Tell me about the Enchantment. Maybe taking a group of 100 high schoolers!

Wow, a full set? Or multiple choirs? Intro for a large gig?

At what age do you need 1 adult per cabin?

On the College freshmen cruise on Carnival we were 2 students per room and we were all 18-19. No professors were in rooms with students.

If it's 18 or old you might have some 18 year old high school students.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

all cabins must have some one 21 or older booked if there are anyone under 18 in the cabin. notice I say BOOKED. we all know that realistically what would happen is that the cabin with teens booked into would be all teenagers and the adults would end up sharing a cabin; generally speaking cruise lines do not have a problem with this as long as the kids are supervised and would be obeying curfew( 1 am on Royal ships)

your specific experience was totally different as it was a sponsored event hosted by the cruise line( I wonder if the failure of that program led to Carnival's requirement of a person 25 and over if anyone in the cabin is under 21 restriction, the most restrictive policy I have seen)

I will also add that while you say they are "choir kids" to qualify them as being good, my experience has been the opposite. At my daughter's school the "good kids" are the orchestra and band kids, but the "popular" (aka social and obnoxious) kids all do choir and are seen as being the rowdiest and least well behaved group of all of them.

This one time at band camp....

And along with all of that, they will randomly break out in song. Augh. Can't stand it when my close friends do that, let alone random strangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah we were soooooo guilty of that especially in public areas with great acoustics. we were threatened with Gulag if we tried it in the cathedral though. back then the Russians had no sense of fun/humor.

do not EVER stay at a value resort at Disney during the Cheer competitions.

it will only be a 3 night cruise and they will be doing choir compitions

Had to read this thread when I saw the title :eek:

But, from what you said, I'm guessing that the competition is on the cruise? If so, I am guessing it is a specialty cruise and there will be multiple choir groups aboard. If that is the case, it would (I think) change the complextion of the whole cruise as I would guess there would be few regular passengers aboard.

Either way, have a great time. I think these kids are lucky to have the opportunity.

Edited by Wolfhunt

This one time at band camp....

Haha, you know that was a movie right? But yeah I agree, my point wasn't that band kids are always well behaved, my point was more that of all the big music groups, the choir kids would be at the bottom of the list behavior wise. Again though, I am not saying that every kid in the group is bad by no means, and I wouldn't even say "bad," just more obnoxious and less respectful of other people's space and enjoyment. But that is kids in general, and I'm just using the music as an example because her defense was that her group was "choir kids."

My personal example was of sports kids, and if I'm gonna start stereotyping, sports kids are the worst!! They are trained to be high energy when in a group together and are generally the least nerdy, most social and most obnoxious of all school groups. But again, in my example, we still have a couple good nerdy kids and so I used it as a real world example for which I have experience of how "good kids" and "obnoxious kids" behave together in a group vs how they would behave separately. 100 teens, good or bad, they are going to heavily annoy a lot of people, no way around it.

However I'm not saying they shouldn't go, just to be aware of the "bad" part of this adventure. The good part is the kids will bond and have a really good time, they'll make great memories and travel is always an awesome experience. At the very least it'll be a learning experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And along with all of that, they will randomly break out in song. Augh. Can't stand it when my close friends do that, let alone random strangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah we were soooooo guilty of that especially in public areas with great acoustics. we were threatened with Gulag if we tried it in the cathedral though. back then the Russians had no sense of fun/humor.

:eek: thanks for the tip!

Edited by VASOXFANN

Just being realistic, how many of you (including me) breathed a sigh of relief when you saw that the date was NOT the date you would be sailing and not on the ship you would be sailing? How many of you said, "Cool. I think I'll book that same cruise with them."

OP--one thing I would look at is how many are over 18 versus under 18. Only those under 18 can participate in the teen programming and teen nightclubs and only over 18 can go to the adult night clubs. Are there enough in each group that everyone is likely to have friends to do things with in the wee hours of they want to?

I don't think I'm judging, I'm speaking from experience. My daughter is 14 and would be considered very adult for age; she's involved in all kinds of nerdy things and is by no means amused by the shenanigans of most kids her age, nor are the majority of her friends.

