 euro more a ticket, and we headed for the boat to sit and wait the kids enjoying the last of the pizza.

We must have starved them because they each ate three full size slices. I guess I should have ordered another since daddy and I only got one each.

The vaperrto was full so we headed to the back where four seats were waiting. It became our favorite spot because we could see,but didn't get the cold wind as the building in front blocked it. We settled in for our ride to Murano where both kids took a nap and we enjoyed the views from the water.

We arrived in Murano and headed toward the glass museum, but doh! Just after 4pm and it was closed. I guess the signs saying it closes at 5pm and last tickets at 4:30 were a lie.

With nothing else to do we shopped and took picutures. We ended up buying a sconc for our house and the usual trinkets for gifts. My daughter loves her pink flower necklace.

Back in the boat the kids car napped again as we headed for their dream place. The Giardini stop. The kids came to life with the view of the slide and a snack didn't hurt them either that I had been carrying with me.

If course we had to find a potty and a neighboring eatery was happy to oblige my toddler. after I took her back I headed back to that same place for a take away coffee, but what was everyone drinking? I had heard of a spritz so I decided I was having one. They have me some snacks with it and it was the highlight of my vacation. Buzzed and snacked I got my husband his coffee and he laughed when he found out what took me so long.

The sky was darkening and it was dinner time so we headed out of the park to walk to a restraint my husband had heard about on phenotype apps he downloaded. It looked out over the Arsenal, which would have been impressive if the rain hadn't picked up and began to pour.

We enjoyed pizza, pesto and spaghetti Bolognese with tiramisu for dessert. The 1/2 liter of wine and beer my husband had rounded off the email nicely.

We headed back to the vaperro to avoid a water logged walk home and clean up. The kids did well for a full day and now past ten they were out.

Venice to Embarkation

We had repacked most of our items the night before so we could explore this morning. Some have but it was going to be a less wet day then yesterday.

We got ready and headed to the Rialto bridge. While we had passed it the first day everything was closed so we wanted to see things open. Unfortunately the market was open, but all the shopping stalls were closed up. We checked out the fruit and I gagged my way through the fish. It was drizzly and cold so we decided to warm up with coffee at the place next to the church. Prices were good for being by the bridge and we enjoyed a canola with chocolate for my son and myself, a puffy chocolate pastry for my daughter and cappuccinos.

Warm and suggared we headed back toward the apartment. It took us only five minutes so we decided we would go to Carlo Goldoni's house. Also five minutes past the apartment. We used our museum pass, and thankfully since it was tiny and not really worth an entrance fee. There were no English signs and only a general pamphlet to guide us. The kids enjoyed seeing the puppets, and by 10:45 am we needed to head back four our noon check out.

We paused on the way back to get a pastry with chocolate chips I had been seeing everywhere and took it back to the apartment. The kids we sleepy so we set them up with blankets and cartoon while we packed the clothes we had left to try and the items we had used that morning. We took the last of the trash out to the can in the square since we had missed the early morning pick up today and an incident with an aggressive seagull on our trash can made us leery of leaving it outside.

One last call to mom and we relaxed with tea\coffee in the kitchen while the cubs finished there nap until noon, checkout.

They had said to leave the key inside which we did and headed for the vaperrto since our late leaving yesterday made our 24 hr pass still good.

Thank goodness we didn't walk because it drizzled all the way to Palaza Roma. The vsperrto was super busy so I sat with the kids while my husband took a spot in front by the luggage and outside to take some pictures.

We made our way easily to the people mover and discovered our 24 hr pass didn't work there. 3 euros and we were on the front of the mover listening to the kids squeal in excitement over "the boat"," the kids club" and going " light speed to Endor " in the choo choo.

A good walk from the mover had us turning in our luggage and checking in. It went pretty fast and by 2pm we were heading to our stateroom.

Of course then it is lunch time so to the Windjammer for pizza. What else would my toddlers eat?

We were tired so back to nap in the room, except I checked out the internet I had prepurchased and down the rabbit hole I went for two hours working on my paper and checking emails.

The three amigos woke from their nap refreshed to the knocks for the muster drill.

After the drill we found a spot to watch sail away and then getting cold we headed to the Viking Crown lounge for a less wet view. We have the kids out phones to play with to keep them entertained while we enjoyed our first beverage from the Diamond member happy hour.

We decided to check out the actual lounge once Venice was far from view, plus the gold key section took up much of the desired views of Venice which left us with Giducca (sorry know I spelled that wrong).

The lounge was hopping so we found the coffee machine introduced ourselves to V, our diamond representative and headed out. The kids club was about to open and the natives were restless.

We had some time to kill so we went to the show, but we were not impressed and once kid club time rolled around we left since all they had done was ask where everyone was from. We never made it back to the theatre.

Kids off we headed to the atrium for a drink while we waited for dinner.

We had two other couples who were lovely, both from the states but one stationed currently in Germany. The second couple didn't stay long as they had eaten in Chops and only came to introduce themselves.

