Taking food back to your room

mspinky36

I have read several people talking about taking food back to their room from the buffet. Is it normal for people to do that? Are you able to get a cover from the staff or do you need to get creative on your own?

I've been doing this for 17 years ever since our first balcony. No one bats an eye. Never bother with a cover, nor have ever asked for one.

My daughter was ill on one of our cruises and I brought her food back from the buffet more than once. No problems.

I often take bananas & apples etc back to the cabin for munching on later. Always carry my coffee or juice/tea etc out of the lido area. I never thought of taking a plate of cheese but that's a great idea.

One time I came down with a horrible cold during my cruise and didn't want to infect the rest of the guests so I stayed in my cabin and hubby brought food back to me from lido.

Empty trays always go outside of door and are picked up soon after. If I put them in my cabin, they will only be cleaned during turndown service and puts extra burden on room steward. Also sometimes room steward doesn't even clean dirty souvenir glasses on the vanity with fruit on it. Safest to put them outside where the right people can access them.

Going to bring one of those shallow tupperware (the kind that can hold at most 1 small sandwich) on next cruise to get some fruit/cheese to have in the room before dinner.

Sue me.

Expect a call from my lawyer (lol)

If you are talking about real Tupperware, I'd suggest getting a Ziploc or other brand of use a few times but eventually disposable container, rather than last forever Tupperware, so if you lose it, no big deal. I think it's a great idea - we were gifted a cheese tray on our last cruise (no idea from who, or why, staff is all I know), and if we'd had a covered container, we could have kept it until ready to eat, rather than it going hard before we could. Such a waste.

When we've ordered room service breakfast, I keep the pots of jam/marmalade in the fridge for the next day. We use so little of it, and I'm sure (I hope!) that they toss what isn't used, so why waste it? Keep todays for tomorrow, and don't order more.

I'm always surprised how passionate people are about food on this forum. Topics range from:

• What other food is available other than pizza late at night?

Between 11 pm and 1 am: Lasagna (every night), plus sausage and peppers, chicken parmesan or meatball hoagie (rotating nights)....on ships with Pizza Pirate Plus. :D

Edited by Pellaz

Wonder if someone has anything showing leaving your dirty dishes, uneaten food/scraps on the floor outside their door is official policy. I think that's pretty sloven. I don't want to see/smell your trash in the hallway.

Actually, John Heald, has posted this many times on his social media page. Whenever I order room service, they have also told me the same thing--leave it outside the room when done.

As a side note, I stayed at a very nice hotel in Miami after my last cruise, their room service person told me the same thing..when done...leave the tray outside the room on the floor for pick up.

We do it. Although after we are done eating I put all the used plates on the "coffee table". I prefer not to leave them out side the door, just so they aren't in the way of people walking by.

It's sometimes nice to be on the balcony eating lunch or having coffee. Besides the menu in the room is not a big one and can take longer for you to get your food. We will do room service in the morning, but we order it the night before.

I don't have a problem with it. It is nice to store your dishes in the cabin....would be nice if they had some sort of rule about not leaving them in the hallways, it's sorta trashy...

also, not sure if this makes any sense, but it would be cool if there was a little room in every section where you could take your tray, dump your trash and stack your trays, like at mcdonalds or whatever...even a small alcove for every section or something so the most they'd have to do is take out the trash and get the trays back to dining...

I don't have a problem with it. It is nice to store your dishes in the cabin....would be nice if they had some sort of rule about not leaving them in the hallways, it's sorta trashy...

But they basically have the opposite "rule" - Carnival (per their spokesperson) wants you to leave them in the hallways.

People get a tad ridiculous about trays in the hallway. How is it affecting the carpet? Are people dumping their food directly on the floor? No. Putting a tray on the floor doesn't dirty the carpet.

well,, the drunks can stagger.. and step on trays and spill the contents.. I have seen entire portions left out.... and been spilled... or stepped on.. and the carpet stays stinky for the rest of the week.

and.. there are a couple ships I have been on, where the hall ceiling decorations are sort of like a shelf ... and you can toss food up there... the tiles are sort of mirrored... so if you look in the ceiling reflection you can see moldy junk up there... yeck!

I would prefer the dishes had a better return method than the hall floor.. but ... I don't let it ruin my vacation..

One time I came down with a horrible cold during my cruise and didn't want to infect the rest of the guests so I stayed in my cabin and hubby brought food back to me from lido.

as you are expected to... passengers must quarantine themselves if they are sick..

But they basically have the opposite "rule" - Carnival (per their spokesperson) wants you to leave them in the hallways.

They also like people that carry their own luggage and perform their own entertainment.

It's too bad they don't have a place to put them. Until they do, I put the tray under my sink. Its gone when they make the room.

They also like people that carry their own luggage and perform their own entertainment.

It's too bad they don't have a place to put them. Until they do, I put the tray under my sink. Its gone when they make the room.

If CCL were the only one that did it this way people might have a point, but NCL also does it this way (and other cruise lines AFAIK) and it's also a practice in every hotel I've ever stayed in that offered room service.

• 1 year later...
On our last trip on the Breeze I would get up and go to the omelette station to get breakfast for my wife and I. I would cover each plate with another plate turned upside down and stack them on top of each other. Worked nicely. We left the plates in the room each time but I have read that you really need to leave it all in the hall. I've always thought that looked so tacky.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is the omelette station in the main dining room or the buffet area?

But you can also get an omelet in the dining room off the menu but the omelette station is located in the buffet area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is good info because I'm trying to figure out a plan for getting some eggs early and taking them to our room. A omelette section in the buffet area sounds perfect.