Tell me about the Enchantment. Maybe taking a group of 100 high schoolers!

Tell me the good and the bad.

that many high schoolers cannot be reasonably accommodated without ruining the cruise for the rest of the passengers. there is not much for kids that age to do especially if the weather is sub par and the outdoor areas are closed( the bungee jumper thing and the rock climbing wall is not open that often and in high winds they definitely will not be)

not all cabins will hold 4, and besides every cabin will need an adult booked in it.

EN is great little ship. emphasis on little. the stretching only added so much room.

that many high schoolers cannot be reasonably accommodated without ruining the cruise for the rest of the passengers.

I know what you're trying to get at, but the kids haven't even been on the cruise yet. They deserve an enjoyable cruise just as the other fellow paying guests onboard. There is really no difference between well behaving high schoolers and well behaving adults...so why should the kids be denied a fun experience before they even board *just in case* they disturb others?

Who knows, they could be absolute angels.

Sent from Tapatalk

Good to hear, I hope so. I was Valedictorian of my High School, considered well behaved and mature but at 16-17 years old if I was at a group event (like a cruise) and had a chance to impress a girl by doing something partially stupid and not well behaved I would have.

But regardless, I hope you are right. Hope you have 100 Heather Gardners and Chris Ostreichers and not 100 Michelle Flahertys and Jim Levensteins.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

Last year they took a trip in June to NY and performed in Carnige Hall. They are THAT good.

it is a high school choir with at least 10 plus chaperones. These kids behave better than most adults. Thanks for judging.

as a former choir kid myself( all girls private religious based school at that where all the teachers were old school nuns) I can assure you what goes on out of sight of the Nuns and other adult chaperones would shock and dismay you.

we do not behave any better. we are just more practiced at hiding our misdeeds.

Last year they took a trip in June to NY and performed in Carnige Hall. They are THAT good.

again, talent is no indicator of their off duty antics. I sang in St Petersburg. the one in the Former Soviet Union. (granted that was college choir but as a Freshman so not that far removed form High School)

I know what you're trying to get at, but the kids haven't even been on the cruise yet. They deserve an enjoyable cruise just as the other fellow paying guests onboard. There is really no difference between well behaving high schoolers and well behaving adults...so why should the kids be denied a fun experience before they even board *just in case* they disturb others?

Who knows, they could be absolute angels.

Sent from Tapatalk

everybody talks about the pool. even half the kids in the pool means that no one else can use it. and knowing most teens, they are in the pool all day long. when not in the pool they are in great big clumps laughing loudly in the loungers. do not get me started on the hot tubs. and since I bet a bunch are at least 16 that means not even the adult only Solarium is a respite for the rest of the passengers.

and oh lord, the running back and forth between cabins at all hours with the doors slamming and the noises in the hall ways.

all of this is NORMAL behavior, not even any obnoxious possibilities regarding out of control hormone laden teenagers.

Does any of this even matter? If you have 100 children going, you need at LEAST 30 cabins. Each of these cabins require an adult in it...you therefore need 30 chaperones for this....not 10.

Thank you so much for your observation that none of this matters.

This is correct.

Everyone else, if you aren't booked on the cruise that OP is talking about, then don't worry about it!!

Thank you so much for your observation that none of this matters.

This is correct.

Everyone else, if you aren't booked on the cruise that OP is talking about, then don't worry about it!!

I was only stating a fact, was not trying to be mean. I would actually love to hear a choir perform. Would not bother me in the least.

Wow, a full set? Or multiple choirs? Intro for a large gig?

Does any of this even matter? If you have 100 children going, you need at LEAST 30 cabins. Each of these cabins require an adult in it...you therefore need 30 chaperones for this....not 10.

At what age do you need 1 adult per cabin?

On the College freshmen cruise on Carnival we were 2 students per room and we were all 18-19. No professors were in rooms with students.

If it's 18 or old you might have some 18 year old high school students.

Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

Well if word guardians is interpreted loosely then that will save some staterooms from being reserved.

You can put 1 chaperone in middle room with connector on both sides (if enchantment has this)

PS was 21 always Royal's requirements? I was on Navigator in 2004 and 2005 when I was 19 and 20 respectively.

In 2004 I was with my 18 year old girlfriend. Her parents were on the cruise but no where near us.

In 2005 I was with my college friends we were all under 21 unless I am mistaken and someone had just turned 21. But I don't think so. I remember we all had holes in our cards and only drink beer.

The Good:

The Enchantment is a great ship has an extended pool deck with peekaboo bridge, R Bar, Chops, Chef Table and Giovanni's.

The Bad:

There will be 100 high schoolers on it

Ha Ha, I agree but cool of OP to do something different with her students

everybody talks about the pool. even half the kids in the pool means that no one else can use it. and knowing most teens, they are in the pool all day long. when not in the pool they are in great big clumps laughing loudly in the loungers. do not get me started on the hot tubs. and since I bet a bunch are at least 16 that means not even the adult only Solarium is a respite for the rest of the passengers.

and oh lord, the running back and forth between cabins at all hours with the doors slamming and the noises in the hall ways.

all of this is NORMAL behavior, not even any obnoxious possibilities regarding out of control hormone laden teenagers.