By ten we had to pick up the kids and they joined us for dessert. While ice cream isn't dinner we excused ourselves to find the Park Cafe, the only place open to give our kids fruit and sandwiches for dinner.

Then it was off to bed, but we could sleep in since we didn't arrive to port until the afternoon

cruise day 2 Kotor Montenegro

We slept in to 9:30am. We rushed to get up just in time to make breakfast. The Windjammer was crowded, but we were able to find a table. We filled up and then I dropped the kids off at the kids club.

Then we headed down for tender tickets, which we should have done right away since we got tender 18 ouch.

Husband and I decided to head upstairs to take in the views and then wake up nana for a face time call to see it. This internet package is fun and we learned we could pass it back and forth between our devices, just only one logged in at a time. (We only paid for one device).

We settled down to watch the views and I found a deck chair to watch it by. Pretty soon I was asleep.

I woke up to to the time and realized we needed to get our items ready to go. We had to get a coffee from the Diamond lounge to work me up first. Husband got the kids and I finished packing our RCCL complementary water.

Unfortunately when husband got back he brought back a bad report that our son was not listening to the teachers in the kids club. He got his first warning. uh oh. From here on out when he was dropped at the kids club we were given a pagger in case he wasn't following directions.

We heard them announce our tender so we headed out. We used the elevator and unbeknownst to us we skipped a long line of people waiting upstairs.

Since it was nearly three we knew we didn't have much time for tours so we headed straight for the old town and the wall.

Oh the wall. yes we took four year olds up the wall and they walked it all themselves. My son is my stock so he whined and took up the back with me while my husband and daughter charged their way up. Some water and cookies eased the pain of the climb but calling it a huff and puff hike is accurate. At one point someone tried to talk to my son and tell him he was almost there. To this he cried and said "no people talking to me." Yup defiantly not a hiker.

We made it just before sun set and it was a beautiful pink. The kids and I sat and snacked on some chocolate I brought and then we rewarded them with a cell phone. Sigh. Nature cannot compete with Angry Birds.

The walk down was so much easier then up and as my son said "people can talk to me now". We made it down in 30 minutes, but in the dark. The cell phone light lit the way. We passed/ met almost no one since many had abandoned the hike after dark.

We entered the city alone, besides the cats. Which off course became my kids goal, to pet every cat.

We walked around and shopped, entered the church and found my daughter a potty. With an hour left we decided to sit for hot chocolate, coffee and relax. The kids hot chocolate was the best part. We enjoyed our evening in fantasy land, but the ship was calling, and the kids club.

Why eat when you can go to the kids club, though with a pager. Mom and dad got a drink at the Diamond lounge which became our routine. Then we headed to dinner. One couple was there, but the other joined us for dessert since they had done another speciality restaurant.

We picked up the kids and headed to the park cafe again to feed them a gourmet dinner of fruit and a sandwich.

Then off to bed since we had an early day tomorrow.

Souda,Corfu

We were up early and heading to the dinning room by 7:15 since we arrived by 8am in port. I had decided to rent a car for most of our ports so that we could tour at our leisure. Since we had limited time we decided that we would head downstairs early even though they hadn't announced arrival. The slow and forgetful service in the main dinning room took us right to 8am. We didn't go back to breakfast there because it took too long.

As our cards were being swipped we heard the announcement, it was ready for disembarkation so early adventurers I recommend heading down and waiting there.

We walked and wished we would have taken the free shuttle since we had one person a head of us at the car rental office in the port. I believe their name here was Royal Car rental. One person wasn't bad because after the announcement the port area flooded with people and six people for in line behind us.

We got our car which was a bright yellow number. It was the worst of all the cars we had,but functionable.

We had a vague idea of where to go so we decided to visit the car rental representative recommendations once the car was gassed up. No the gas was on 1/4 barely not 1/2 tank like you said.

We headed to the monetary farther away and got there in about 30 minites. The kids slept the whole way.

We made the mistake of parking at the bottom of the hill and walking like the bus but we could have worked right outside so we kicked ourselves for wasting precious time walking it. It did give me a chance to look at the shops down stairs were I picked up a t-shirt for my nephew and a dress for my daughter.

The monestary was interesting and since it was free economical. Gorgeous views and a small chapel, museum and gift shop rounded out the experience.

Edited by bearette

Great and interesting review! Venice is way up there on our list. Hopefully our next big cruise.

:D LOL.:D Zoos and museums with dinosaurs bones and real stuffed animals and are why I grew up to be a biologist. ;)

Edited by Coralc

From there we saw a castle advertised on the map that was about 20 minutes away so we thought we would try for it. We were met with gorgeous views and passed some tourist traps with three cruise buses at a small shopping complex. We would skip that.

We got to the castle / fortress but met with the closure of the fortress. It appears that off season in Greece means a lot of the sites are closed. We took some photos from the ground and headed back. We passed a local family stand and decided that was a good place to spend our money. We bought soap and tried some bread and olive oil. unfortunately we were low on cash and we were waiting until Wednesday to take out cash since that is pay day at home. Bummer but we did buy some of their home made wine, bottle with no label. We bought it as a gift to my brother in law who we knew would like that kind of thing.