But I guarantee you if you put 20 or 30 of them in a group (which we've done many times with traveling sports programs), there will inevitably be at least a couple of them who get the group laughing and being loud, and some of them will break off and start running down the hallways of hotels.

Having even just a few of those kids in the group of "good kids" is far more disruptive than having a couple kids who are related and used to doing stuff like that together and know the rules, or at least have a parent supervising them to some degree. I can't tell you how many times I had to go out in the hallway and tell our fellow teammates to be quiet and stop running. My kid and the other "good kids" left the group because they thought it was too rowdy, but there were still enough of them left to be completely obnoxious, and most of them were the kids who came with other people's parents. It's just the way it is, good group of kids or not. There's no way that you can get a group of 100 kids and not have at least 10-20 of them be absolutely deplorable when away from their parents and unfortunately it makes the other 80 kids (and their chaperones) the least liked people at the hotel (or on the ship).

Dang you have a miseerable view of hte sounger generation--there is "no way" at least 10 and probably 20% of them won't behave in a "deplorable" manner on a one week trip?!?!

What a sad thing to think/say.

My 17 year old's class of 35 goes on a 1-2 week trip every year. He's been going with them since he started the school in grade 7. They're in 12th grade this year and a cruise is one option they are considering---and I can't even imagine them being a problem on a ship. There are ALWAYS a handful of misbehaivng people on a cruise--someitmes, yes, it is out of control teens. Often it is younger kids whose parents are there and ignoring or enocuraging bad behaviour. Often it is adults who are either drunk or just don't care that they are being rude, entitled idiots. Teens do not have some sort of monoply on poor behaviour--nor any gaurantee that they will behave poorly at all, in spite of your convictions to the contrary.

And I find it odd that many are assuming all 100 kids will be in the same places at the same time. Other than boarding and leaving why would they? Big groups like this still usually split into smaller subsets most of the time, don't they? That's probably a big appeal of cruising: some kids can hang out and play cards on deck, some can play ping pong, some can be at the pool or in the gym or hainvg pizza or watching movies in their stateroom, or playing trivia, I would guess that most of the time you might 6 or so kids together from the group--not all 100. At least if they behave like most groups I have seen or was a part of back in the day.

Edited by NHDisneylover

Perhaps you are just one of the naive parents who looks the other way. I don't have a bad view of teens per se, but I am realistic of the tendency for that age group to test the waters of their newfound freedoms of being unsupervised while also succumbing to all of the other things that can plague them and cause those behaviors, like the need to be included and noticed by their peers.

Do I think all of them are that way? No. But do I think it's likely that 10-20 out of a group of 100 will be? Absolutely. I volunteer my time to supervise large groups of kids all the time through school field trips and sports tournaments that require overnight trips and while most of the time the kids are all part of the "good kids" category, I've never seen one event go by without several of them, no matter what age group, getting a little too rowdy.

I think it's more likely that the adults who say teens get a bad wrap are the parents of the kids who cause the problems because you think they can do no wrong, look the other way, or make excuses for them, because if you were supervising them closely enough, you wouldn't think my observations were that outrageous. I am not against teens at all, I'm against parents who think there's nothing wrong with 100 loud, energetic and minimally supervised kids disrupting other people's peaceful enjoyment. As a passenger I would tolerate it for the most part, but I would certainly notice it and try to avoid it at all costs if possible, and as a parent, I would be on top of those kids constantly, knowing how much they will probably be annoying the rest of the ship.

I'm not saying teens are horrible, and I'm not saying don't go, I'm saying, be realistic and don't be surprised that other people will probably wish you weren't on the same ship.

I think it really comes down to:

- what control you will exercise over the 100 kids

- whether the rules and the consequences have been made clear to them

- how well they are supervised (including when they are not all in the same place)

- how open you will be to any complaints

- what action you are able to take to bring anyone behaving badly into line.

I was on Navigator out of Southampton in August and there were a bunch of teens and tweens making a very big nuisance of themselves. I put it down to individual families not supervising properly.

Hopefully with an organised group, clear rules and active supervision and consequences, this would not be (as much) of a problem.