And along with all of that, they will randomly break out in song. Augh. Can't stand it when my close friends do that, let alone random strangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my two cents....

While I understand those of you making "humorous" comments regarding 100 high school students on a cruise, as a teacher (and a middle school band director at that), I felt stung by the comments at the same time. We work extemely hard with our students to produce success, and I can assure you that I could take 100 of my 11-14 year old students on a cruise with you and you would be seeking me out to tell me how wonderful they all have been. My students have been taught how to behave in public, whether the mall for lunch, a theme park for the day, or a trip overnight. To imply to a teacher otherwise is downright insulting without having any background knowledge.

Again, I get what you were trying to say, but that's how it came across to me.

Wow, a full set? Or multiple choirs? Intro for a large gig?

At what age do you need 1 adult per cabin?

On the College freshmen cruise on Carnival we were 2 students per room and we were all 18-19. No professors were in rooms with students.

If it's 18 or old you might have some 18 year old high school students.

them as a stand alone choir. And I am thinking for the music festival the age rules vary and don't go with the 21 age rule as the focus is schools in these festivals.

:rolleyes:

Trying a bit hard to convince them not to go.

Royal is a family line this lots of kids and teens on any ship. Don't like it then sail a more adult line. It's very simple.

Yes we wouldn't want them sitting in groups laughing loudly, the horror. :rolleyes: I'd rather that than the sloppy loud drunk adult. The deck is not a quiet area so it's ok for people to have fun.

Just my two cents....

While I understand those of you making "humorous" comments regarding 100 high school students on a cruise, as a teacher (and a middle school band director at that), I felt stung by the comments at the same time. We work extemely hard with our students to produce success, and I can assure you that I could take 100 of my 11-14 year old students on a cruise with you and you would be seeking me out to tell me how wonderful they all have been. My students have been taught how to behave in public, whether the mall for lunch, a theme park for the day, or a trip overnight. To imply to a teacher otherwise is downright insulting without having any background knowledge.

Again, I get what you were trying to say, but that's how it came across to me.

Just ignore them. Teenager does not equal bad behavior.

We sailed on royal that had a pretty large group for children with Down syndrome which meant lots of tweens and teens. I didn't notice any bad behavior. And I have sailed on Disney which has kids galore and didn't see tons of unruly kids. Most adults will make sure those they are supervising are behaving appropriately.

as a former choir kid myself( all girls private religious based school at that where all the teachers were old school nuns) I can assure you what goes on out of sight of the Nuns and other adult chaperones would shock and dismay you.

we do not behave any better. we are just more practiced at hiding our misdeeds.

I was a in a Marine Corps band right after high school. The highly disciplined Marine Corps, accompanied by higher ranking people we had to obey.

Our off-duty antics would shock most rock groups :eek:

it is a high school choir with at least 10 plus chaperones. These kids behave better than most adults. Thanks for judging.

I don't think I'm judging, I'm speaking from experience. My daughter is 14 and would be considered very adult for age; she's involved in all kinds of nerdy things and is by no means amused by the shenanigans of most kids her age, nor are the majority of her friends.

But I guarantee you if you put 20 or 30 of them in a group (which we've done many times with traveling sports programs), there will inevitably be at least a couple of them who get the group laughing and being loud, and some of them will break off and start running down the hallways of hotels.

Having even just a few of those kids in the group of "good kids" is far more disruptive than having a couple kids who are related and used to doing stuff like that together and know the rules, or at least have a parent supervising them to some degree. I can't tell you how many times I had to go out in the hallway and tell our fellow teammates to be quiet and stop running. My kid and the other "good kids" left the group because they thought it was too rowdy, but there were still enough of them left to be completely obnoxious, and most of them were the kids who came with other people's parents. It's just the way it is, good group of kids or not. There's no way that you can get a group of 100 kids and not have at least 10-20 of them be absolutely deplorable when away from their parents and unfortunately it makes the other 80 kids (and their chaperones) the least liked people at the hotel (or on the ship).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will also add that while you say they are "choir kids" to qualify them as being good, my experience has been the opposite. At my daughter's school the "good kids" are the orchestra and band kids, but the "popular" (aka social and obnoxious) kids all do choir and are seen as being the rowdiest and least well behaved group of all of them. The theory discussed amongst the parents (and other kids) is that orchestra and band take a lot more dedication and practice, which takes time away from socializing and hanging out with friends, but choir only requires you to memorize some words and then you're free to go "roam the halls."

That being said, I'm sure you do have quite a lot of good kids in that group, but even good kids get caught up in the chaos sometimes, even if it's just because they end up having to talk louder in order to have conversations because they can't be heard over the loud kids, or because they are actively trying to "shush" the other kids or attempt to round them up and calm them down. That behavior in itself, while well meaning of the "good kid" just contributes to the loud obnoxious chaos of the group. You'd have to be a fool not to recognize this can happen in a group of 100 teens, good or not. And I guess there I'm judging.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

You asked for the good and bad, and you got the bad. The people on these boards have been on cruises with large groups of kids, and they are responding. Don't blame the person who answered because you don't like what they have to say.

Edited by VASOXFANN