Our detour took some of our time so we headed toward Archellon and the palace there. We were worried we were going the wrong way but we took the correct path, with only one quick u turn. As we learned the city name wasn't used in English,but Kerkerya. It wasn't until we were back on the ship we goggled it to confirm, but our instinct was correct.

We arrived to a lonely palace with three other couples touring with us. It was already 12:30 so we did a quick rush through the palace and were out by 1:00. I didn't get to use much of the included audio tour, but what I did was interesting. The kids were more interested in our cell phones, and after a few minutes we gave in so we could have a quick look around. The outdoor courtyard was my favorite.

A quick use of the restroom and we collected our IDs, required until you return the audio tour.

The kids were asleep in the back again as we made our way back to the port. This is where we were nervous because the car started to stall, and where does it happen right in the middle of the busy traffic of Corfu town ( sorry this port was not Souda, it is Corfu and Corfu city.) It stalled about a half dozen times. Luckily were we close.

We got a nice tour of Corfu and decided we would use the bus and see the sites in the city if we were ever back. There was a beautiful park we passed that screamed take your kids here. Luckily they were asleep so we didn't have to hear about missing it.

We pulled into port at 1:30 where we met a representative to pass off the keys. A quick trip back to the car to get the bracelet my daughter made in the kids club and we were heading back.

The line was really long so we sat and got and quick coffee while we waited for the line to pass. We got in at 2pm and waited for the next bus to come. There was only one other couple waiting, but we could see the line to embark the length of the ship so we weren't in any hurry.

The bus arrived and we got in line at the ship. The kids started playing on the floor, and as I chastised them for getting dirty a ship representative pulled us to the second disability line that was much shorter. Thank you! It was much appreciated and much needed.

Once we passed security we headed up stairs to the Windjammer to eat. A quick bite and we dropped the kids off at the kids club. Once again they were begging to go back. if it wasn't for the ports I would never see my kids this trip.

I meant to work on my paper so we headed for the quiet diamond lounge but we past Bingo signs. almost no one was there so my hubby said let's do it. We have a chance to win. He bought the cards while I worked, but 30 minutes later our easy bingo game turned full. They were still selling cards when they announced the game would be $500 instead of $300.

As usual I sucked, but we did see our table mates stand. We were giving him the evil eye for beating us when my husband stood up, the sign you are one away. Two more calls later and he was yelling Bingo. He is so lucky! He won! Wo-ho more spending money.

He dealt with getting his money while I hit the lounge to continue working on my paper. My husband came and went while inspired I enjoyed a beverage. An hour to dinner my husband appeared and I put the computer away. I had done several hours so it was time to go back to vacation.

We talked and researched the next days ports a little and headed off to dinner. We didn't have to pick up the kids since we signed them up to eat with the kids club. Pizza and fries, they were in heaven. They did this free during port days which our kids enjoyed.

We had a meal with all our table mates who said they saw the kids eating in the Windjammer.The chef brought out their pizza and made some pomp and circumstance over it so it sounds like the kids had a great time. We heard about it more when we picked them up.

Once again a long leisurely dinner so we picked up the kids to have dessert with us. The one set of table mates hadn't met the kids yet so they were excited to meet them. Kids are adorable when well behaved for a few minutes at the table.

Then it was off to bed and shower, though we weren't in so much of a rush because we had a late port into Athens tomorrow.

Edited by bearette
Speling

Great and interesting review! Venice is way up there on our list. Hopefully our next big cruise.

:D LOL.:D Zoos and museums with dinosaurs bones and real stuffed animals and are why I grew up to be a biologist. ;)

Yep, everyone is different. My parents took me to a museum with anomotroic dinosaurs when I was a kid, scared me to death so I've hated them ever since.

Athens ( Piraeus )

We slept in and barely made breakfast. The kids wanted the kids club again so we dropped them off until we were ready to go. All we did was take in the views with a cup of coffee, since we leisurely finished breakfast once I dropped off the kids.

When noon rolled around we grabbed the bags and jackets from our room and headed to get the kids. We were picking them up when they announced you could disembark.

We knew we wanted to see the Archelogical Museum since we had missed it last time. Our late arrival meant we only had time for one ticketed item and since we had done the Acropolis last time we skipped it.

First we were in dire need of money. I had enough for the bus/train ticket so I bought it from the stand right outside the cruise terminal (make a left it is at the end of the bus parking lot), but we needed more. We walked down two blocks to find a bank with an atm machine outside, we skipped the closer one because it was at a weird corner and my husband decided we would just take the train. The atm happened to be by a bus stop so we took that with the help of some locals to the train station, not all the buses go to the trai station.

The bus was crowded but we did find a seat for the kids and l, though they fought over who was on mom's lap and who had the window so we had to make a trade mid way through our 5 minute ride.

Once at the station we boarded easily and headed to the change of trains only to discover they were having a strike from 12-4pm and only the green line was running. We didn't have a map with us so we asked at the train station the best way and he directed us back to the green line and then a few blocks walk.

