Single Malt Scotch

flifish64

Thinking about buying the premium beverage pkg for my husband as a Christmas present on our April 23 TA Freedom of the Seas.

What brands of Single Malt can be found on Freedom and in which locations?

Thanks for any help.

Carol

I can't answer your specific question but, in general, I've been pretty disappointed with the selection of Scotch on board these ships. I'm not a huge fan of Johnny Walker products. I like a nice 16-18 year old Glenfiddich. While most bars carry it, they normally only have the 12 year old. If I'm going to pat that much for a drink, I want a good one.

I can't answer your specific question but, in general, I've been pretty disappointed with the selection of Scotch on board these ships. I'm not a huge fan of Johnny Walker products. I like a nice 16-18 year old Glenfiddich. While most bars carry it, they normally only have the 12 year old. If I'm going to pat that much for a drink, I want a good one.

Never been on the freedom so can't answer your direct question but in general the previous poster is correct.. this year:

On oasis glenlivet 12yo was readily available. and I found lagavulin in the pub. (ended up drinking Basil Hayden bourbon or Jamison)

on the brilliance the English pub had lagavulin 16, oban 14 ,10 yo tusker and ardbeg

it seems all bars had johnny walker (red and black)(not single malt but drinkable in a pinch)

Good Luck

I think they have a excellent selection most are 12 year old, if you do not like Johnny Walker not sure if you have had Platinum which is 18 year old or Blue which is 21 year old but they are not single malt (both are at RCCL bars). We were drinking MacAllan 12 year old which is normally considered a top scotch. Now you will be able to find single malt scotch 15 year or older but they will not be included in package. We had one a couple of months ago and it was 18 year old I believe and cost was about 20 dollars a drink , package covers up to 12 dollars a glass, so if you order a 20 dollar drink you will pay the 8 dollar difference plus tip on the 8 dollars. Not all bars had same selection of scotch's.

I would agree with this as well. If they're selling the Balvenie Triple Cask in duty free, they may have it at one of the bars. They will happily sell you overpriced MacAllan.

Brilliance last year out of the UK did have a decent selection, as mentioned. Good whisk(e)y is probably going to be at either the Pub or R Bar (used to be good selection at the Champagne Bar, bizarrely).

I would agree with this as well. If they're selling the Balvenie Triple Cask in duty free, they may have it at one of the bars. They will happily sell you overpriced MacAllan.

Brilliance last year out of the UK did have a decent selection, as mentioned. Good whisk(e)y is probably going to be at either the Pub or R Bar (used to be good selection at the Champagne Bar, bizarrely).

We did Brilliance on cruise 10 weeks ago, really had some good bartenders, need to ask bartenders what are the better scotch's offered, we were given a few small smaples of some excellent scotch's to sample at the pub, R bar also had nice selection.

The booze for the shops is a completely different department than the booze for on board drinking.

The booze for the shops is a completely different department than the booze for on board drinking.

Agree, but the one time I actually bought the triple cask on board, they were in fact serving it at the champagne bar. Which I did find odd.

He has taken a liking to Laphroaig which no one mentioned and I do not see in the picture.

Discovered it on Celebrity and was hoping that Royal would also carry it.

He does like Basil Hayden and Jamison so I may go ahead and buy it for him.

I really want the combo pkg some have mentioned that is the premium beverage pkg and 1 internet pkg. That would be perfect but it is not showing as an option for our cruise. Bummer

Carol

He has taken a liking to Laphroaig which no one mentioned and I do not see in the picture.

Discovered it on Celebrity and was hoping that Royal would also carry it.

He does like Basil Hayden and Jamison so I may go ahead and buy it for him.

I really want the combo pkg some have mentioned that is the premium beverage pkg and 1 internet pkg. That would be perfect but it is not showing as an option for our cruise. Bummer

Carol

Those are all 3 completely different whiskys =)

Laphroaig is incredibly peaty/smokey being an islay scotch

Jameson is an irish whiskey is typically a bit cleaner/distilled/delicate and basil hayden is a bourbon giving you that oak sweetness from a heavier toast.

just sounds like your husband will be plenty happy with whatever you get him

Edited by BuffetPantsPls

Laphroaig is incredibly peaty/smokey being an islay scotch

Jameson is an irish whiskey is typically a bit cleaner/distilled/delicate and basil hayden is a bourbon giving you that oak sweetness from a heavier toast.

Are these all covered by the bev package? I'm happy to hunt them down on the Navigator next week if they are...

All the 12 year olds were included, some of the older ones most likely will cost a few extra dollars

I would tend to agree with that. We've never done a drink package, but 12 year olds were always priced similarly. And some really good 10's (Talisker, if memory serves) were no more, and probably less, than some OK 12's.

Day 3 on the Navigator and I've found 12 and 15 year Chivas, Basil Hayden, and Jameson. No sign of Laphroaig yet but I'll start asking. Also have not price checked the 15 year Chiv or the Basil. Jameson and 12 year Chiv were covered by the bev package, no overage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm no purist, even though we're Scots...but I alway think if you've got JW Black or any Chivas you should be okay for after dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree they are both very nice and I drink them both but poster was asking about single malt and they are both blends

I agree they are both very nice and I drink them both but poster was asking about single malt and they are both blends

I am glad you concur.

I wish I could meet you and explain* why the difference between Single Malts and Quality Blends is less significant and than the differences betwixt individual Single Malts in my mind. The biggest concern is the amount of Grain whisky in the blend. There are some Single Grains out their which are worth trying, even just as an experiment.

* explain, via a vertical and horizontal tasting of years/ages and blends and aged blends.

Thinking about buying the premium beverage pkg for my husband as a Christmas present on our April 23 TA Freedom of the Seas.

What brands of Single Malt can be found on Freedom and in which locations?

Thanks for any help.

Carol

http://cruisewithgambee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Beverage-Package.-whats-included.jpg

This may help

I was at Two Poets tonight for the Whiskey tasting, on the Navigator. I noticed they had both 12 year Balvenie and Basil Hayden available and was told they're $9.50 plus tip for a single shot pour. In the Navigator's duty free shop, the 12 yr Balvenie sells for $65 and the 16 year for $99.