Tips

Alicomp

This will be the first time we will be on a cruise where tips are not included ( although we gave extra to those members of the crew who went above and beyond).

I have read that we can either give cash tips or have the purser's desk (or whatever it is called) add the tips to our account. Has anyone had tips added to your account? How does it work? Do you tell them how much you want to give to each person ?

How have those of you who have sailed recently handled tips?

Thank you.

Alice

If you put tips on your account, they are divvied up at Viking's discretion. The suggested amount per person per day should be in the cruise docs booklet and it will be repeated again once you are on board. The amount can be adjusted up or down. Additional amounts to individual crew members is done in cash.

Tip is included in the price of drinks from the bar. I didn't use the spa, so I'm not sure how it works there.

We chose to put the tips on our account and then gave additional tips to a couple of people. It was much easier than having to carry so much cash.

We Aussies unfortunately have a reputation as being a little tight when it comes to tipping(!), hence Viking Australia includes gratuities in the fare which I think is a great idea.

We did give extra to our cabin staff for carrying out their duties over and above what we expected.

From what I remember there was a recommended daily charge for non-Aussies ;)

Having gone on first ocean cruise but in river cruises, we paid the recommended tip but then we alsways gave extra to our cabin steward and certain bartenders and certain dining room personel. The cabin steward we gave something everyday and I always wrap it with a piece of candy from the states. They get a kick out of it

The reason for tipping daily in a hotel is one never sees/knows the attendant each day. That is not true on a ship.

True, but I find that the stewards appreciate that each day is a thank you from us. I think that they appreciate the candy more, lol

If you put tips on your account, they are divvied up at Viking's discretion. The suggested amount per person per day should be in the cruise docs booklet and it will be repeated again once you are on board. The amount can be adjusted up or down. Additional amounts to individual crew members is done in cash.

Tip is included in the price of drinks from the bar. I didn't use the spa, so I'm not sure how it works there.

We chose to put the tips on our account and then gave additional tips to a couple of people. It was much easier than having to carry so much cash.

When did you tell them to add tips to your account? At the beginning of the cruise or any time during the cruise.

I think we will do the same thing; have them added to our account and then give extra to those who did a really good job.

When did you tell them to add tips to your account? At the beginning of the cruise or any time during the cruise.

I think we will do the same thing; have them added to our account and then give extra to those who did a really good job.

I just consulted the cruise docs booklet for our up-coming trip. Viking automatically puts the tips on all accounts at the suggested daily per person rate. If you want to make any changes to the amount or remove it entirely, you may go to the Explorers Desk (aka Guest Services) on Deck 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Oceans room service is very good. We used it for breakfast fairly often when we were disembarking in port early....and they offer a wide range of food throughout the day. It was always delivered promptly and hot foods were in fact still hot.

That said.....I still think that fresh in the restaurants is better.....but I also think that is to be expected?

I'm wondering the same about room service tipping...on other ocean cruises we would usually give them $2 or $3 in cash when they brought the food. Wondering about Viking? And I did hear that you can get the wine delivered to your cabin with your dinner. Our friends did it. Merry Christmas!!

• 3 weeks later...
I still have not received an answer :D. Can anyone chime in here and let me know what you did for tipping room service people?

We did room service twice but didn't tip from what I remember. Our gratuities were prepaid, but we did leave cash for our cabin stewards on our departure.

h2o wondering the same thing....I know some say they don't tip because they prepay gratuities (we do, too) but on all ocean cruises we have always given 2 or 3 US dollars per delivery. Is this normal? What do you all do?

I always tip Room Service a few dollars. Depends on how big the order is

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How much is the daily tip amount added by purser to one's ship board account? Thanks. Is the daily tip rate the same for Viking river cruises as their ocean ones?

It's $15.00 per day per person. About the same as large cruise lines