Just being realistic, how many of you (including me) breathed a sigh of relief when you saw that the date was NOT the date you would be sailing and not on the ship you would be sailing? How many of you said, "Cool. I think I'll book that same cruise with them."

Post of the Year Award Goes to......

Once I cruised with what felt like a couple hundred South American teenaged girls as part of a dance group or cheerleading event. They kept many of the men onboard amused, but it wasn't funny when we couldn't find a seat at the pool day after day.

It takes a special person to watch that many young adults.

You asked for the good and bad, and you got the bad. The people on these boards have been on cruises with large groups of kids, and they are responding. Don't blame the person who answered because you don't like what they have to say.

When people say the bad, they mean be quiet if you have any bad...... Then call you a lot of names when you don't agree with them, which they define as bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I always go out of my way to book a cruise date that does not coincide with Spring Breaks or Summer vacations. This is a 100 kids in addition to all the other kids that will be on the ship. I don't care what anyone says, kids will be kids! They're loud, inconsiderate of others, take over pools and hot tubs, stay up late and run up and down the hallways and stairs, have their crying and screaming moments of drama. I know. I was a kid. I have two kids and now I have two grand kids. I wish I knew a good way to identify what large groups or other special interest groups were going to be on any particular cruise. This isn't me being mean or rude, this is me looking for a vacation that I will enjoy.

OP--I am a former teacher and I was a class sponsor for most of my career. I took students by plane to WDW for class trips over spring break. [What was I thinking? :eek: ] So, I am not bashing trips for students. . . . and i wish you luck.

I think you mentioned in a post that they were 11-14 years old [so, they are a middle school group] That would leave the solarium available for adults that wanted a teen/tween free zone.

A cruise presents some unique issues because of the confined nature of the venue. A 100 passenger group [teens or adults] using a single venue anywhere on the ship [except the theater] would be felt by the rest of the passengers. It has also been my experience that teens tend to form large groups and get silly, do silly things and encourage one another to do silly things.

We have sailed the Enchantment several times. While the pool deck is excellent-- the pool is fairly small. However, there are not that many other things for the teens to do in their free time. If this is a special group cruise there may be additional activities planned. . . . if not, this is could be a problem. Bored teens will find something to do. :D

Good luck and I am glad I am not on this cruise, either. not trying to be rude--just honest.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

OP--I am a former teacher and I was a class sponsor for most of my career. I took students by plane to WDW for class trips over spring break. [What was I thinking? :eek: ] So, I am not bashing trips for students. . . . and i wish you luck.

I think you mentioned in a post that they were 11-14 years old [so, they are a middle school group] That would leave the solarium available for adults that wanted a teen/tween free zone.

A cruise presents some unique issues because of the confined nature of the venue. A 100 passenger group [teens or adults] using a single venue anywhere on the ship [except the theater] would be felt by the rest of the passengers. It has also been my experience that teens tend to form large groups and get silly, do silly things and encourage one another to do silly things.

We have sailed the Enchantment several times. While the pool deck is excellent-- the pool is fairly small. However, there are not that many other things for the teens to do in their free time. If this is a special group cruise there may be additional activities planned. . . . if not, this is could be a problem. Bored teens will find something to do. :D

Good luck and I am glad I am not on this cruise, either. not trying to be rude--just honest.

Sorry--i must have read someone else's post regarding a choir. I see they are a high school group.

Once I cruised with what felt like a couple hundred South American teenaged girls as part of a dance group or cheerleading event. They kept many of the men onboard amused, but it wasn't funny when we couldn't find a seat at the pool day after day.

It takes a special person to watch that many young adults.

Sounds like a large Quincenara group

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Teen group mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcLQMxmkhlE

Not saying all teens are like this however it only takes one to egg the rest on.

Cruised Navigator 2005 with my friends when we're were 19-20 and one night my friend got drunk, went on our balcony, stood on a flimsy table and tried to urinate over the railing.

Well he fell, naturally, but my other friend grabbed him so he wouldn't go over.

Now our group was only 4 of us and a little more mature than high school yet we still acted pretty stupid at times. Now take 3-4 years off our age and times the group by 25 and you have a rowdy group.