My husband downloaded a map with the limited Europe plan we had bought and we used it to navigate to the station. It was about a ten minute walk, but with grumpy kids who wanted to be carried already we decided a coffee and croissants were necessary. A quick step into a small place and we were energized for the two more blocks we had left. We were finishing our to go coffees in the lobby, but the chocolate croissants were gone by the time we reached the pigeons out front. A quick run through the pigeons and the kids were ready for the museum.

It was a lot bigger then I thought and we managed to see all that was open , even with a potty stop, but we had to be selective over the items we read. The kids posed like the statutes which made the workers laugh ,but when I did it I got reprimanded. I didn't make that mistake again, they consider it rude so no more posing from us.

We had arrived about 2 and they closed at 4 so just about two hours and we had had our fill. The kids had the phones early,but had given up on pictures pretty quickly because they could only see so many horses and animals.

After another potty stop it was pigeon time. We let them chase the birds for 15 minutes while we got our bearings for Sitigma Square. Then the huffing and puffing kids joined us for a walk to the train station. We didn't want to brave the tram or bus because we didn't know where they went, though I'm sure another local would have helped us out.

We got to the square and they were beginning the change over. We had the opportunity for pictures, but I hadn't researched enough this time and got in trouble for doing a family picture with the guards instead of just one of us, though the pair of kids they said was fine since they were so young. I should have done more research this time. Only one person per photo.

We stayed for the change of the guards, but we did have a kid time out in the middle so we didn't stay until the whole thing was finished, just until the old guards left. The new guards taking their post was going to be a little while. We did see our dinner mates so said a quick hi before taking off. They had found a small taxi tour for 20 euro and were very happy with it.

We headed back to the metro and the Plaka to check out the stores and find the kids gelato I had promised if they were good, only marginally so. The snacks I had brought were running low, but it was now 5:30 so if we wanted to shop we didn't have time for a sit down dinner. We were on a mission so we exited and shopped all the way down to the next metro station. It was about 6:30 now so gelato finished, and all over their sleeves, we headed for the metro back. It wasn't as busy now so we were able to get seats unlike the last two rides, though people were nice and I was able to get one for the kids in every ride.

We excited the train and still had time so we decided a coffee and treat were in order. The kids had a cupcake and mom and dad shared a treat that I couldn't name that looked like a puff pastry. Yummy.

On a sugar high and 7:15 it was time to get back to the ship. We knew the bus number this time and were walking over right as the bus arrived so we were able to jump on. We were back to the cruise bus stop by 7:30. The kids were full from the snacks so we took them to the kids club and we got a quick drink before heading to dinner, after dropping off all our goods at the room.

Dinner was just the two of us as our dinner mates said they were upstairs and were too tired the next day when we met up again. We enjoyed our intimate dinner in a near empty dinning room and were finished by ten so we could get the kids despite the fact that I ordered five courses, everything but the salad I had was excellent. I rolled myself out of there and to the park cafe with the kids to give them another sandwich and fruit bowl for dinner.

Then back to the room for quick showers and bed because we had another early day.

Crete

We rolled out of bed and made a quick visit to the Diamond lounge for coffee and patries. It was less busy then windjammer and had the things we usually eat so we started going there for breakfast. Fruit, bagels and some sweet pastries plus that fabulous coffee machine and we were ready.

We had another car here and again we were one of then first off since we headed down before the announcements. We exited about 8:15 and were in the car when I saw the sea of people exit, most went right to the port bus stop. At 1.70 it was what most people did. Those poor taxis.

We were in Souda and we got some recommendations from our driver and we ended up heading to Rethimno. It was a lovely mostly coastal drive and even with the rain that started it was pretty. The kids got another power nap in on the about 30 minute drive.

We arrived at the fortress on the map and discovered it was open. There was parking around the back and up the hill and we scored one on the hill so we didn't have to walk it. It was a few euros to get in, but they charged for the restroom. You had to insert a coin in a turnstile before you entered but they did have and a disabled restoom near the ticket office.We

We were the only people there besides some workers. It stayed over caste but we were lucky it didn't rain while we took a look around. Once again the kids loved the wild cats. We enjoyed looking at the recent excavations near the office just puked there waiting for someone to look at them.

After the potty we headed into town where once again wit was virtually empty. some locals enjoying a beer or coffee and that was about it. most shops weren't open and after walking around for a little while we got the kids an item from the variety and one for daddy. Those cream filled and chocolate rolled pastries are so delicious.

Back in the car we headed back toward Souda. It was a set ride, and the kids fell right to sleep, mama tried to buy dad wanted the navigator. We tried to stop for a coffee at one of the beach places with playground equipment but once again it was closed. The kids slept through it and we ended up close to the military base for sea view restaurant. It had tourist trap prices but the views were gorgeous and the kids got to play in the playground. We stopped for about 45 minutes then headed out again. We were very close to the Aptera archeological site so we decided to brave it.

