transportation in Stockholm

TeanneTX

We are looking for suggestions for transportation from the port in Stockholm to the airport. We will want to leave the ship after dinner and then go to a hotel at the airport since we have any early flight out in the morning. Any suggestions on good transports which are reasonably priced?

Teanne

You say: "We will want to leave the ship after dinner and then go to a hotel at the airport since we have any early flight out in the morning."

Are you leaving the ship before the final debarkation destination? Because if you are at your final destination, you will find that most cruise ships get you off in the morning hours - they have a short time to clean/clear/restock before they take off again in the afternoon with a new group of passengers.

Just wondering....

You say: "We will want to leave the ship after dinner and then go to a hotel at the airport since we have any early flight out in the morning."

Are you leaving the ship before the final debarkation destination? Because if you are at your final destination, you will find that most cruise ships get you off in the morning hours - they have a short time to clean/clear/restock before they take off again in the afternoon with a new group of passengers.

Just wondering....

This sailing has an overnight in Stockholm at the conclusion of the cruise - passengers disembark the next morning.

Edited by dogs4fun

We are looking for suggestions for transportation from the port in Stockholm to the airport. We will want to leave the ship after dinner and then go to a hotel at the airport

since we have any early flight out in the morning. Any suggestions on good transports which are reasonably priced?

Teanne

See my thread, it lists the available transport options. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312690

Just wondering....

Yes-the ship overnights in Stockholm and since we have an 8:30 am flight to home we plan to leave the ship the night before disembarkation since we have such an early flight. The ship arrives on the 31st and then ends on 6/1. Hope that makes sense.

• 1 month later...
We are looking for suggestions for transportation from the port in Stockholm to the airport. Any suggestions on good transports which are reasonably priced?

Teanne

From a fellow Texan. The easiest might be a transfer company. Since you mention reasonably priced this would be my suggestion. Take a cab from the port to Grand Central in Stockholm. Arlanda Express is the option. Speed train going back and forth all the time. It takes 25 minutes and other transport will be about an hour. We were there in September and used this transportation as our way to the city when we arrived. It will be cheaper than a private service and a good tip is to purchase ticket on line as far ahead as you can because the longer between purchase and ride the lower the price. Might you be doing a Viking Ocean cruise? I know they overnight there. That's why we went.

From a fellow Texan. The easiest might be a transfer company. Since you mention reasonably priced this would be my suggestion. Take a cab from the port to Grand Central in Stockholm. Arlanda Express is the option. Speed train going back and forth all the time. It takes 25 minutes and other transport will be about an hour. We were there in September and used this transportation as our way to the city when we arrived. It will be cheaper than a private service and a good tip is to purchase ticket on line as far ahead as you can because the longer between purchase and ride the lower the price. Might you be doing a Viking Ocean cruise? I know they overnight there. That's why we went.

Dear fellow Texan-thanks for the info on the transportation. No we're not on Viking. We're on Celebrity Silhouette and this will be out 3rd time on this ship. We love it-its a beautiful ship and Celebrity is our favorite line. My plan is to spend the day touring around Stockholm and seeing the sights-then go back to the ship, pack, have dinner and then somehow get to the airport. We have an 7:45 am flight out the next day so we have reservations for the Raddison at the airport for the night. I may do what you suggest. Cab from the ship to the Grand Central-is that where I pick up the Arlanda Express? We've used public transportation only once before and that was from Rome to the port and it was pretty easy since things were in english too. How easy is it to find the correct train once at the Grand Central? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Teanne

Dear fellow Texan-thanks for the info on the transportation. No we're not on Viking. We're on Celebrity Silhouette and this will be out 3rd time on this ship. We love it-its a beautiful ship and Celebrity is our favorite line. My plan is to spend the day touring around Stockholm and seeing the sights-then go back to the ship, pack, have dinner and then somehow get to the airport. We have an 7:45 am flight out the next day so we have reservations for the Raddison at the airport for the night. I may do what you suggest. Cab from the ship to the Grand Central-is that where I pick up the Arlanda Express? We've used public transportation only once before and that was from Rome to the port and it was pretty easy since things were in english too. How easy is it to find the correct train once at the Grand Central? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Teanne

Now I took it from the airport to town but it was vary well marked. It is different form the normal Stockholm trains and arrives at street level. It runs about every 20 mins. It is a little expensive but the earlier you buy the tickets on line the cheaper they are. There is also a special from Thursday through Sunday I was just reading about but can't give you exact details. The setup and atmosphere is great. There is a place to put your luggage. If you go in the main entrance head to the right and it won't be far. When we left Bergen, we also made arrangements to stay at an airport hotel the night before departure to have ease of access in the morning so I guess great minds think alike!

• 7 months later...
We are looking for suggestions for transportation from the port in Stockholm to the airport. We will want to leave the ship after dinner and then go to a hotel at the airport since we have any early flight out in the morning. Any suggestions on good transports which are reasonably priced?

Teanne

We are thinking of doing the same thing next year. What did you end up doing? We need taxi / car service for three.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are thinking of doing the same thing next year. What did you end up doing? We need taxi / car service for three.

Thank you

It worked out perfectly for us. We left the ship about 9 pm and had no problems with that-just basically walked off the ship with our luggage. I had a reservation with "suntransfer" to pick us up at 9 pm and there was a few others who were doing the same thing. Our driver was about 15 min late but that was OK because I discovered I had left my "cruise folder" in the cabin with all our info so I had to get back on the ship to get that. We got picked up and taken to the hotel which was at the airport. It was more expensive then taking the train but I really didn't want to do that at night. We've taken trains before in other countries but after such a port intensive cruise-we were exhausted and it was worth the extra money for the convenience. I booked the transfer on their website and it was very easy. If you have any further questions about the cruise-feel free to email me directly at: Teannetx@hotmail.com It was an incredible cruise and one I will never forget.

Teanne

Thank you

Take a taxi.TaxiStockholm is the recommended one. There is no point in going to the station for the Arlanda express which is expensive. You can book taxiStockholm on line or from the cruise terminal. There is normally a fixed rate to the airport. Ask for that.

I have to agree. Take a taxi if you are 2 or more people. If you're docking at Frihamnen it will go faster with a taxi too. There's a reasonable new tunnel from there, so you should be at the airport in about 30-35min. The Arlanda Express will take 20min but you have to get to the central station first.