Visiting Canadian port with past felony conviction

Lilycat1

We are going on an Alaskan cruise in May with one port stop in Victoria BC. One member of our group has a US felony conviction from over 10 years ago (not a DUI or sex related crime). Will that person be allowed to just stay on the ship while in Victoria or will they be unable to cruise at all. It is a closed loop cruise originating and ending in Seattle.

Lilycat - my husband has felony convictions and had no problem on the closed loop cruise. We won't chance a one way.

However, I am Canadian and they always let him in when he is traveling with me. We've never tried without me as we think it's because he is with a Canadian.

So this is definitely a YMMV situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lilycat - my husband has felony convictions and had no problem on the closed loop cruise. We won't chance a one way.

However, I am Canadian and they always let him in when he is traveling with me. We've never tried without me as we think it's because he is with a Canadian.

So this is definitely a YMMV situation.

[/url]

This is a typical don't ask/don't tell situation. If Canada Border Services doesn't ask about criminal convictions there isn't anything to tell. I don't specifically know how Border Services runs passport information through for cruise passengers visiting a Canadian port but what I do know is that late last year front-line CBSA officers now have direct access to the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) database, which shares information with the United States National Crime Information Center. Previously, CPIC was only accessed if a person entering was referred for secondary inspection.

There are a whole host of factors that determine whether someone is or isn't admissible due to a conviction (nature of the crime, term of conviction, time since sentence completed) but if you haven't applied for an Application for Criminal Rehabilitation before entering Canada your ability to enter Canada is quite simply not assured.

This is a typical don't ask/don't tell situation. If Canada Border Services doesn't ask about criminal convictions there isn't anything to tell. I don't specifically know how Border Services runs passport information through for cruise passengers visiting a Canadian port but what I do know is that late last year front-line CBSA officers now have direct access to the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) database, which shares information with the United States National Crime Information Center. Previously, CPIC was only accessed if a person entering was referred for secondary inspection.

There are a whole host of factors that determine whether someone is or isn't admissible due to a conviction (nature of the crime, term of conviction, time since sentence completed) but if you haven't applied for an Application for Criminal Rehabilitation before entering Canada your ability to enter Canada is quite simply not assured.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Canadian immigration law specifically gives each individual SBSA agent the ability to determine whether a felon is considered rehabilitated on the spot.

I would try calling Royal Caribbean to see if they know. I have read on these boards stories of people who were denied boarding for cruises that went to places that require visas (somewhere in the Middle East i believe) where people assumed they could just stay on the ship in that port rather than obtain the visa, but ended up being denied boarding entirely. I know it is a different issue since it's a visa requirement and Canada doesn't require a visa (I don't think), but the issue of "stay on the ship instead" is similar.

I handled a few of these cases in a past life....There are some misdemeanor crimes in the US which Canada considers felonies. I spent several months working to get someone back into Canada as a legal permanent resident who only had a 20-year-old theft case on his record (pled down from a felony). He was eventually successful, but it was a PITA. Fun times!

The border officers have a great deal of discretion, and if they want to be jerks, they can. If you even think you might have an issue and you will be entering Canada, please seek legal advice.

Edited by VASOXFANN

Yes. The Canadian immigration officers have the discretion to give you a one-time pass into the country. There is a fee associated with this "privilege."

I doubt Royal Caribbean agents will know. They often don't know their left hand from their right, much less immigration laws of a foreign country.

Canada customs and immigration can see criminal records from the USA. Whether or not they decide to run all passports for a cruise, who knows.

My understanding (from worrying about this on my last cruise) is that the cruise line sends the list to Canada customs/immigration a few days before arrival. So, if anything, they may be held on the ship.

Note: there is a way you can apply for rehabilitation. It is over $1000 and can take 6-12 months. We've contemplated this for hubby since we go visit family often. But we've never been denied, so we keep chancing it. One day I want to fly him in alone, just to see what happens.