It was open and a whopping 1 euro entrance. The ruins were fantastic and you could see they were still working on it. They were excavating the house site when we visited and people were walking around the offices. The theatre was my favorite but the baths and water storage areas were interesting. I love a place with modern convenience in the 7th century BC.

We spent as much time here as We dared before driving the 2 minutes to the fortress for a picture. that is a steep hill and when my husband tried to park up next to the closed doors I protested loudly. I am too old now and heights with steep cliffs are getting to me. Save on a flat surface I stayed with the kids while he took some pictures and laughed at me while the kids told daddy it was not a good choice to scare mama.

We headed back to the port and we were early so we decided to do a quick run to the city of Chania. We should have gone to the allied war cemetery because the traffic have us pause and we literally did a loop and left barley seeing a thing and not getting out of the car. We made it back with 15 minutes to spare, but a little to close. No one was there to take the car so we cleaned out our stuff and left the keys as instructed.

Edited by bearette

Crete continued

Once again the kids begged to go to the kids club and since they were doing the meal in an hour we signed them up again to eat with them. The power of fruit snacks, cereal, and crackers to delay the feedings was evident when kids club was involved.

I had been working on my paper some but not enough so to the Diamond lounge I headed for a quiet place,but it didn't last long before the drinks were flowing because the happy hour started. My husband let me work while he snuck up to the windjammer to check on the kids. I continued to work until he came back. The internet had gone down for most of my session so it made working on my paper difficult. We settled in to chat and did a little research on the next port.

Then off to dinner where everyone was in attendance. We heard about everyone's days and then it was time for pick up for the kids.

The kids club has tried to page us, but it never rang because we had it out on the table. They gave us a lame reason because my daughter wanted to be picked up, she was acting tired they said, but when I asked her if she wanted to leave the kids club she gave me a resounding no. plus she wasn't giving temperatures signs like playing with her hair. My son had had a potty accident the next day but they didn't seem to mind that as much as I did, because they didn't page us for it. The kids club was starting to stress us out to the point I wanted to complain. They also gave me attitude and made passive aggressive comments like I should reconsider leaving them in the club for so long. Also they were obviously favorites amoung the kids. My daughter was one, she didn't win family bingo, yet that night she had she had a stuffed octopus they gave as one of the prizes. They would give her welcome greetings and gush over her" oh look whose here! " and then oh you brought your son too.

The steam was started to come out of my ears and my husband's too as he insisted I pick them up because of the attitude from the staff. I thought he was exaggerating until I started dropping them off and picking them up. We weren't going to let their attitude ruin it since the kids still begged to go so maybe they reserved their attitude for us parents alone. I am a teacher I know how kids in groups can be, but this is not school this is vacation so I have higher expectations.

We headed to bed and shower for another early day.

Edited by bearette

Argostoli

This port had little information about it before hand. As a newer port stop even cruise critic didn't have a port guide. Again we decided to rent a car and see what we found. The car was waiting right outside the dock building with the row of people with names on signs. The information I did find was about a cave and lake. We started off The same with breakfast at the Diamond lounge and off The ship as they were announcing disembarktation.

The cave and lake were on the same path so we opted for the lake because it had been recommended to me to skip the cave as "you have better in the states".

It is very mountainous so there were often two routes to a place because the tour buses could not make the roads. We followed The wrong path and ended up behind a tour bus for most of the drive. There were no places to pass and we spent closer to an hour on the road because of it. When we finally did pass several goats had made their rest the middle of the road so we had to proceed with caution. At least The route was well signed so we knew we were going the right way.

The Melessani lake was the highlight of the trip and worth the 7 Euro entry fee (the kids were free). My son required a potty stop before the tour,but had we not done that we would have beaten the tour bus and had it to ourseleves. our timing meant we had a small filled boat, but if you go straight there you can be the only ones. It was Crystal clear and our guide sang a little so you could hear the acoustics. We even saw eels but only in my side of the boat. My son was more interested in the row so the guide let him row it some, but we only got maybe 20 minutes on the water in the cave. Short but absolutely worth it, it was gorgeous.

By the time we came out there were several tour buses and taxis so much so that a taxi had to move so we could get out. I enjoyed our quite trip.

We headed toward the next town, but while a lovely sea side town several places were not open and we thought in summer I could see not leaving this city. They had scuba diving and gelato by the water but all closed for the season so we moved on. The name of the town was Ag Afimia.

We saw a Castle in the map near Myrtos beach which is the famous on the island. too cold for swimming we took a detour to Aso and the fort\castle. It was another mountain road so while short on the map it took another 30 minute one way drive, another section was closed that looked shorter so up the mountain went the long way.

After making our way past several goat groups sleeping in the road we made it to Asos only to find another closed off section of town, and a gate blocking the up hill entrance to the fort. Crap not again.

We took some photos and headed back. Unfortunately we took another bus route and ended up adding another 30 minutes to our drive ending up passing through Karya. It was a very sleepy section of the island as we saw about two cars and three people during that drive. We finally made it back due to the great signage, but watch out since the bus route adds time to the drive. We ended up back on the coastal road with fantastic views of Myrtos beach and the fort we didn't make it into.

