Taking food back to your room

mspinky36

We have always taken plates of food from Lido, from the dining room, etc... back to our room to enjoy on our balcony. ALWAYS HAVE, ALWAYS WILL.

Carnival room stewards have requested we leave the trays in the hallway and so we always do as requested.

Seems that the biggest risk of getting policed for taking food out of the lido buffet or anywhere is here on the CC boards :rolleyes:

So So True! :') John Heald just discussed this on his Facebook thread this week. It is beyond me why one passenger would care whether or not another passenger takes food to their cabin. This is the type of thing that gives Cruise Critic a bad name and boggles the mind.

For those who are new or genuinely don't know... it's YOUR cruise.... do what YOU want and ENJOY YOUR CRUISE.... that's what Carnival wants you to do! ;)

Yesterday was the last full day of our cruise. We usually get early dining, but it was a last minute booking and we were stuck with late. Either way we always go with the mdr. We were hungry about two hours before dinner, so we went up to the Lido to get a light snack. We had checked out the evening menu and did not see any desserts we were interested in. The Lido had carrot cake, so i tried one. I ended up bringing more back to the cabin for an after dinner dessert. First time we ever did that. The, later that night I see John Heald's poll about doing that. I lol'd.

We took food back to our room every single day for different reasons.

-We wanted something to snack on later but didn’t want to go back up to the Lido deck for it.

-Someone was sleeping while we went out to eat without them, so I brought them back something to munch on.

-Didn’t want to be around people at the moment.

-It was faster than room service.

We weren’t the only people either. We would walk from one end of the ship to another, and we would pass by trays left in front of cabin doors, waiting to get picked up.

In our experience, there are no covers but I would just put another plate covering the plate of food. :)

It’s your cruise and you can take it back if you want to.

We’ve always taken food back to room after late nights or while kids napped, etc. and never had any issues. And I read recently that the cruise line actually does want the dishes placed in the hallway so that they can be washed and put back into circulation quickly. Most room stewards won’t leave them there for any length of time.

Most room stewards won’t leave them there for any length of time.

Many are under the false assumption that the cabin stewards clear the hallways of dishes. While the cabin stewards do remove trays with soiled dishes, glassware and cutlery from the cabins they place these items in the hallways. It is the food and beverage room service department employees who do routine sweeps of the decks to retrieve the soiled service-ware and return same to the galleys for washing.

We always grab food to eat in the buffet and then bring back a plate of snack type stuff to the room. We don't leave the plates in the hall because that's a tripping hazard.

Also, please do not use your own tupperwares to serve into. That's unsanitary. Just because you think it's "clean" does not make it so, and you risk touching the utensils to your gross tupperwares. Use the plates provided and then transfer the food into your tupperware from your plate with your silverware, NOT the serving utensils that touch the food everyone else eats! Food safety is not something to mess around with.

While I agree with you about the tripping hazard (and I also don't want to see someones half eaten burger and fries), just so you know, Carnival requests that we DO put our leftovers in the hall - as others have noted there has been much posted by JH recently on his FB page on this subject.

I am not a millennial so while I don't agree, I will honor their request! ;p:D

Wait? ... Am I the only person that takes his dirty dishes back up to the buffet area? :eek: Seriously? People don't clean up after themselves? They wait for someone else to do it? My Mother raised me better than that. :confused:

You are not the only one. If I bring a plate to the cabin, I always take the plate back to Lido. I know people say you don't have to - I know I don't have to, but I choose to. Now, if it's a room service order, I try to cover the "leftovers" and leave them in the hallway. I do hate seeing half eaten food in the hallway.

Heck, I even bring the plastic cups back to the Lido. I don't want to put extra work on the steward when it's very easy to take things back to where you got them.

I for one am thrilled to know I can bring food back. My family (hubby, 14 year old son and I) have lost a total of 180 pounds since January. I was worried about the buffet every morning and lunch. Being able to bring back fruit to have as a snack will help. Don't get me wrong I plan to enjoy the food. But I also think being able to eat it in my room will help.

I love to eat on my Balcony. I always bring my own tray which I label to make sure that room service and the steward does not take it. On day one I order something from room service and ask to keep the covers for the week. I also book as close to the buffet as possible one floor up.

I do not like the dishes in the room or the hall, so I also deliver my dishes back to the buffet when I am done.

My wife and I both enjoy a little night snack so I routinely grab a couple of bowls of various meats & cheese from the salad bar. (Plus fruit for her.) Those same bowls have been cleared the following day during room servicing and they don't clutter the hallways...something of a concern since I have to get a wheelchair though there. (Normal trays haven't been an issue when they are placed close to the wall, but a couple of times I've had to redirect around what looks like a game of leftover dominos.)

The big boxes in the staterooms do not keep perishable products at a temp safe level so I would caution anyone storing food there. I only put water in and it never gets very cold.
If you prop open the wood door to the fridge slightly. It will allow air flow and you fridge will run more efficiently.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app