How far in advance are the shore excursions listed.

robinlynn

Does anyone know about how far in advance of sailing Viking lists descriptions and prices for each sailing? My sailing is April 16, 2017 . The descriptions up now are not specific and only a few show prices. I know these are just general descriptions. With only 4 1/2 months to sailing, I am starting to get antsy to

see the specifics since I may want to book some private tours .

Thanks

Robin

Does anyone know about how far in advance of sailing Viking lists descriptions and prices for each sailing? My sailing is April 16, 2017 . The descriptions up now are not specific and only a few show prices. I know these are just general descriptions. With only 4 1/2 months to sailing, I am starting to get antsy to

see the specifics since I may want to book some private tours .

Thanks

Robin

Sadly, my experience (2 cruises) is that the list of tours being offered on a cruise is posted to MyVikingJourney about two weeks before booking opens for the Explorer Suites, which is 97 days days before sailing, so around 120 days before sailing.

The descriptions that you see on the itinerary page for your cruise on the Viking website is pretty much the same description that you will see posted on MVJ. If you see prices on a tour on the itinerary page, it is an historical price and not necessarily what the price will be when it is finally posted to MVJ.

My experience was that I worked from the listings including the prices provided over a year in advance. Made guesses based on the itinerary provided with our booking along with the stated durations for each as to the start time for each. Made up a spreadsheet from it along with a word doc. When MVJ was published I updated everything. Found that the variation between my guesses re start times was pretty small. Also the pricea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for answering my question.

Since I am a DV passenger, I should have lots of time from the time they are posted for Explorer Suites to choose.. I assume it will be posted for all to peruse?

I just hope there is plenty to choose from by the time I get to book.

I have booked several private. small group tours for some of the stops, including Granada, Seville, Barcelona, and Lisbon, because I am concerned that the tours I want will be filled up by the time I get to book.

Your information is most helpful....thanks!

Robn

Since I am a DV passenger, I should have lots of time from the time they are posted for Explorer Suites to choose.. I assume it will be posted for all to peruse?

I have booked several private. small group tours for some of the stops, including Granada, Seville, Barcelona, and Lisbon, because I am concerned that the tours I want will be filled up by the time I get to book.

Robn

Yes, once they are posted everyone can see them and read them. It will tell you how many days you have until you may start booking. Booking opens at midnight Pacific time for all time zone (so in Denver it's 1 am and Boston, 3 am. etc.)

True....unless it is a new itinerary. Then this truly good strategy is not possible....we are sailing the Amazon next year and this will be Viking' s first trip to many ports on this itinerary. So there is nothing to do but wait.

Same thing happened last year when we were on the Star's inaugural--

It is challenging when you are the type to book some private tours....that said we knew this going in....to be able to experience Viking again, it was worth it to us. However.....we are looking forward to the details! 😊

Robn

Very few tours are sold out by the time time DVs get to start booking but once DV booking opens at midnight Pacific Time, things start to fill more rapidly (yes, I stayed up until 3am waiting; much more civilized if you live in the UK, at least you get a good night's sleep).

If the tour you want sells out before you can book it, write to Viking (tellus@vikingcruises.com) and ask if they will be adding more buses for that tour (especially if it is one of the included tours). Then check into MVJ every couple of days to see if more places have been added. The instructions say to add it to your wish list but frankly I don't think Viking checks what is on wishlists and it is time they figured out how to run a proper wait-list for sold out tours.