The coastal drive reminded me of route 101 at home. Just gorgeous. Unfortunately any thought of stopping was lost as nothing was open. I need to do this trip again on season to enjoy what it has to offer.

The only stop we made was a quick peek into the church cemetery for a photo, it was very pretty and had the kids not been asleep I would have walked around and went into the church. Back on the route we made it back to the city with two hours to shop/snack.

We parked the car and I made a mad dash to the restroom in a coffee shop so while we ordered coffee we all used the facilities. The kids were hungry and the snacks were running out so we headed out to look for ice cream but found a candy\sweet shop instead. My daughter was a hold out for ice cream but for.70 we got a chocolate item shapped like a cone that my son devoured outside. My daughter was a hold out for ice cream.

My son ate while we tried to help a lady who needed her passport to exchange money. we had ours on us so my husband tried to exchange some for her, but they wouldn't take her $50 bill and the high commission made the other $50 she had left not worth exchanging. 20 minutes delayed I headed to the shops with the kids while my husband went back for the car and parked by the port so we could head one way. He found me happily engaged in a shop. We spent the next hour buying gifts since our shopping time in other ports were limited.

We finished up and my husband wanted a snack and coffee, we only had 45 minutes so we skipped into a place where he ordered an ice coffee, bread and fries for the kids.

We enjoyed our snack while enjoying the ocean view. I stayed away from the coffee since I had just had one and made do with bread since the wine I had ordered was out of stock. No local wine for me.

We headed back to the car to retrieve the items left there and walked toward the ship at 4:30. The line was still pretty long, so we were not in a hurry to wait. We did get lucky again and got escorted to the short line so we were heading for more food at the park cafe by 5pm, along with everyone else since nothing was open. Some grilled cheese, fruit and salad later we were all happy. Some ice cream from the machine and we were perfect.

All week the pool had been calling us so we finally decided to go. We dressed in our suites and headed back up. The hot tubs were in use so we did the pool which wasn't too cold for ten minutes until a hot tub opened up.

We made that our home for an hour and a half while Shallows played on the big screen. Not child friendly but the kids weren't really watching. Unless of course I didn't want them too. I also happen to have a shark phobia so the selection wasn't my choice, where was Ben Hur from the night before!? Daddy enjoyed the movie while the kids played. I got up for water for us all but We were engaged in the tub or ledge of the tub for the movie.

Wet like chlorine it was time for showers and fine you can go for an hour to the kids club. We dropped them off at 7pm but as this was Thanksgiving they were eating dinner with us.

Beside the special menu at dinner you wouldn't have known it was a holiday. I don't think it is big in Europe, lol. No decorations like on our NFL cruise a few years before. No big deal, it was the ham and Turkey I was interested in.

We enjoyed the Diamond lounge happy hour and then headed for the kids. When we got there I learned about my son's accident so we had to run back to the room to wash his clothes quickly in the sink and get him dressed in pants.

They gave me attitude because they said they paged me but I showed them the pager with no messages. Stop giving me the broken pager that didn't work! They said Kalise wanted to leave because she was tired and didn't even page me over his accident. I just shook my head. The Adventure ocean wasn't the adventure I had hoped for.

Clean and pressed we headed to dinner. No other desserts but the Apple tart, pumpkin pie, and peacon pies so I hope you were in a turkey mood. Most of the table had ice cream.

We headed back to the room but stopped quickly to see the 70s party and balloon drop from above. Then it was off to bed to sleep and since we got to turn our clocks back tonight to make up for doing it forward the second day We were excited to do nothing but sleep.

We were out until almost lunch the next day

Edited by bearette

Sea day

One more day. The kids and I barley squeezed in breakfast in just enough time to catch the parade at 10am. They made a large goodbye cake and started cutting it by the time we left after 11 am for lunch.

After the kids rushed through their breakfast to go to the kids club, under mom and dad protest, but since it was only an hour we thought they would be alright.I

The black Friday deals were calling. Similar to my mall at home the shops were packed with crazy shoppers, but the deals weren't that special. I found a few items from the CaribbeAn and ship merchandise clearance but most of the sale items were the same price they had been all week. They were doing small giveaways with your receipt every half hour but the prizes weren't worth the hassle and lines.

Being a shopper I stuck it out for my purchases but my husband took one look and said no way and went to the captain's talk.

I met him at noon at the kids club where we participated in one of the two family games that day, bingo, right after signing out the kids.. The bingo game we lost, but that night my daughter still ended up with the prize octopus. I didn't like how they ran the game. One card per family so the kids were fighting over the cards. There were plenty of cards so I don't know why each child didn't get a card.

Defeated we headed to lunch in the windjammer. Out first day lunch experience left a bad taste in our mouth with slow service and no kids menu so we didn't want a repeat of the dinning room. They had that cake from this morning nearly gone and we snacked on pasta and other items that caught our fancy. I never went hungry and though I was never a buffet person I found some great tasting items at the buffet. I don't know who cooked the pork on this cruise but the first day in the dinning room I had the best pork chop of my life with a close second at the buffet today. They managed to thoroughly cook, but yet still keep the meat moist. My mouth waters thinking about the pork chops I had. Yummy.

