Snorkeling at Great Stirrup Cay

LounVal

Just got off the Epic. there was no sculpture garden at the moment. Looks like there was quite a bit of damage from hurricane Matthew, all buildings were freshly painted and had new roofs.

I was surprised that they did not require a snorkel vest especially since you could go all the way out to the rocks the created the cove. Beware, that is a long way out there, not much fish to see and a strong current to swim against to get back in. If you are not a strong swimmer do not go out that far.

There are no sculptures at the moment. We snorkeld there a couple of days ago using our own gear

This shows up as the first "featured" excursion for my March cruise. Does anybody have the scoop on whether the garden is still planned or when it would be completed? Alternatively, I seem to remember a snorkeler suggesting the best snorkelling area on GSC was NOT where the garden was/will be, but at some other location on the island but can't seem to find the post. Any ideas?

Thanks,

• 9 months later...

Any 2017 snorkelers to GSC? How was it? What are the best places to snorkel (or is GSC a "don't bother")? I'm on the NCL Escape at the beginning of November, and debating whether to dig through the attic to find my old dive bcd, and to buy a new mask (the old one had a prescription ground into it that I no longer use).

Any 2017 snorkelers to GSC? How was it? What are the best places to snorkel (or is GSC a "don't bother")? I'm on the NCL Escape at the beginning of November, and debating whether to dig through the attic to find my old dive bcd, and to buy a new mask (the old one had a prescription ground into it that I no longer use).

To have good snorkeling you need to have a reef or rocks that you can easily get to (either from shore or by boat). I don't recall GSC having either.

We were there on EPIC 1/14/17 cruise. Snorkeling out near the rocks was ok. Facing the water if you go to the far right of the beach you can walk in and easily get to the rocks. But, previous poster is right, if you go out to where it opens up to the sea , you should be a good swimmer or at the very least wear a vest. Did see a couple sea turtles in the grassy area.