Norwegian "Newbie" -- Show me the ropes!

Bookster99

Hello! I am a newcomer to the Norwegian cruise lines. I have cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and am looking forward to cruising with Norwegian Christmas 2017.

I would like to hear how people compare the different lines. For instance, on the cruises I have been on, Formal Night is kind of a deal. We wear tuxedos, and the main dining room steps it up a notch. My understanding is there is none of that on Norwegian. No tux needed.

What other differences have you noticed? If I have an idea what to expect, I am sure I will have an even more wonderful time.

Thanks in advance!

Helllooo!!

I have the perfect post for exactly this question: 8 things I wish I knew before cruising with NCL. http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/

Have a brilliant time! I love NCL, it's so relaxed and there is so much to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Helllooo!!

I have the perfect post for exactly this question: 8 things I wish I knew before cruising with NCL. http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/

Have a brilliant time! I love NCL, it's so relaxed and there is so much to do.

Love the one your with !

I have the perfect post for exactly this question: 8 things I wish I knew before cruising with NCL.

Did you author this? If so - it may be worth mentioning that you can't book shows on any pre-epic class ship, and that there is a complimentary (albeit limited) breakfast room service menu.

Did you author this? If so - it may be worth mentioning that you can't book shows on any pre-epic class ship, and that there is a complimentary (albeit limited) breakfast room service menu.

Yess I did. Good point about the booking, I always forget pre epic ships exist haha. Hang on, the breakfast room service is free?! Well I may have been missing out!!

Thanks for your reply, I do want to make it as useful as possible :)

Hello! I am a newcomer to the Norwegian cruise lines. I have cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and am looking forward to cruising with Norwegian Christmas 2017.

I would like to hear how people compare the different lines. For instance, on the cruises I have been on, Formal Night is kind of a deal. We wear tuxedos, and the main dining room steps it up a notch. My understanding is there is none of that on Norwegian. No tux needed.

What other differences have you noticed? If I have an idea what to expect, I am sure I will have an even more wonderful time.

Thanks in advance!

What Carnival, Royal Caribbean ships did you cruise on and when. I haven't seen more than 2 or three tuxedos on either of those lines since we started cruising in 2013. Formal nights usually mean a suite or sports coat on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Same on Norwegian only more optional.

Thanks in advance!

While there is no formal tuxedo required night, there is Norwegian's Night Out. A lot of people do step it up a notch, although it is not required. I saw many glitzy gowns and suited men, some even in tuxes, up having pictures taken with the captain and staff on this night. We usually do specialty dining and like getting glammed up a bit for dinner, but the men just wear dress pants and a button down without a tie for dinner every night and that's just fine too. That said, if you don't participate, no one cares.

Freestyle doesn't mean sloppy and unfashionable, if just means you wear what you want to and eat in the venues where that style is ok.

You'll want to pack an all white outfit for the White Hot party, called the Glow party on some ships. Everyone wears white, they hand out glowsticks, sell light up glasses, etc and dance the night away. It's a lot of fun! Doesn't have to be fancy, white slacks or a skirt and a t-shirt is just fine, although some go all out and they look fantastic.

If you're on a ship with a Thermal Spa and you like the water features and quiet peaceful relaxation, the pass is totally worth it. You can search youtube for thermal spa on Epic or Gem or any ship that has one to see a tour.

If you drink more than 2-3 cocktails or 4-5 beers a day, the Unlimited beverage package, which is a free choice right now, but incurred an 18% gratuity, (Just under $200 for 2 people on a 7 day sailing.) is well worth it and saves you from the bar bill at the end of your cruise.

Shore excursions through the ship are inflated. Visit the boards for the ports of call you are visiting for reviews about the various things to do on the islands and you'll find excursions to meet your needs without the mark-up.

If you enjoy your cruise, put down Cruise Next deposits. You can buy up to 4 for $250 each, and you'll earn ship board credit which can be applied to the certificates. For instance, you're really only out of pocket $500 for 4 $250 certificates, or $250 for 2 $250 certificates. The past two years they've run specials where you can apply 2 certificates to a booking instead of one. Watch for these deals for added savings.

Bottled water isn't included in the UBP. If you drink a lot of water and don't mind the ship's water, (I find it fine) you may want to bring a small refillable bottle to have refilled on your way back to your room to keep in your mini-fridge.

Read the reviews and comments on the boards concerning the actual ship you're sailing. They're all linked right above this thread.

Show up early to all the fun stuff, like the Newlywed Game & Bingo and anything else you're into that's held in any of the lounges for good seats. They fill up fast.

If there's anything specific you're wondering, first go up to the search bar and type in a few key words like "favorite cocktail" or "Cagney's or LeBistro" or "Tipping onboard" It'll bring up many threads on these subjects for you to peruse.

Happy Sailing!