It was time for the kids club to open again and since I had a paper to do and my husband had packing to do we set them loose in the club again and got to our respective work. I did mine again in the Diamond lounge, my office, while my husband comendered the room.

By five he was mostly finished and I was just finished for today.Time 5pm

last sea day continued

I was able to get a drink to go, but It was time to pick up kids and then we were going to do the family quest. We had missed the adult version the night before and our table mate was one of the stars of the show.

We played quest but I had sent my husband back with my laptop so they started early and we missed the first few items because we had no purse and no walet. I didn't have keys, money or a map on me so this quest was a fail. My daughter didn't like the rushing feature of it and she was out after we did a boy wearing girl shoes. She did not like her brother wearing her shoes.

Of course we didn't win so we headed to feed the kids. More park cafe and we were ready to play.

I had my days switched up from the night before and I believe this is the day we watched the shallows from the water while the day before we dropped the kids off at 7pm after eating at the kids club. I believe I wrote more on my paper in my new office . The days start to run together and I don't keep the planners and take notes. To busy chasing kids. While we waited Thursday for the kids club to open we switched the kids card to diamond with the concierge. The new rules allow kids to be the same level as their parents and they earn their own status until 18. Then whatever they earned by cruising become their status. So we are diamond, but if they only cruise enough to be emerald then at 18 they switch to emerald. A far trade I belive. They can match mom and until they are off she to earn their own.

Either day we are back to the Diamond lounge to drop off a tip for the guys there who worked for us all week. A quick snack and drink and we headed to dinner.The concierge filled us in on the plan for the next day and I was sad we couldnt eat breakfast in the lounge the last day as it would be closed and the coffee machine getting a deep cleaning. I need a machine like that for my house. Push a button and a cappuccino.

We enjoyed a final meal with our table mates and againgen it was time to get the kids. We said our farewells and then off to pick up the kids. They were enjoying a story with one of the workers and my daughter was asleep and my son was nearly so. We had exhausted them on vacation. my daughter clutched her new octopus to her chest and with one eye open announced she was hungry. Up to the park cafe we went for a grilled cheese.

Another family was also there enjoying the only other open eating venue. We said hi to the kids club friends and got a cookie to go. We had a few more things to pack and bed.

All packed we made one last phone call to nana before heading to bed.

Disembarkation

I escorted it to be louder in the morning but we slept straight to the alarm. We took some morning showers but we only had three towels so I had to hunt in the hallway for our room steward. he seemed flustered when I asked for a towel, but said of course he would get it. He made it back to the room just in time. Don't expect quick help from them the last day because house keeping didn't even answer the phone for me.

We stuffed the last of our items into our backpack, but shoot we forgot to pack the kids masks so we hand carried them off in a plastic bag.

We finished breakfast in a near empty winemaker arriving at 8:30 am.

We made a quick go and were out by 9, and then had to wait for a room key because we could not find the kids cards. When I got home I found them in the laundry, hubby had packed them in his pants and sent them off the night before.

We were waiting for him when we were asked if we were staying on, nope. So we were serendipitously to leave. At 9am they wanted you out. I saw them making new cards for those staying on board, but our cruise was over and they needed us off. They informed us they could look the kids up manually and after my daughter announced she had to go potty again, we went before we left the windjammer, we were walking off.

We got our luggage and quickly repacked some items and then headed to the people mover. When we got there we discovered it was broken and a bus was running in its place. Not as easy as the people mover but it for the job done. There was an obvious sign at Plaza Roma so if you had to take the bus you could find it easily for those getting on board.

Literally next door to the people mover was a left luggage so we headed there and dropped off our bags. They didn't charge us for the kids backpacks so we paid for two backpacks, a roll suit case, my husband's camera bag and the bag I used as a diaper bag/ backpack. 35 euro to not carry them was well spent. They closed at 8pm but in order to get one open later you had to go to the train station across the bridge. They closed at 11 but I wasn't going to hike our stuff over there.

By the cruise terminal was a left luggage but they closed at 5pm, to early for us. They advertised taking the luggage to the airport but when we asked transparent doing it.

Luggage free we decided to head into the city to explore for the day.

It was almost 10am and so the kids decided the were still on a cruise should and were asking for a snack. We were in Cannaregio since we missed that section last time and since we had nothing on the agenda today we decided to sit for a coffee and crossiant. Chocolate cannolias for the kids and a cream croissant and coffees for the parents. We spent nearly and hour there and also used the restroom before heading off enjoying a rest. We headed out again stopping at all the shops and churches we happened across. My husband had downloaded an app on his phone before we left with maps and small write ups on sites so we went to some of the places like the bridge for fights and we ended up in Castello at Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo.

They don't take any sort of chorus card so we decided to pay the fee to get in because it looked so impressive from the outsidr, 3.50 a piece. it was very impressive inside and we walked around until my daughter announced she had to gompotty. I inquired after a toilet and they directed me to the next door hospital.

