Just off the Wonder--and I Wonder about this dry dock

We were on the Wonder on November 10 and didn't notice any wet carpet or hear of any either. We don't have children, so I don't know anything about Dory's reef.

Good to know, but since the carpet issue was caused by the drains in the HA cabin (which are totally different from any drains in normal cabins), unless you were in one of the problem areas, you wouldn't have had an issue.

Still, it is great to see a good report and we can hope that the issue was resolved!

I was on the Fantasy media cruise before the Christening and everything was perfect that I saw but as you pointed out it sailed VERY light and they obviously pulled out all the stops for us. It's where I fell in love with DCL.

That said--I totally agree that stuff can and does go wrong all the time on ANY ship and any two people on any cruise will likely have completely different experiences. Thankfully the majority of the time the great majority of the people have a wonderful experience. Especially on Disney

• 2 weeks later...
That is 4 months from now, they should have the room fixed by then.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

While I would like to think that, we sailed a few months after the Magic came out of drydock and had two separate issues (one a leak from ceiling dripping onto bed, and another stateroom so moldy smelling my son had a horrible allergic reaction and ended up sleeping on our cabin floor to avoid it), so this news of cabin issue in/near our assigned cabin concerns me. However knowing now may enable us to secure a different room now (especially given my son's mold allergies).

While I would like to think that, we sailed a few months after the Magic came out of drydock and had two separate issues (one a leak from ceiling dripping onto bed, and another stateroom so moldy smelling my son had a horrible allergic reaction and ended up sleeping on our cabin floor to avoid it), so this news of cabin issue in/near our assigned cabin concerns me. However knowing now may enable us to secure a different room now (especially given my son's mold allergies).

There are a couple of things you need to understand and consider.

Firstly, the leak reported by WheelingTravelingMom WILL have been repaired by now, let alone by the time you cruise in April. The carpets will have either been dried or replaced.

They will not just let the problem persist.

Secondly, ships develop problems from time to time when in service, and not just after drydocks. Leaks are more common than you may think.

The ships structure is always moving, flexing, twisting, and pipework and joints occasionally fail, gets blocked by inappropriate things getting flushed by Guests, or just backed up.

Yes the Wonder has just has a large drydock, but a lot of the work done in Guest areas is cosmetic, and not completely stripping the systems back to bare bones. You need to consider she will be 18 years old this year.

I hope you are one of the very very high percentage of Guests that have a problem free cruise.

ex techie

There are a couple of things you need to understand and consider.

Firstly, the leak reported by WheelingTravelingMom WILL have been repaired by now, let alone by the time you cruise in April. The carpets will have either been dried or replaced.

They will not just let the problem persist.

Secondly, ships develop problems from time to time when in service, and not just after drydocks. Leaks are more common than you may think.

The ships structure is always moving, flexing, twisting, and pipework and joints occasionally fail, gets blocked by inappropriate things getting flushed by Guests, or just backed up.

Yes the Wonder has just has a large drydock, but a lot of the work done in Guest areas is cosmetic, and not completely stripping the systems back to bare bones. You need to consider she will be 18 years old this year.

I hope you are one of the very very high percentage of Guests that have a problem free cruise.

ex techie

Thanks, yes, despite that one cruise on the Magic with multiple issues (it was actually a b2b with one problem on each leg), all of our other DCLs have been nothing short of magical! We are frequent DCL cruisers (currently three w/in 12 months on three different ships) so we know of the potential pitfalls and they are certainly not enough to discourage us, however if moving staterooms 100 days out would be beneficial, why not? Ironically, I was torn between decks six and seven anyway, so the OPs issues might just swing things in favor of deck seven.

Thanks, yes, despite that one cruise on the Magic with multiple issues (it was actually a b2b with one problem on each leg), all of our other DCLs have been nothing short of magical! We are frequent DCL cruisers (currently three w/in 12 months on three different ships) so we know of the potential pitfalls and they are certainly not enough to discourage us, however if moving staterooms 100 days out would be beneficial, why not? Ironically, I was torn between decks six and seven anyway, so the OPs issues might just swing things in favor of deck seven.

Personally I WOULD opt for the Stateroom WheelingTravelingMom had as you can be assured it will have had the leak fixed!

ex techie

Personally I WOULD opt for the Stateroom WheelingTravelingMom had as you can be assured it will have had the leak fixed!

ex techie

I can see both sides of this--my mind says that of course it was fixed immediately and the carpet was replaced, etc. My heart says I'd like to hear from someone who sailed in the cabin in December and it was perfect.

I can see both sides of this--my mind says that of course it was fixed immediately and the carpet was replaced' date=' etc. My heart says I'd like to hear from someone who sailed in the cabin in December and it was perfect.[/quote']

That is a fair point!

Quite unlikely to see a review of that specific Stateroom though.

I would still book that one, as better the devil you know. Other Staterooms may be in worse condition, but just not publicly reported.

ex techie

Yousee were you in the back? That is where all the problems seemed to be concentrated. I never noticed midship or forward when delivering FEs or any other reason. We were 6654 so the huge ADA room and deck on the very back.

I'll let you all know what Shoreside says on Monday. Like I said every CM we encountered were very kind and apologetic but due to my sons wheelchair there was no where to move us. They even told us that they contacted other ADA rooms to see if they could upgrade them to move us but everyone needed their ADA room.

We booked a placeholder as well but it won't be on the Wonder and probably not on a cruise just coming out of dry dock. What is perplexing though is that 2 other cruises went before us and we walked into it like this so this was not something new that just happened. They had to know this was happening.

Thank you so much for posting. I was looking at booking today cabin 6654 for February 18,2018 cruise for my mother,:eek: myself and daughter but can't chance a moldy cabin.

Boogers!

And once carpet has gotten moldy once it is difficult to ever get clean enough for someone who suffers mold allergy asthma like myself.

What was Disney's response once you were home?

And once carpet has gotten moldy once it is difficult to ever get clean enough for someone who suffers mold allergy asthma like myself.

What was Disney's response once you were home?

OP posted above that DCL had treated her well after returning home and offered a significant discount on a future cruise.

It would seem that DCL would need to replace the carpet in that cabin at the very least...after the drain pipes were fixed!

Thank you for clarifying OP outcome- i was bouncing around this thread and other internet sites trying to find other room reports and/or a different HA cabin to book.

On my third DCL cruise (on the Wonder but different location than this) we were just unpacking in our cabin when water started pouring out of the ceiling above the coffee table- so i might be a little more concerned than most!

Edited by Kiran
add

Thank you for clarifying OP outcome- i was bouncing around this thread and other internet sites trying to find other room reports and/or a different HA cabin to book.

On my second DCL cruise we were just unpacking in our cabin when water started pouring out of the ceiling above the coffee table- so i might be a little more concerned than most!

You're welcome. I'm guessing that one member of your party needs the HA room. We've stayed in several of the HA balcony cabins on the Magic and Wonder if you have questions. Yes, we have our favorites, but honestly, all are very good. They meet her needs well.

On the other hand, we were once in an OV HA on the Magic which I really didn't care for.

Maybe there is a misprint in your post. If you are not cruising until 2018, for sure the carpet will have been replaced LONG before then. I really suspect is was done as soon as the drains were fixed. DCL is good about such things, especially after having to "pay" compensation once.

Edited by moki'smommy