While we were rushing for a bathroom we were very impressed with the hospital built into a former scoula. A worker kindly helped us to the toilet and after taking care of business we walked around a little. There was a museum inside,but its signage wasn't very good and we were getting hugry so we decided to skip the medical museum in favor of food.

We walked down a little ways and found the pizza and spaghetti house. it's prices were reasonable until we got the bill and saw a 2 euro per person, including kids, fee. Oh well every place has a fee. Filled up on pizza and pasta the kids started to sleep at the table. My son didn't sleep so much because of a car we had bought him became his new obsession so he played quietly at the table with it and some of the waiters who past him by. We enjoyed a coffee while the kids rested and then we roused them.

Not to far down the street we were shopping again when my daughter announced she had to go potty. We were just at the restaurant! Grr. Into a coffee pastry shop I went and they let me use the toilet but I back to buy something when I came out. Everyone is going if I have to buy something. I let them pick out a sweet, of course they pick chocolate so 2 euro later they were munching as we walked.

We headed back toward the Rialto bridge shopping all the way. even though we just ate we passed a gelato shop so we had to have a one euro scope. my cherry cheese cake was devine and so was my husband's coffee flavor. My daughter got some sort of moouse chocolate that tasted like pastry filling and she gave it up quickly. I understood why after I tasted it because it was very sweet. My son devoured his strawberry so I assume it was delicious.

Before we know it we were back by the train station and we decided The kids needed some fun. All sugared up we headed to the park. We stayed for an hour even until after dark letting them have what their vacation is about. Only one quick potty trip, thank you local restaurant that let my daughter go, but we had to use the men's since two women were waiting and toddlers don't hold it well. Too bad we got caught when he went to fill the toilet paper. Kids are so embarrassing, but better then she goes on the floor.

All tired out from their exercise we headed toward Plaza Roma and to one of the restaurants recommended by our apartment rental.They didn't open until 7pm and it was only 5:30 so we headed to one of the tourist ones that had stopped us before. Too cold to sit outside on the terrace we got a seat not to far from the door and watched them drum up business. They had been nice to us when we walked by before so we decided to try it.

We got their special and the pork and meat sauce pasta ended up being delicious. My daughter didn't make it through dinner and promptly feel asleep after a few bites of salad and the pasta. They did devour the bread on the table as well.

We enjoyed our dinner and spoke to a single man who sat next to us until it was time to collect our luggage at 7:15. We still had to walk a little and we didn't want to cut it too close. We were already. By 7:30 we were collecting luggage and by 8pm we were safely in a bus to the airport.

Now at the airport we ended up unlucky and our flight was delayed until 2am! We got some coffee in the terminal, but that didn't last long and like zombies we boarded the flight to Russia. We had a long layover so it didn't effect our home flight other then we opted not to return to the mother's room since we were right by our gate and didn't want to walk all the way there and back in only an hour. I attempted not to sleep while the other three continued their nap. About 9am Russia time they all started to stir so I got the adults a cappuccino and the kids ancrossiat. I had to use a card since I didn't have any Russian currency.

Then it was time to board. We had an uneventful flight home and kept ourselves entertained by movies, books and I wrote some more of my paper.

Final thoughts

It took us 29 hours too get home from taking the bus to driving into our garage. A long time but a very worthy trip.

Food I give a B because we had some standouts but mostly it was just good and not delicious. Not having ice tea in the dinning room drove my husband crazy as well. All minor things but the little things add up.

The ports were great but the late arrivals made disembarkation so crowded that we missed a lot in already short port days. Itinerary A+ but C on port times.

Kids club also gets a C because of the things that happened. I shouldn't be stressed leaving my kids to play. I also want a working pager. I to!d her to test it in front of me and she wouldnt. It was like they didn't believe me the pager didn't work. I had a different pager after I asked her to test it so I know it was broken. I didn't ignore it. My daughter even told me that the next boat she wants to be the place they paint her like a tiger, which was our NCL cruise. I had issues with them as well, but I believe they handled it much better. I don't know if this is typical of just this staff since this was my kids first time of age in Adventure Ocean, but I wasn't impressed.

Ship: B+. I didn't use much of the ship this time. Normally we go to all the shows etc but the itinerary was the highlight. The lounges we did use we liked and the servers were friendly even with the free beverages for diamond happy hour. The only reason it doesn't get an A is because there were a few one ways that made it annoying to get around at times,but overall it was good.

Disembark/e embarkation

A

Very easy coming and going. No long lines to contend with, but being diamond that made our waits easier. Venice while difficult to navigate I think is easy to get to once you arrive at Plaza Roma. You just need to do your research. Also a beautiful place to sail in and out of. For this alone go.

Overall B+

Besides the kids club everyone I interacted with was lovely. The smaller ship meant not some of the bigger bells and whistles, but we were happy with what we did. My greatest test is would I do the cruise again and the answer is yes.

I hope you enjoyed a family perspective and I apologize for all the typos and errors as writing on my kindle isn't the easiest, but convenient for me. Happy sailing!